• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Complete Sous Vide Setup for $700

Docrjm

Chamber vac + SV thing = $700    vs.   Ziploc + Anova = $188

If a chamber vac is  one's desire, it might be a good deal.  And coming from that store implies to me that it would be up to code for restaurants. Hmmm.

It is an oil-less pump. The circulator is separately listed at $299. With a 1500 watt power usage if needed. The sealer is separately listed at $699. So the combo price is very good, basically buy the vac sealer and get a free circulator.

I'm more interested about the 1500 watt heater. I just sent Vacmaster an email asking them circulation rate and lowest temperature setting.

I have an Anova. Love it! I mostly make home made cheese with it. The 1000w heater on the Anova is great, but not powerful enough to make "Thermophilic" cheeses like italian and swiss cheeses. To make those, I have to "cheat" and add hot water to the bath. A 1500w circulator would be a charm!