• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen photos

gfweb

Gorgeous! Good choices all around. I / we / especially applaud the 12" overhang to accommodate a couple of stools. I didn't think we had the room (and still think I was right) but I do wish we had more of an overhang on our kitchen island so that visitors could sit on the stools and face the cook. 

Your place will be light, airy and spacious. How lovely for you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Such a beautiful space in which to spend your time. Congratulations. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

Gorgeous! Good choices all around. I / we / especially applaud the 12" overhang to accommodate a couple of stools. I didn't think we had the room (and still think I was right) but I do wish we had more of an overhang on our kitchen island so that visitors could sit on the stools and face the cook. 

Your place will be light, airy and spacious. How lovely for you!

I am also a fan of the overhang. Last house we did it about 2-1/2 ft. - about most and still be structually sound. 3 stools comfortably. With all the kids in my house it was the preferred hang out spot v. small kitchen table. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Wow, great job on the kitchen.  I'm guessing from your comments that those bottom kitchen cupboards are no longer a PITA to get into?  

It's all drawers or pull-outs on the bottom now, except under the kitchen sink. And the corner 'lazy susans' have a wider opening than the old ones and are therefore more accessible. The new kitchen definitely functions better than the old one. 

Oh, there is one cabinet under the countertop overhang on the peninsula which is a bit of a pain to get in and out of, but it's better than having dead space.  It's going to be used to store rarely used items, I suspect. And/or back-up supplies of things like paper towels, baggies and wraps. Stuff I don't need to access all the time, anyway. You can see the cabinet door under the right side of the peninsula, though it's not too noticeable. 

96839866_PXL_20220510_012210951(1).thumb.jpg.8e32c5df699e556d2a8c0b6e9fecd9d3.jpg

PXL_20220510_195459031.thumb.jpg.1d3474e560d323b0c8b5055a15991fc8.jpg

Some pull-outs:

PXL_20220510_195535546.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.b72470162d960017eafd864a80751878.jpg

Recycling centre and/or garbage. I usually keep garbage under the sink, so use this for recycling and returnables (as we have more R&R than garbage). I could always swap this out for more drawers at some point, if so inclined. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Shelby said:

Beautiful!!!  Look at those empty cabinets.  Sigh.  That hasn't happened around here ever lol.

Pretty sure they won't stay empty for long! There are still a few things in the garage that need to be brought in. And some extra stocking-up to be done, now that we have a kitchen to store it in again, ha.  🙂

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Shelby said:

Beautiful!!!  Look at those empty cabinets.  Sigh.  That hasn't happened around here ever lol.

And the empty countertops!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Nature may abhor a vacuum; Kerry Beal abhors a naked surface. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Hahahaha. That is one thing I am always obsessing over - trying to keep the countertops clear so that when I do want to make a proper old mess, I have the space to do it and don't have to waste any time moving stuff around!  I like having a fairly big prep area and since this kitchen is not that big to begin with, I like to try and keep it fairly clear.  🙂

For any one else doing kitchen or home renos now (or in the past couple of years), have you had issues with supply chains and seen prices on some things rise exponentially? We were thinking of getting all new baseboards throughout the house until we saw the crazy price increases. It's less to pay a finishing carpenter to fill in the gaps around the house (due to removal of electric baseboard heaters, etc) with the baseboards from our small bedroom and then use a similar baseboard in that bedroom. We weren't able to match the baseboards exactly, so had to think creatively. And same with the trim around the pantries and the window - it's almost the same, but not exact. Though close enough in both cases that I doubt anyone will notice as long as they aren't immediately side by side. And once our painter is done, they should look great. 

I shopped around a bit for fridges that I liked and most have a delivery date of 3 to 6 months. Wowza. 

I can't remember if I said that we sold our old cabinets (which weren't really all that old, 15 years) and now I kinda wish we had kept some for our garage. But our friends are making good use of them. See their kitchen renovations just getting underway (photo below). The original cabinetry on the left and one of the pantry units they bought from us is between the two door openings (they moved the door to their garage, as it really limited their kitchen layout). Their house is 25 or 30 years older than ours, with very limited updates, so they have some work ahead of them. (I'm just really happy that our old cabinets didn't have to go to the dump! We knew someone could make use of them and they think they can use almost all of them.)

May be an image of indoor

• Like 5

6 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Oh, there is one cabinet under the countertop overhang on the peninsula which is a bit of a pain to get in and out of, but it's better than having dead space.  It's going to be used to store rarely used items, I suspect. And/or back-up supplies of things like paper towels, baggies and wraps. Stuff I don't need to access all the time, anyway. You can see the cabinet door under the right side of the peninsula, though it's not too noticeable. 

96839866_PXL_20220510_012210951(1).thumb.jpg.8e32c5df699e556d2a8c0b6e9fecd9d3.jpg

My parents had a cabinet like that for the same reason in their peninsula. It's been some years now, but as I recall it held things that would be needed only in the dining room, which that cabinet faced. Maybe holiday linens? At any rate, it was an excellent solution to the blind-corner / wasted space dilemma.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

11 hours ago, FauxPas said:

For any one else doing kitchen or home renos now (or in the past couple of years), have you had issues with supply chains and seen prices on some things rise exponentially? We were thinking of getting all new baseboards throughout the house until we saw the crazy price increases. It's less to pay a finishing carpenter to fill in the gaps around the house (due to removal of electric baseboard heaters, etc) with the baseboards from our small bedroom and then use a similar baseboard in that bedroom. We weren't able to match the baseboards exactly, so had to think creatively. And same with the trim around the pantries and the window - it's almost the same, but not exact. Though close enough in both cases that I doubt anyone will notice as long as they aren't immediately side by side. And once our painter is done, they should look great. 

I shopped around a bit for fridges that I liked and most have a delivery date of 3 to 6 months. Wowza. 

We are having some repairs and renovations done in our bathrooms and the cost is much more than it would have been pre-pandemic. Also, issues getting some plumbing fixtures, things that used to be in stock, may now take a month or two to be available. Here’s hoping that prices go back down again! This work had to be done so we are paying the price but it was eye opening when the estimates started to come in.

Your kitchen looks great! I wish you many years of happy cooking and baking.  🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, curls said:

We are having some repairs and renovations done in our bathrooms and the cost is much more than it would have been pre-pandemic. Also, issues getting some plumbing fixtures, things that used to be in stock, may now take a month or two to be available. Here’s hoping that prices go back down again!

yes!

• Sad 1

On 5/10/2022 at 2:25 PM, Anna N said:

Nature may abhor a vacuum; Kerry Beal abhors a naked surface. 🙂

Kerry and I must be twins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;