• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 2)

That's sad because I moved to Wallingford so I could be closer to restaurants. I suspect the problem is parking. I think the city (or a neighborhood association) should buy places like the old Blockbuster, and build multi-story parking garages that are validated for people who shop in the neighborhood (I'd also like to do this to get parking of 45th because it shouldn't take an hour to go from the freeway to Aurora).

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

:hmmm:

Does anyone know what is happening with the old Dolce Vita spot on Queen Anne Ave? I noticed the For Lease sign come down, but no info was posted (so I'm guessing no liquor). Today I noticed that there are tables set up with Mustard and Ketchup everywhere. An expansion of the QA Cafe maybe?

cburnsi

Ooo, haven't noticed that yet. I'll keep my eye on it.

The little place next to Le Cadeaux Gourmet has opened. It's ice cream and espresso. *sigh*

do we really need 3 places offering this in 3 blocks?!

Born Free, Now Expensive

I learned yesterday that Wholesome Vegetasia, a nice little Chinese Vegetarian restaurant on King St., plans to close its doors on Wednesday.

I think Nancy became a little exhausted with the demands of operating a restaurant and her side businesses.

She plans to start conducting cooking classes on Chinese Buddhist Vegetarian cuisine.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

I think Wonderbar in Wallingford is still open. Drove by about six last night and the front windows were open and there was a sandwich board out front.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

The little place next to Le Cadeaux Gourmet has opened. It's ice cream and espresso. *sigh*

I thought I noticed some movement there. I almost dropped by for an ice cream last night, but got distracted by Postmark Gelato in Fremont. We sure don't need another cafe of this sort, I can't imagine how they will last.

Wallingford is a tough place to operate retail/restaurant projects, I think.

Is it really tougher than anywhere else? As I was taking the bus up 45th the other day I was noticing how many places have been there for quite a long time.

How is Postmark Gelato? Is that the place by Lenin?

Edited by kiliki (log)

Yes it is. They're very good and have a nice mix of traditional and unusual flavors, plus you get to enjoy your gelato in Lenin's shadow :biggrin:

FYI I'm told that the Fremont Torrefazzione will close it's doors on sept 20th. I assume the others will close at the same time.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

FYI  I'm told that the Fremont Torrefazzione will close it's doors on sept 20th.  I assume the others will close at the same time.

I've heard September 22 for the Olive Way store... it seems like they're spreading them out. I guess the demolition team can only do one store per day. Sigh...

Yes it is. They're very good and have a nice mix of traditional and unusual flavors, plus you get to enjoy your gelato in Lenin's shadow :biggrin:

FYI I'm told that the Fremont Torrefazzione will close it's doors on sept 20th. I assume the others will close at the same time.

I had rice gelato and also a scope of rose. The rice was great, kind of like frozen rice pudding without the texture. The rose was good, but a little too sweet. I think that the gelato is made by the Dolce Vita crowd.

So true. They better have a superior product or they will be gone within a year unless of course they are working on a rich grandmothers trust fund. Am I correct in saying that one just went out over there?

don't think so, but I'll look today to be sure. There's Pat's on the Ave, which I would think will survive the others, because Pat has been making espresso on the Ave for a lot of years and has a loyal following. The weirdly cartoon like place just literally a few doors south of there is still functioning, although I don't know how.

Born Free, Now Expensive

So true. They better have a superior product or they will be gone within a year unless of course they are working on a rich grandmothers trust fund. Am I correct in saying that one just went out over there?

don't think so, but I'll look today to be sure. There's Pat's on the Ave, which I would think will survive the others, because Pat has been making espresso on the Ave for a lot of years and has a loyal following. The weirdly cartoon like place just literally a few doors south of there is still functioning, although I don't know how.

Oh no, now I have to drive by there and see exactly what a 'weirdly cartoon like place' looks like. :biggrin: I can't think to which place you may be referring.

Agreed! I did stop in for a double espresso the other day and it was one of the best pulled shots I've had in quite some time. Kind of a wierd atmosphere and feeling inside.

Oh no, now I have to drive by there and see exactly what a 'weirdly cartoon like place' looks like.  :biggrin:  I can't think to which place you may be referring.

It's really just because of their sign, and the fact that it's day-glo bright inside because of a ceiling full of flourescent lighting. Ick, sorta the same colors as a Baskin Robbins. One door south of the Home Street Bank, in fact, I think it's the same building.

Born Free, Now Expensive

I learned yesterday that Wholesome Vegetasia, a nice little Chinese Vegetarian restaurant on King St., plans to close its doors on Wednesday.

I think Nancy became a little exhausted with the demands of operating a restaurant and her side businesses.

She plans to start conducting cooking classes on Chinese Buddhist Vegetarian cuisine.

It looks like I have convinced her to do a few class at PCC when she comes back from China.

Stars restaurant in Langley on Whidbey Island appears to be shuttered. The sign on the door at the bottom of the narrow stairway leading up to the dining room said something like, 'restaurant is closed', which I took to mean closed in a permanent way. No more menu outside or posted hours. I had some great experiences there, although they had more to do with the drinks and the view than with the food or service. Still, it wasn't bad and I was sorry to see it go.

With the recent discussion on this thread about how difficult it must be to operate a business in Wallingford, I wonder what the situation is like up in Langley or Coupville (or a dozen other small towns around here). I found it hard to get a good bite to eat when I wandered around town yesterday, which should have been one of their busier times of year. The Inn at Langley is definitely a destination place. I have recently heard some bad things about the Captain Whidbey Inn, I think on this board, which is disappointing after they had such a promising rebirth a few years ago. I'm not going to link to their website, which seems to support the recent claim (menu page - yikes).

Hopefully the next mention of Whidbey Island will be about new restaurants opening!

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Cafe Moose in Ballard will be expanding their hours in October to dinner but will be closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. Oh and two more bars are opening in Ballard (one a cocktail longue across from Matador)

Edited by vinelady (log)

Opening late this year - Moxie - in Nonna Maria's space on Queen Anne. Look for the dimpled cook from Matt's in the Market, doing her own thing.

I had read this was going to be a sports bar called "The Trophy Room". Last liquor app I saw posted stated this info as well???

Cafe Moose in Ballard will be expanding their hours in October to dinner but will be closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.  Oh and two more bars are opening in Ballard (one a cocktail longue across from Matador)

I've heard "Hazlewood" is going to be more of a cocktail, billiards spot. Due open the beginning of November.