• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 2)

What is a Kobe Slider? Is it like White Castle Sliders but more expensive?

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

The Bourbon & Barbecue Grill will be opening soon across from Hales. Talked with the owner David. Very good chap. Here is a quote from him and a link to his temporary website:

We're going to have Southern flair cookin' with 13hr slow-cooked pulled pork, sausage "imported" from Alabama, gumbo, ribs, etc

The location is in Fremont, almost Ballard actually. Right across from Hale's Ale and between The Dish and Ballard Bar & Grill on Leary Way.

My Webpage

sorry it says my webpage. I actually have no stake in the place (lol)

Edited by chefturnedbum (log)

A new burger joint opened on Queen Anne this weekend.  Of course, my mind is a blank this morning and I can't remember the name  :rolleyes: , either Flame or Blaze.   Looks fine, no dynamic decorating or anything.  I saw some families in there this weekend, maybe I'll check it out mid-week.  The menu is burgers (beef and garden), BBQ (pulled pork, etc) and salads.

cburnsi

Where on QA is it?

It's in the old Dolce Vita spot. I noticed a sign in the window as I walked by directing employment inquiries to the Queen Anne Cafe nextdoor, so I wonder if it's a burger offshoot of the cafe?? It's called Flame.

Luscious smell like love

Essential black milk worship

It whispers to me...

...Chocolate

It's in the old Dolce Vita spot.  I noticed a sign in the window as I walked by directing employment inquiries to the Queen Anne Cafe nextdoor, so I wonder if it's a burger offshoot of the cafe??  It's called Flame.

Wow, I didn't even notice it and it's in me own neighborhood

:blush:

Born Free, Now Expensive

The facade of Veil looks nearly complete, and they're definitely getting serious about the interior...  the drywall is finally up!  Peeking in the windows, there's still quite a lot of work left to be done for them to be opening in less than a month and a half!
My only worry about this place is (I'm judging this solely on window design, and the fact that they relocated the door) I'm afraid they've gone techno-industrial with the design. Highly inappropriate in an old 30's brick building. :sad:

YOMV

Born Free, Now Expensive

The Torrefazione Italia on Olive Way is slated to re-open on October 1st as a new Italian coffee shop. The gentleman who started the TI cafes 19 years ago has signed a lease on the space (not sure if it's just this location, or others as well). The new name (in Italian, I didn't quite catch it) transaltes to "one way" or "the only way."

HOORAY!

The Torrefazione Italia on Olive Way is slated to re-open on October 1st as a new Italian coffee shop.  The gentleman who started the TI cafes 19 years ago has signed a lease on the space (not sure if it's just this location, or others as well).  The new name (in Italian, I didn't quite catch it) transaltes to "one way" or "the only way."

HOORAY!

The Torrefazione Italia in my building (The Financial Center, 4th & University) closes tomorrow and Caffe Migliore is slated to take its place. Hope their coffee is good!

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

One Way translates into Italian as "solo una direzione" "senso unico", and "unidirezionale". The Only Way (which would be a better name for a "snooty" coffee place) translates to "Via Solo" or "Via Solomente."

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

One Way translates into Italian as "solo una direzione" "senso unico", and "unidirezionale".  The Only Way (which would be a better name for a "snooty" coffee place) translates to "Via Solo" or "Via Solomente."

for "the only way" I think "l'unico modo" would be more probable.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Here's some more info: Torrefazione's ex-owners open new cafe in Pioneer Square

As of the printing of that article, it looks like the plan was for just one store, but Bizzarri was there at the Olive Way cafe this morning making plans and chatting with the regulars.

As far as the name... I wish I could remember. He said he'd probably have a sign up in the window on Friday announcing it, so I'll let you guys know then.

Here's some more info: Torrefazione's ex-owners open new cafe in Pioneer Square

As of the printing of that article, it looks like the plan was for just one store, but Bizzarri was there at the Olive Way cafe this morning making plans and chatting with the regulars.

As far as the name...  I wish I could remember.  He said he'd probably have a sign up in the window on Friday announcing it, so I'll let you guys know then.

Any mention by Bizzari of "Cafe Umbria" soon to open down on Airport Way S. ????

A new burger joint opened on Queen Anne this weekend.  Of course, my mind is a blank this morning and I can't remember the name  :rolleyes: , either Flame or Blaze.   Looks fine, no dynamic decorating or anything.  I saw some families in there this weekend, maybe I'll check it out mid-week.  The menu is burgers (beef and garden), BBQ (pulled pork, etc) and salads.

cburnsi

Where on QA is it?

It's in the old Dolce Vita spot. I noticed a sign in the window as I walked by directing employment inquiries to the Queen Anne Cafe nextdoor, so I wonder if it's a burger offshoot of the cafe?? It's called Flame.

I went by there last night. Same owners as Queen Anne Cafe and Elliott Bay Pizza down the block. The place was full of families with small children, this is probably the most 'casual dinner' kid friendly place on the hill.

The food? Well my burger was okay. The fries decent but not great. My friends had the pulled pork and smoked beef sandwiches and reported that they were very good (I'll have to go back and check for myself :wink: )

One Way translates into Italian as "solo una direzione" "senso unico", and "unidirezionale".  The Only Way (which would be a better name for a "snooty" coffee place) translates to "Via Solo" or "Via Solomente."

Coming soon... Caffe Senso Unico.

I noticed the pizza ovens have been installed at the Stone Way Tutta Bella. Now they need walls, floor, bathrooms, etc.

Dinette is now open on Olive in the former Local Cafe former Green Cat location. Ricotta gnocchi and some double cut pork chops were some of the items on the menu in the window but my memory fails me for the rest except for the general impression of "looks good"

I understand she is also going to do a "Sunday supper" thing (though maybe it is on Tuesday?) where you come in and eat family style from whatever it is she feels like cooking. Actually, not sure about the family style part of that. Anyway, I suggested this to someone else not so long ago and they said customers wouldn't buy it - too picky, always asking for menu items prepared slightly differently. I thought it was a great idea - and the timing was right for something like this in a non-traditional setting (ie, don't expect your grandmother's fried chicken or pot roast.) If anyone tries this out, please post!

I understand she is also going to do a "Sunday supper" thing (though maybe it is on Tuesday?) where you come in and eat family style from whatever it is she feels like cooking. Actually, not sure about the family style part of that. Anyway, I suggested this to someone else not so long ago and they said customers wouldn't buy it - too picky, always asking for menu items prepared slightly differently. I thought it was a great idea - and the timing was right for something like this in a non-traditional setting (ie, don't expect your grandmother's fried chicken or pot roast.) If anyone tries this out, please post!

sounds somewhat equivalent to what Ripe is doing in Portland. good for 'em.

Great new place in Shoreline/Seattle

Fu Man Dumpling House does all homeade dumplings, noodles, soups, etc that are really great. I went this last weekend and had a great meal of steamed dumplings, hot and sour soup (the real stuff), chow mein, fried rice, and a "hamburger".

Seriously, check it out.

They are on the east side of Greenwood just south of 145th.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Thanks for the dumpling house recommendation. We went last night and had boiled dumplings, "little bit of everything" soup and hot and sour soup. I liked everthing we tried though the roast chicken and hot and sour dumpling soup at the next table looked liked better picks-I'll try those next time. Dinner for two was $15.