• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 2)

something new opens in my neighborhood and I don't even notice it. how pitiful is THAT?!

I can relate :wacko: has anyone heard anything about the (kithcen at) new wine bar at the top of QA hill?

"Bricco Della Regina" ???? Have only walked by, looks like your typically wine and goodies shop that will probably be gone in 6 months.

I had a DELICIOUS meal there last Saturday.  I just haven't gotten around to writing about it.  Really really really good food, and I'll write a description soon.

I've been meaning for months to post that I had dinner at Dinette in December, and really, really enjoyed it. I accompanied Matthew while he worked on this review. One highlight was brandade served with delicious crunchy toast. We also had gnocchi in rich short rib sauce. My only disappointment was that they had run out of the dessert I wanted, cranberry pecan tart. Next time I'll order dessert early. It's really a charming restaurant, and we love having good restaurants that we can walk to. Of course, now that Fork's moved in, it's hard to plan walking anywhere else--but I do want to return to Dinette.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

The Thai restaurant on the Southwest end of 45th in Wallingford (near the chldren's library) is closed and will be replaced with a wine bar & bistro.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

The Thai restaurant on the Southwest end of 45th in Wallingford (near the chldren's library) is closed and will be replaced with a wine bar & bistro.

Any additional information? We have been looking for a wine bar with weekly tastings, since the Fremont Wine Bar closed.

I can't picture a thai restaurant there - not Mai, certainly?! Do you know the name?

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I've heard from a close source that May was "on the market" (quite a long time ago) but that seems like a an expensive way to acquire a wine bar location.

I can't picture a thai restaurant there - not Mai, certainly?! Do you know the name?

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

You are correct, it was Treasure Thai. Right now there is butcher paper in the window saying "Wine Bar & Bistro. Open Soon."

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

That's funny. I was sent to review Treasure Thai a couple years ago and found it unreviewable--definitely in the bottom quarter of Thai food I've had in town, and no reason to write a negative review, either. Every time I've gone past it since, I've said, "I can't believe that place is still in business."

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

The Wagon Wheel Coffee Shop on Aurora (47th?) is empty and without signage.

That's too bad. I only went there once but it was a pretty good "standard diner" breakfast.

Oh, looks like something is going on - maybe it's just winter cleaning. Main sign is still up.

Sign is gone.

Liquor license is posted.

Sign is up: "Roma" ...delivery available... thinking it must be pizza.

Third Place Books on 65th and 20th just up from Bistro Magnolia just opened their new pub. The place is cozy and dark and the energy inside is very relaxed. Currently there is no food but will be in the future and you can buy food from the cafe upstairs and take it down. The whole place is built from the wood of a single tree whose picture is silk screened to one of the walls.

" You soo tall, but you so skinny. I like you, you come home with me, I feed you!"- random japanese food worker.

The butcher paper now says "Smash Wine Bar & Bistro." Seems like an odd name.

The butcher paper now says "Smash Wine Bar & Bistro."  Seems like an odd name.

I'd be really, really surprised if the state liquor authorities will let a name like that stand. As I recall, the Stumbling Goat Bistro was originally going to be called the Drunken Boat, and they had to change it because they couldn't get a liquor license.

Edit: PI story about the name

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com