• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 2)

Does anyone know what happened to Bangkok on 15th, on Capital Hill??  The best thai on the hill - I miss it so.  I would love to hear that the owners are planning to open somewhere else...

Man, talk about someplace that had been there forever. It was there when I lived on the hill in the late 80's. I remember liking the orange beef there...

Born Free, Now Expensive

I went to the newly reopened Jitterbug yesterday for lunch and had a great hamburger. The Paddy was hand formed and cooked medium rare to order. The bun was excellent too.

I may go back today to try their honey-spice waffle.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

There's <a href="http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/restaurants/2002583433_taste26.html" target="_blank">finally some news on Veil in the Seattle Times</a>... it looks like they'll be opening on the 11th. They really did go for that all-white, modern theme... it reminds me a lot of Bada Lounge when it first opened.

I hear there is going to be a "Purple Cafe & Wine Bar" on 4th near the new "Spitfire". Anyone know same as Kirkland?

I would assume so. same name and all. I had a favorable experience at the Kirkland one for lunch one day. Not bad at all.

Born Free, Now Expensive

There's <a href="http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/restaurants/2002583433_taste26.html" target="_blank">finally some news on Veil in the Seattle Times</a>... it looks like they'll be opening on the 11th.  They really did go for that all-white, modern theme... it reminds me a lot of Bada Lounge when it first opened.

Drove by last night - they were serving - did not stop to find out if by invitation only. Anyone checking it out this weekend, please report back! Oh, people looked dressed up last night...

I hear there is going to be a "Purple Cafe & Wine Bar" on 4th near the new "Spitfire". Anyone know same as Kirkland?

I'm sure it is buried back in this thread - but where is this and what is Spitfire?

"Purple Cafe"Downtown on 4th Ave, I have yet to drive by just heard through the Grapevine.

"Spitfire" is a new bar/restaurant going in on 4th Ave as well, I believe the location use to be the old "Sit n'Spin".

I'm sure it is buried back in this thread - but where is this and what is Spitfire?

"Purple Cafe"Downtown on 4th Ave, I have yet to drive by just heard through the Grapevine.

"Spitfire" is a new bar/restaurant going in on 4th Ave as well, I believe the location use to be the old "Sit n'Spin".

Thanks - Belltown...

I went into Veil late last night to check out the lounge, and try to gauge how night number one went. The space is decorated almost all in white, with pink accents here and there, in lettering and pink roses. Somehow though, despite the modernism, they’ve managed to make it warm and comfortable, with padded leather seating and soft, gauzy drapes. The location is very “neighborhoody,” yet once I was inside I really felt as if I’d been transported somewhere else – maybe San Francisco.

I had two of their signature cocktails, The Veil (Stoli orange, crème de peche, cloudy sake and muddled black current) and the Devil’s Bouquet (Hendrick’s gin, peach brandy, chamomile and peppermint tea). Both were large and served up, at $9 each. Really tasty, but I think the peach flavor in the Bouquet was too overpowering. They also have $8 champagne cocktails, a few beers and an extensive wine list. I looked over the food menu, which had some interesting items (peanut butter and jelly? – I wasn’t sure what to make of that), which all sounded pretty tasty. There’s around eight small plates, eight entrées and eight desserts. Entrees ranged from $23-29. No vegetarian entrees, which surprised me... this is SEATTLE, after all.

Talking to some servers and kitchen people, it sounds like they had a great first night, with everything running really smoothly. It was packed, and hopefully they’ll do well. With prices like these however, this is just going to be a special occasion place for me. I’d definitely recommend checking it out, they’ve created something pretty special.

Tutta Bella on Stone Way scheduled to open on Dec 5th.

Also, owners of Chupacabra on Greenwood (across from Red Mill) reportedly looking for locations for a 2nd restaurant/bar.

I will mark it on my calendar!!

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Tried out Bistro Magnolia last night and all of my hopes and dreams for a good neighborhood bistro may be answered. First impressions are very positive for me and I could see myself falling in love with this place. Located on NE 65th in Ravenna right near McCarthy Schiering they are open until 10 on Tue and Wed and until 11 on Th-Sun, with a weekend brunch served from 9-3. There are two menus, one is a tapas menu served in the bar until midnight, heavy on the Spanish tapas and it looks pretty good. The other menu is the bistro menu which has everything my heart could desire, moules mariniere, steak frites, steak tartare, roast chciken, onion soup, pate, charcuterie, on and on. I was so happy to see these things I had a hard time ordering, I wanted it all.

We settled on Moules Mariniere and Frites, Onion Soup, and the special of the night lamb stew, followed by Tarte Tatin. We were also treated to a couple of glasses of champagne which was a really nice touch by our wonderful waitress, who was really nice and tried very hard even though she admitted that she was still learning the menu and was quite willing to go ask the chef anything. The Moules were exellent and the frites were well executed, and the lamb stew was sublime. Speaking with the chef later he said that he would love to have a group of foodies in at some point so he could make dishes that normally wouldn't sell. There are rotating specials for each day of the week, the highlights of which for me are Cassoulet on Sunday, and Thursday alternating gibier or short ribs. I will be back and hopefully everything will remain wonderful.

Rocky

Purple Cafe and Wine Bar...liquor license application noticed on 4th and University at the former site of the University Bookstore.

According to their website, the Purple Cafe and Wine Bar currently has restaurants in Kirkland and Woodinville <http://www.thepurplecafe.com> and bills itself thusly:

A multifaceted food and wine concept specializing in an eclectic northwest inspired menu coupled with an extensive global wine selection – including 75 wines by the glass, wine flights and hundreds more by the bottle. With café locations in Kirkland and Woodinville, the atmosphere is often described as an urban retreat with rustic elements; including wrought iron furniture, used brick walls, concrete tabletops & a curved wine bar.

Menu is large and includes starters, salads, sandwiches, artisan cheeses, specialty pizzas, entrees, and desserts.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

Tried out Bistro Magnolia last night and all of my hopes and dreams for a good neighborhood bistro may be answered.

Went last night before class. Had the bistro salad with asparagus, goat cheese and a drizzle of truffle oil (excellent salad) and the steak frites, which came with 'moroccan' butter on top, slightly spicey-almost harissa like. The frites are just this side of crisp, I really like them but the caveat here is that 1) I'm a frites junkie and 2) some people might like theirs a bit more crispy.

I had a helluva time deciding what I was going to have also. I'm going next wednesday before class again ;-) because I need to try the duck! Lots of yummy sounding stuff on the menu here!

Born Free, Now Expensive

I've eaten 3 meals at Veil now. It is really quite an exciting new venture for the Seattle market. Shannon Galusha is in top form. Very interesting menu with some playful options.

"Lobster and Caviar" is a lobster mushroom bisque with a seared diver scallop and Beluga lentils. I loved the play on words and it was quite tasty as well.

There is a starter item of Kobe beef cheeks which is one of the best dishes I've had all year! It is served with a confit of tomatoes and a white sauce I believe to be creme fresh based.

The next best dish I've had all year is the peanut butter and jelly foie gras. It is served as a mini foie gras burger on a peanut butter base and "dots" of jelly sprinkled around the plate. One the the most creative ways to serve FG that I've seen.

He is also serving a seared tuna entre with some handmade pasta and a pesto reduction that is simply wonderful.

Desserts are very fun and interesting. The peanut butter ice cream is a must try. As is the grilled pineapple with coconut sorbet.

One of my favorite things about Veil is the wine list. It appears to be over 100 nicely selected bottles and I'd guess over half are under $40.

There are a few service issues that need to be worked out. As expected with any new restaruant.

The room is simple and nicely designed. Lots of white with pink and amber accents. I particularly enjoyed the communal dining table. It makes for a nice place to grab a meal alone without feeling like a barfly, or meet new people.

Hopefully, Seattle is sophisticated enough to understand what they are trying to do with this place.

Edited by hhlodesign (log)

Hopefully, Seattle is sophisticated enough to understand what they are trying to do with this place.

hmmm, that is a strange statement (or am I just tired and easily annoyed today?). What do you mean 'what they are trying to do?' What would you say they are trying to do??

I think other restaurants that aren't traditional are doing quite well in Seattle - Lark, Union, Elemental, Harvest Vine, etc. all come to mind.

Here's an example of what I mean:

The "Lobster and Caviar" I refered to above has since been taken off the menu. It seems that too many people are ordering it and sending it back to the kitchen when it arrives with no lobster or caviar in it. I should note that the menu description says exactly what is in the dish. While this kind of wordplay is fun and inventive at a place like the French Laundry, it didn't quite go over very well here in Seattle.

ok, I totally see what you are talking about. However don't you think that by adding quotes or mearly having the servers reinforce the actual ingrediants it would halt the misunderstanding?

I personally think that it is a clear rip off from the French Laundry but that is just me......

Other restaurants do the fun play on words but I always notice that they really make a point of describing it. Unless you are talking about someplace like Alinea in which case anything goes!

Man, I really wanted to try the Lobster and Caviar!

Veil really is in sharp contrast with a lot of Seattle restaurants. I haven't eaten at all of the restaurants listed by little ms foodie (such as Elemental -- I'm too scared!), but I think the main reason Veil stands out is that it's not a "comfort food" restaurant. The other places you list are definitely all "foodie" restaurants, in that they're making items that don't show up on every single menu around town, and they all do a pretty fabulous job of it. Eating at each of those places (with Union being a possible exception), one feels comfortable and warm, almost cosy and ready to get filled up with good food. Of course the servers are nice and gracious, but Veil's style isn't like that at all.

I'd love to hear more reviews... has anyone else been in?