• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 2)

The BBQ & Bourbon place looks intriguing. The menu is a bit sparse, but I would assume they have nightly specials. Too bad they aren't open for lunch.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

these days, HULK GIVE BREATHALYZER TEST.

Well, he did say he wants to work to get kids off drugs. And smashing a wine bar is of course an important part of that goal.

And bistro. Can't forget the bistro.

Did anyone catch in Nancy's column in today's Times that John Sundstrom wants to call his new Lark adjunct "Licorous"? Think that one will pass muster?

edit: I just typed "adjunk" instead of "adjunct." Wow.

Edited by mamster (log)

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Licorous = Lame, even though I'm very excited for it to open.

Too many syllables, and unpronounceable. One word, one syllable is the "thing" isn't it? Bonus points for a bird word (e.g. Crow, Lark). Or a simple noun stating exactly what the place is (e.g. Dinette).

Other options: Lick, Bark, Slurp, Sit, Slip, Wren, Duck, Sway, or Saloon.

If they're not into that, how about Licorice? At least people know what is, and it's pretty similar to what they have picked out already.

Licorous means: Relishing good food. Arousing hunger; appetizing.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

There's a bit about the Bourbon and BBQ Grill in Nancy Leson's column today-it sounds good! Shrimp and catfish po'boys on the menu...now if only they add an oyster po'boy.

Since these guys are in our neighborhood we decided to go check them out tonight. Pretty darn good, especially for being so new.

The space still needs sorting out. They have about 7 tables on the dining side and some of them are tucked into the corner in such a way that you'd have to climb over other patrons to get in & out of your seats, while some of the others seem to be a little lost in a larger space, but I'm sure that will get worked out with time...

We started with the deep fried artichokes, and I have to say, I could LIVE on these artichokes! they were lighly battered, with a nice spicy flavor to the batter, and most importantly they were completely ungreasy! served with a spicy thousand island type sauce which appeals to the inner 10 year old, but really isn't necessary.

I decided on the pulled pork sandwich while Bill had the Red Beans & Rice New Orleans style dinner topped with the same pulled pork. Bill wasn't excited by the beans & rice, which he said worked under the BBQ but would be too plain on their own (they are offered as a side). Now I have a personal preference for Kansas City style BBQ, but if you want to serve me what I assume is New Orleans style BBQ I won't discriminate :wink: this is a fairly mild sauce with a bit of vinegar to it. If you like hot BBQ I think they have jars of chili sauce that they'll bring you to spice things up. Most importantly, the meat was moist, and there was enough sauce to go around without drowning out the pork flavor. Seemed like there was less meat on the sandwich than with the Beans & Rice, for the same price, so carnivores take note. I also had a side of cornbread which they make on the light side to showcase the sweet whole kernels hiding inside. Very versatile, you could eat it on it's own as a sweet (with honey if you ask) or dip it in the sauce for a savory treat.

Being full we skipped dessert, but next time I'll leave room. I want to see what they mean by "key lime cake"

here's their webpage. By all means go check them out - and order the artichokes!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

• 3 weeks later...
The BBQ & Bourbon place looks intriguing.  The menu is a bit sparse, but I would assume they have nightly specials.  Too bad they aren't open for lunch.

My friend and I went on Saturday and we were very disappointed. I guess just because someone comes from the south doesn't mean they're good at Southern cooking. The ribs were cooked fine, but the sauce was sickly sweet and yet bland. The fries were battered and bland, and the boneless, skinless chicken was dry. My friend's brisket suffered from the same sweet sauce. His red beans were OK but the rice was a soggy mess. He did say the cornbread was good.

The service was so-so. Besided my friend and I there was a table of four boysterous folk who were having a good time and they seemed to like the food. The "chef" came out and talked to them at length while our waiter ignored our request for hot sauce. I don't need to go back.

We went last weekend, too, and were also not terribly impressed. Nothing (ribs and shrimp po'boy) was bad, but nothing was great, either. My expectations had been higher after reading about the chef.

Sorry to hear Bourbon & BBQ isn't improving what I hoped were early day jitters! I'm still going back for those artichokes :wub: but I'll avoid the fries!

I noticed the other day that Coffee messiah seems to be dead. (unless it's planning a resurrection in another location :raz: )

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I noticed the other day that Coffee messiah seems to be dead. (unless it's planning a resurrection in another location  :raz: )

Yeah, I read recently that it had closed. New owner apparently didn't fully understand what he was getting into and couldn't make it pencil out.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Has anyone tried Szechuan Chef in Bellevue, the place that Nancy Leson wrote about in today's Times? It sounds worth a trip across the bridge. I hadn't realized 7 Stars Pepper had been sold last year-there was no change in quality or waitstaff.

Has anyone tried Szechuan Chef in Bellevue, the place that Nancy Leson wrote about in today's Times? It sounds worth a trip across the bridge. I hadn't realized 7 Stars Pepper had been sold last year-there was no change in quality or waitstaff.

David and I went on Wednesday night, the day of the review.

Not surprisingly, they were clearly overwhelmed, even though the restaurant wasn't full (it's big.) I had to get up and walk over to a waiter to get our menus (if we'd waited for someone to come to our table, it would have taken a half an hour.) We had to ask for water three times.

The good news is that food-wise it seems to be Seven Stars in Bellevue, which is a dream come true for me. We had the Chong Gin chicken, which was exactly as good as it is at Seven Stars. We also had a seafood curry that was great. I noticed many of the favorites from Seven Stars on the menu--dan dan noodles, ant on a tree, cumin lamb. The specials board had only one item--Szechwan crab. However, the menu itself is huge, so I think perhaps the specials have been incorporated in the menu itself. We also saw quite a lot of people enjoying hot pot there.

So bottom line, at this point, for Seattleites it's probably not worth crossing the bridge, when Seven Stars has basically the same food and better service.

David and I went on Wednesday night, the day of the review.

Not surprisingly, they were clearly overwhelmed, even though the restaurant wasn't full (it's big.) I had to get up and walk over to a waiter to get our menus (if we'd waited for someone to come to our table, it would have taken a half an hour.) We had to ask for water three times.

The good news is that food-wise it seems to be Seven Stars in Bellevue, which is a dream come true for me. We had the Chong Gin chicken, which was exactly as good as it is at Seven Stars. We also had a seafood curry that was great. I noticed many of the favorites from Seven Stars on the menu--dan dan noodles, ant on a tree, cumin lamb. The specials board had only one item--Szechwan crab. However, the menu itself is huge, so I think perhaps the specials have been incorporated in the menu itself. We also saw quite a lot of people enjoying hot pot there.

So bottom line, at this point, for Seattleites it's probably not worth crossing the bridge, when Seven Stars has basically the same food and better service.

I was hoping that the opening period could have lasted longer giving them more time to get the new place together.

This is the 3rd Restaurant opened by Hoang Ngo and her husband Chef Cheng Biao Yank in Seattle.

Their first is located on 85th Street west of Greenwood called the "Szechuan Bistro" was sold to the couple who worked there before moving to the International District. Husband was Cook alongside Chef Cheng and wife worked the front of the house. They are still doing a very good job keeping things up to the original standards.

When the "Seven Stars Pepper" was sold about a year ago I noticed that it wasn't quite up to the original quality, even though to most it wasn't a noticeable change since most specialties were still consistent.

I'm sure that when the "Szechuan Chef" settles down it will become equal or better then the originals. To me whats so special about the owners is that they may be the only Restaurateurs who actually owned and operated a well known Restaurant in Szechuan for 20+ years.

If they keep this up it will eventually make us very fortunate to enjoy this cusine in Seattle areas with neighborhood Szechuan places that are good.

When they moved to the "Seven Stars Pepper" location on Jackson it was helped to become popular locally by "Lauren's Birthday Paries" through her photo's and posting on "eGullet" I hope that she visit's the "Szechuan Chef" with her camera to keep us all updated.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I went to S&S a while back - too late in the day for full selection. Wasn't remarkable enough for me to drive back, but if in the neighborhood, sure.

So what's being built out in the old Sit and Spin space on 4th just North of Blanchard? Looks like a full bar and lots of space. Can't tell from online info and no sign in the window when I walked by last night.

I was going to try Herfy's on the Ave last night just for the heck of it, but it seems like all the crack dealers from north of 47th have moved down to where the food is cheaper.

I was going to try Herfy's on the Ave last night just for the heck of it, but it seems like all the crack dealers from north of 47th have moved down to where the food is cheaper.

Hmmmmm....Great! Just what I wanted to hear! :angry::angry::angry:

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com