• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

gfweb

Kitchen photos

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

The other side of the island has two regular sized drawers (I use one for silverware and the other for side towels), a microwave drawer (truthfully I did not even know these existed until we redid the kitchen but our designer insisted on it and I am happy because it frees up a lot of counter space). 

I've been seeing those a lot on reno shows, and was curious how they'd work out in practice.

I personally don't think I'd want my microwave in a place where I have to bend down to retrieve things from it (I'm having a back pain morning, one of the consequences of moving, so that looms a bit larger than usual at the moment). Also in our case that would put it at grandkid level, and I can foresee many potential issues arising from that.

Mind you we're in rentals for at least another few years, so it's all moot at this point.

"The only questions that really matter are the ones you ask yourself."

Ursula K. Le Guin

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 5/21/2019 at 9:49 PM, EatingBen said:

Without doubt the best kitchen I've laid eyes on in this thread. So many others look wonderful and I've no doubt they bring lots of joy but this one is perfect. 

It looks like a kitchen that is a pleasure to work in, everything to hand, everything easily in reach and easily returned to it's home. 

I love a comfortable kitchen, it inspires me to cook more!  I wish I could do more with my current kitchen but I'm held back by not owning it myself otherwise mine would look similar to yours 

On 5/22/2019 at 12:16 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

He redid it.

Yes, but it is still pretty workable...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

mweinstein@eGstaff.org

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@liamsaunt, did you plan for a designated spot for spices? That's the one that annoys a lot of us forced to live with older kitchens. Or is the pantry-type area next to the fridge used for that? 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, weinoo said:

I really liked both your Before and After kitchens, but the After did have some nice storage incorporated and a cleaner look!  🙂

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, weinoo said:

Have you posted photos by any chance?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EatingBen said:

Have you posted photos by any chance?

Lots of info here

• Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 10:10 AM, chromedome said:

I've been seeing those a lot on reno shows, and was curious how they'd work out in practice.

I personally don't think I'd want my microwave in a place where I have to bend down to retrieve things from it (I'm having a back pain morning, one of the consequences of moving, so that looms a bit larger than usual at the moment). Also in our case that would put it at grandkid level, and I can foresee many potential issues arising from that.

Mind you we're in rentals for at least another few years, so it's all moot at this point.

I don't know if it is the height of where the microwave was placed in the island, or my height (I am short), but I don't need to bend down to put things in or take things out of the microwave drawer.  It would be kid height though, so I can see that being a concern.  

10 hours ago, FauxPas said:

@liamsaunt, did you plan for a designated spot for spices? That's the one that annoys a lot of us forced to live with older kitchens. Or is the pantry-type area next to the fridge used for that? 

Yes!  The pantry next to the fridge is a spice cabinet.  The lower section has a series of pull out drawers that hold my large spice collection alphabetically.  I made labels for the tops of the jars so it's easy to find what I need.  The top portion of the pantry holds overflow spices (I buy bags from Penzey's and then decant into jars).  The uppermost shelf in that cabinet holds infrequently used items because I can't reach it 🙂   I have a pole gripper to bring stuff down from that shelf if there isn't someone taller around to reach things down for me. 

I did not capture it in the pictures, but there is a second pantry cabinet on the left wall of the kitchen.  It's about three times the width of the spice cabinet and I use it for food storage.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2019 at 7:10 AM, chromedome said:

Also in our case that would put it at grandkid level, and I can foresee many potential issues arising from that.

A number of my friends have done a drawer microwave specifically because it was at kid level and easy for them to use vs reaching up high or climbing on top of the stove.  

There's usually a function to lock the control panel if there are very little ones in the mix. 

• Like 2