• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 2)

The space at the corner of NW Market and Old Ballard Ave in Ballard seems to have a name - Bal Mar. Sign in the window says they'll be opening in mid-November...

Is this the place diectly across the corner from Matador? I thought name was to be Hazlewood, but anyhow very strong political beliefs from the owner Dwayne. There will be no DIRECTV, no BUDWEISER and no BACARDI......NO EXCEPTIONS.

Is this the place diectly across the corner from Matador? I thought name was to be Hazlewood, but anyhow very strong political beliefs from the owner Dwayne. There will be no DIRECTV, no BUDWEISER and no BACARDI......NO EXCEPTIONS.

Hazlewood is just down Market. BalMar is right across from Matador. It has been interesting to see which will open first.

The space at the corner of NW Market and Old Ballard Ave in Ballard seems to have a name - Bal Mar. Sign in the window says they'll be opening in mid-November...

Why no Bacardi?

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

A new french bistrot opened on 65th and Ravenna, a block away from Leah's. There is tapas in the bar, and the menu in the main dining area is traditional french cuisine (moules marniere, french onion soup, etc.) Prices are moderate.

" You soo tall, but you so skinny. I like you, you come home with me, I feed you!"- random japanese food worker.

The Wallingford Tutta Bella is closer to being open. The sign is up. Work is being done at a more vigourous pace. And there is a sign up looking for employees and advertising a job fair on October 22nd.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Why no Bacardi?

I think the production of BACARDI, leads to deforestation.

LOL. We are looking for a soft mid december open date with a possibility of January if we hit snags. The location is directly across from Harvard Exit theater in the Bacchus space. It will be a very interesting different place. Kind of a laboratory of things we feel like cooking with no real genre. Elegant and romantic will all the bells and whistles but will also have a very shabby, hidden gem feel and of course will be laced with my dark humor. Kind of a parody of places like Cascadia etc. The only rule is that you wear pants and also no ten gallon hats. Some things may be chic and some may be comfort. A place for every man or woman. Various price points and also a fast cheap meal section. Later on we will ad wine flights, tasting menus, late night, lunch and a series of calendar dinners with guest chefs similar to the gypsy dinners. A dinner where a chef will come in and take over the place and serve whatver he feels like no matter if it sticks with his style or is an homage to Escoffier or even his Aunt Myrtle. I have longed to do much finer and more technical dining and this will be my chance. At BOB I was pigeonholed into sticking with that formula. This place will just be one of breaking rules. We will also have a nice wines list with great cheap treasures and expensive grape, with hard booze and all arisan and microbrews. Fellow egulleter Jared Stoneberg will be my co-chef and we will try and create something special together.

The only rule is that you wear pants

That'll upset at least two egulleteers that I can think of. Oh wait, one liked to wear meat eatin' pants, the other (not a poster, actually) prefers no pants. Will you being doing a pants check on the kilt wearers?

Boat Street Cafe is now open, went there for dinner on Friday evening and it was really wonderful. We started with the pate, the cheese plate, and pickled vegetables plate with a Marsanne/Viognier. For our mains we had roasted salmon, kale flan, and roast chicken. They were all well executed and the flavors melded well, this was accompanied by a Beuajolais Village, that complemented the meal well. For dessert we had the fabulous bread pudding that is to die for. The space is really nice, I can see it getting fairly loud though on a busy night. It you're a fan of the old Boat Street, it's back, for anyone who's never been, definitley give it a whirl.

Rocky

Edited by rockdoggydog (log)

Does anyone know the status of the new Farestart Cafe that's going to be on Westlake? Are they still planning on moving there?

The sign in the window says it'll be opening in early 2006, but it doesn't look like they've done any work on the space at all. I found an oldish article in the Seattle Times that mentions it, but nothing more recent.

I believe Farestart is still planning the move - they bought the building. I'm sure it will all take longer than planned.

By the way, do check in on the Boomtown Cafe site too, they restarted fundraising dinners - two weeks ago was Chris Keff. They can use your help getting the place back up and running to serve their real customers.

Wild Burrito opened at 4th and Wall - young crew, food smelled good when I walked by last night.

The For Lease sign is gone from the deadly spot at 6th and Wall. Any bets?

The new Italian restaurant on Vashon (Stray Dog space) opens for trial dinners this Thursday and Saturday, by invitation.