• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 2)

Maybe this was mentioned previously, but the Scarlett Tree on Roosevelt is closed. Sucks, because you couldn't beat their massive Early Bird Breakfast with bottomless coffee for $4.95. I'm sad this place is closed, I have many memories of last-minute cramming for medical school exams over that breakfast.

The Scarlet Tree caught on fire several months ago. I thought they would reopen sometime.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

RIP Batavia on the Ave....

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Stopped in at Bal Mar on Sunday night. It’s a great space, sort of modern industrial with a lot of ironwork and rough wood. It’s on two levels, with both intimate areas as well as big open spaces. With a bar on each level, drink service was quick and efficient. They’ve got a good-sized menu, with mostly small plates. On Sundays they do “Ballard Farmers Market Specials” made with ingredients that the chef has picked up on the way into work, which I thought was a cool idea. I tried a few things, which were perhaps a little summery for the middle of December (like gazpacho), but I thought they were still good. Everything had a bit of a smoky taste, which I didn’t mind; perhaps they’re doing something in the kitchen to do this on purpose. They’ve got a big list of specialty cocktails – the French 75 I had was pretty tasty. All in all, it was good. Prices were good. Service was great. Recommended.

Moxie is definitely open.  I peeked in the windows on my way home from work, and the remodel looks great.  A glance at the menu revealed some delicious sounding items, including the hilariously titled "lamburgers" and a wild mushroom mac and cheese.  They also had a happy hour menu with plenty of options.  I'll be in to check it out soon for sure.

Go now - 8 days open and they were fully booked for dinner. Snagged a couple of seats at the bar and enjoyed a quick pre-theater meal. Like she (Lauri) cooked at Matt's - you will find fresh, almost comfort, food. Entrees tend towards a meat with interesting sides (sweet onion bread pudding, beluga lentils...) a bit of greens, and heavenly sauce - can you say calvados quince for the pork tenderloin? Entrees in the $12-22 range, most in the high teens. Short happy hour, wines by the glass, starters and mains. Didn't see the desserts. Modern, comfortable room. Sparkling staff. You might also recognize partner Peter - he worked at Matt's some years ago, along with other jobs.

Torero's Mexican in Belltown has papered up the windows and put out a closed sign. It's the former location of Fandango.

It's a great space. I hope it's not cursed.

Beat you to it - see November 10 post. I believe it is going lounge style. Part of the current wave in Belltown and beyond. Tough space really. Bad makeover - hope the new guys fix it up.

Twist, I believe it will be called.

Quite the remodel going on inside.

Axis in Belltown closed its doors on 12/17.

One of the last great dot-com restaurant-lounges.

Woodfire grill, signature cosmos, "see-and-be-seen" atmosphere - looks like the '00's are on their way out.

Looks like they're gonna run the new place called Venom in the old Medusa space (bought by the Cowgirls Inc. people, not sure what the connection is.) Just what we need, another B&T hangout in the neighborhood.

Edited by hhlodesign (log)

B&T?

:huh:

Axis in Belltown closed its doors on 12/17.

One of the last great dot-com restaurant-lounges.

Woodfire grill, signature cosmos, "see-and-be-seen" atmosphere - looks like the '00's are on their way out.

Looks like they're gonna run the new place called Venom in the old Medusa space (bought by the Cowgirls Inc. people, not sure what the connection is.) Just what we need, another B&T hangout in the neighborhood.

I drove past the old torrefazione cafe in Fremont this afternoon. It was dark, rainy & I had to keep an eye on traffic, but I could tell that they'd taken down the brown paper that was lining the windows - any word on what's going in there next?

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

The Wagon Wheel Coffee Shop on Aurora (47th?) is empty and without signage.

Damn...that place was kind of charming. Not the greatest food, but, well...shoot...

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

RIP Pepe's on the Ave....15 years...Tough to keep a place going that long here.

Rather ominously, The Light Gourmet has not been open the past few days either... :sad:

~Jason

I hear Axis was bought by a Hooters! I was just thinking to myself, "what does Belltown need now? Hey, More drunk Frat boys!". Can't wait to get some wings!

I tried Moxie, very happy. This is what happens when you have two Chefs running a joint.

It was for sale on craig's list (business only) a month or two ago for soemthing like $25k

Richard W. Mockler

Seattle

I will, in fact, eat anything once.

That's too bad. I only went there once but it was a pretty good "standard diner" breakfast.

I noticed that Espresso Roma has a new facade and new name: Cafe on the Ave.

Edited by elswinger (log)

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I headed to Muy Macho in South Park yesterday for lunch and my heart stopped briefly when I saw the windows papered over. Fortunately they're just closed for a couple weeks to renovate the place. Should be interesting to see what they come up with....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I hear Axis was bought by a Hooters! I was just thinking to myself, "what does Belltown need now? Hey, More drunk Frat boys!". Can't wait to get some wings!

I tried Moxie, very happy. This is what happens when you have two Chefs running a joint.

Ohhh happy about Moxie being in my 'hood. Might have to stop by there tonight... :smile:

...A Hooters? In Belltown?!

Born Free, Now Expensive

Herfy's Burger and...(ARRRRGH!) TERIYAKI going into the old Pep's space. Great, just what the Ave. needs, another Teriyaki place.... :angry::angry::angry: .