• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 2)

I went to the new Vivace this morning. Good news: it's open, and the coffee is just as good as any other Vivace location. Bad news: the wine idea didn't work out, although they will have bottled beer.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I was going to try Herfy's on the Ave last night just for the heck of it, but it seems like all the crack dealers from north of 47th have moved down to where the food is cheaper.

Is this the same Herfy's that is in Uwayjimaya (sp)?

Same owners, different location. How is the food at the Uwajimaya location (specifically the burgers and fries)?

BTW This was in the Everett Herald

Published: Monday, March 13, 2006

Herfy's is back, but in name only

In one of your recent editions there was an insert ad that showed a menu and the statement that "Herfy's is back in Everett."

We started Herfy's in 1963 and a few short years ago closed the last Herfy's and retired.

Someone has taken the logo and name, but not the product. There were sauces, such as the Hefty sauce, that could not be duplicated. They have expanded the menu to include many ethnic products that the original Herfy's never produced.

Herfy's may be back again, but let's make one thing very clear, it's in name only!

BILL and ANNA LUCAS

Everett

FRED and PEGGY SCHMIDT

Lake Stevens

Edited by elswinger (log)

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

There's a new market/deli downtown called Westlake Specialty Foods. It's on 7th Ave between Stewart and Virginia, across the street from the big courthouse.

They've got a great selection of high-end groceries and a lot of wines, plus made to order sandwiches with Boar's Head meats. The sandwich I had the other day was nearly 3 inches thick! The people that work there are super friendly, too.

Sweet and Savory in Mount Baker - who's gone?  I hear it is fantastic.

I read the extremely enthusiastic review on Seattle Bon Vivant, but haven't been there myself yet.

I went last Saturday AND Sunday. Yes, it was that good. Saturday I had the carrot soup, with these thin ham and cheese sandwiches, a whipped cream strawberry tart (which a chocolate cream base), an orange date scone and the housemade french hot chocolate. All of the above was exceptionally good - although the housemade hot chocolate is in a very tiny espresso cup. It was still really good, with a little pepper in it for kick. And the scone! Wonderful. This woman is exceptional at pastries.

On Sunday, I had a croissant and a coconut cream tart. The croissant was very good - about on par with Columbia City Bakery on their good days. The coconut cream tart wasn't like the Triple Coconut Cream at Etta's - it was very subtle, could have had more coconut or something flavoring for punch. But I think I'm going to make my weekend visits a habit, especially since it only took me 2 minutes to get there.

Now I'm going to have to try Mioposto. That place was packaed when I drove by on Sunday with my Sweet and Savory goodies. Looks like it'll be a hit - for now.

We stopped in Zig Zag last night and the pretty blonde behind the bar was saying that her friends went to Cremant and loved it- so it is open.

Does anyone know if Licorous is open now? We'd love to take some out of town friends to Lark next weekend but having a bar to wait in would be so much nicer than perching on the sofa in the front of the house.

As of Tuesday night, Licorous hadn't opened yet... the windows were still very papered up.

Licorous won't be open any time in the next couple of weeks. They're still working things out there and are in no hurry.

Just stopped in at the new wine bar on top of Queen Anne: Bricco. (snip)

Bricco

1525 Queen Anne Ave N

206-285-4900

I stopped by Bricco tonight. It's heavy heavy on the Italian wines, (duh I guess I should be able to tell that from the name) & they only had like maybe 8 french wines --But I guess italian is their bent, and I'm not complaining THAT loudly. I had a glass of Oregon Pinot Noir (Yamhill Valley 2002) which was lovely, and due to the kindness of the person sitting next to me at the bar, who offered to split panini with me, we each got to taste two sammies instead of just one!

Coppa with montasio & olive tapenade, and the second; hot sopressata with herbed brie, both served on Macrina olive bread.

I liked both of these, and the person I split the sammies with said that the bruschetta there also rocks.

They feature Armandino's salumi (the source of the coppa and sopressata on our panini), and a whole huge list of cheeses, panini, salads, and entrees. I'm happy this little joint opened in my neighborhood!

Born Free, Now Expensive

I stopped by Bricco tonight. It's heavy heavy on the Italian wines, (duh I guess I should be able to tell that from the name) & they only had like maybe 8 french wines

I need to check it out. There aren't many places in town that have good Italian wine lists. Their website is horrendous, but I was able to see they have an interesting selection.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

... but I was able to see they have an interesting selection.

yup, and the "by the glass" wines change every night. always something new to try! i've been in a several times now, and it's becoming one of my favorite places on queen anne since the demise of sapphire as we once knew it.

• 2 weeks later...

Liberty has finally opened on 15th Ave E on Capitol Hill, in the space that used to be the Trinkets and Treasures thrift store. They'll be serving sushi, wine and cocktails. The decor is clean and modern, with leather couches up front, a 10-12 seat bar, and tall cocktail tables with banquette seating in the back. It's kind of a soft opening this week, no menu yet although they are serving sushi (just tell them what you want), and they don't yet have a full bar (no campari = no negroni = sadness). The owner came by our table and offered a complimentary sampler of sushi, which was nice. Snapper and salmon nigiri, and spicy scallops with roe. I didn't try any since I wasn't hungry at all, but my friend did and said it was good.

Overall, it feels like a nice addition to the neighborhood. Grand opening will be this Friday.

Tried out Cremant last night, there are still a few new restaurant bumps to smooth out there such as getting doneness right but overall it was a positive experience. Wonderful glass selection for the wines, almost every wine on the list is available by the glass. Good flavors and pretty good service that is still settling in but even so, still better than average. The cassoulet looked very good, and the duck confit was excellent, good cheese selection and a very generous cheese plate with ten cheeses is available for just $10. I would not hesitate to go back and it has all the makings of a very good restaurant.

Rocky

I went to S&S a while back - too late in the day for full selection. Wasn't remarkable enough for me to drive back, but if in the neighborhood, sure.

So what's being built out in the old Sit and Spin space on 4th just North of Blanchard? Looks like a full bar and lots of space. Can't tell from online info and no sign in the window when I walked by last night.

Spitfire, a bar brought to you by Marcus Charles, the former owner of Marcus' Martini Lounge and the Rendesvous, and the current owner of the Bad Juju and part owner of Neumos.

Bistro Magnolia on 65th and 22nd N E has closed. Had a 'closed for remodelling' sign in the window for a while but now has a sign for a new place opening in it's place, 'Hot Dish'. Maybe it'll be traditional Minnesota casseroles...

Also, a great way to find out about openings, and sometimes closings, is the Washington State Liquor Control Board's website. They list the names and addresses of new restaurants starting up and the old place that closed if there was one in that spot before. Pretty sneaky, eh?

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

chuck, followed your tip for the LCB website, and noticed this very interesting application:

Notification Date: 4/7/2006

Business Name: CHOCOLATE LOUNGE

Business Location: 3400 PHINNY AVE N SEATTLE, WA 98103-8624

Applicant(s): CHOCOLATE LOUNGE LLC; DOUGLAS, THOMAS EDWARD; CROSS, JACALYN

Liquor License Type: SPIRITS/BR/WN REST LOUNGE +; CATERING

Application Type: NEW APPLICATION

3400 Phinney is the address of Theo Chocolate (www.theochocolate.com)

Hungry Monkey May 2009

chuck, followed your tip for the LCB website, and noticed this very interesting application:

Notification Date:  4/7/2006

Business Name:  CHOCOLATE LOUNGE

Business Location:  3400 PHINNY AVE N    SEATTLE,  WA 98103-8624

Applicant(s):  CHOCOLATE LOUNGE LLC; DOUGLAS, THOMAS EDWARD; CROSS, JACALYN

Liquor License Type:  SPIRITS/BR/WN REST LOUNGE +; CATERING

Application Type:  NEW APPLICATION

And isn't that the location of the place that did the truffles for the Union Italian dinner and gifted us with cocoa nibs? Well, Tom and Jackie getting into chocolate! I have to say, I see nada wrong about a "Chocolate Lounge!" :wub:

So very sad about Bistro Magnolia! I was really pulling for Matias to get it back together! Oh well, so many great restaurants, so little time and especially not enough $$$! :sad:

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

Notification Date:  4/7/2006

Business Name:  CHOCOLATE LOUNGE

Business Location:  3400 PHINNY AVE N    SEATTLE,  WA 98103-8624

Applicant(s):  CHOCOLATE LOUNGE LLC; DOUGLAS, THOMAS EDWARD; CROSS, JACALYN

Liquor License Type:  SPIRITS/BR/WN REST LOUNGE +; CATERING

Application Type:  NEW APPLICATION

Well, Tom and Jackie getting into chocolate! I have to say, I see nada wrong about a "Chocolate Lounge!" :wub:

Tom talked about it on the radio show a few weeks ago. They are working on savory dishes using chocolate - mole, shortribs finished with cocoa butter...plus desserts. Or so one of the employees mentioned in passing.

Full Disclosure: the guys behind Hot Dish are friends of mine and I've helped in the most minor of ways with their opening. I have no stake in the restaurant other than wanting to see dear friends succeed.

It's going to be "American Comfort", serving breakfast as well as L/D, and the full bar remains. Dan's got a way with comfort food, and aside from his churlish insistence that peas don't belong in tuna-noodle casserole, he's very on-plan. Expect a couple of interesting finds on the breakfast menu, sandwiches and a handful of entrees at lunch, and intensive comfort at dinner.

They expect to open in the next few weeks.

Eric

Full Disclosure:  the guys behind Hot Dish are friends of mine and I've helped in the most minor of ways with their opening.  I have no stake in the restaurant other than wanting to see dear friends succeed.

It's going to be "American Comfort", serving breakfast as well as L/D, and the full bar remains.  Dan's got a way with comfort food, and aside from his churlish insistence that peas don't belong in tuna-noodle casserole, he's very on-plan.  Expect a couple of interesting finds on the breakfast menu, sandwiches and a handful of entrees at lunch, and intensive comfort at dinner.

They expect to open in the next few weeks.

Eric

Ravenna, kids:

website

Looks like Axis in Belltown is thankfully NOT going to be a Hooters, but rather something called Amber Seattle.  They've got a website, but no content or clues, except a "TM" after the name... is this a chain?

Isn't it the people who brought us Cowgirls" or some such, in Pioneer Square?

Walked up to the new Gorditos on Queen Anne last night. We timed it just right and the lined formed behind us - all the way out the door and it was still that way when we left. The kitchen did not seem overwhelmed at all, I think they just need to add a cashier or expedite that part of the process.

The room is nice enough when empty, but full up and it is loud and raucous and seems more cafeteria than cantina. The floor is hard, the walls and ceiling are hard, the tables and chairs are hard, even the artwork is all hard angles. Nothing outside of the kitchen seems warm or welcoming.

The food was fine. The chips okay but not great, the salsa a warm mix that was more than mild enough for all of the young children there with their familes. My enchilladas were good if excessively cheesed and a little under sauced.

Spicier blends of salsa are offered on a self service bar. And speaking of bars, they have a semi full one and were cranking out decent margaritas (which I ordered because it was loud and cold in there and there were many kids running around).

The thing I really want to mention is the size of the food. They have a burrito there that is made from two full size flour tortillas - stuffed full. It is definetly enough for cheap eats for two (or maybe more).

cburnsi