• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen photos

gfweb

The flooring is oak boards with a gray stain.

Weed patch ie lawn and veg garden is directly out the window over the sink. In the context of colorado weed if I were so inclined there are plenty of other people growing that.

Dave, our floors are also oak. I really like the grey shade, we had ours sanded and stained with a cherry tone to match the bazillion cabinets we have ordered.

My contractor is really working my nerves- not communicating with the custom cabinet guys who he referred us to, filed permits for the work AFTER doing the work, which has us in limbo. Every day it seems there's more bad news delaying us. I have an yet to be diagnosed gastrointestinal issues and not having fresh food to make and eat is making life extra miserable. That combined with exposed walls and holes in the rec room ceiling to re-vent air ducts and the extended gas line...it's a lot for a first time home owner!

That said, my custom hutch has room for a 24 inch wide wine fridge. However, that seems to be a rarity other than super expensive, like 2k ones. Any suggestions?

My small kitchen ....

Although mirrored, your kitchen reminds me of the second apartment my DW and I rented. I found the layout of that galley kitchen very easy to cook in. In those days we never cooked for more than 4 people including ourselves when we had friends over to dinner. Does you space serve you well?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Thank that is perfect!

I'm a bit young to remember Green Acres though. I found my contractor is a very dumb way- I used yelp. Yes, I know. AND I failed to notice all his reviews were from people in CA who live near my in laws. He had JUST moved to NJ, although less than a mile from our home. I should have asked my parents but I was stubborn. Backfire! He is diligent and has fixed other little things that have popped up for free, but he is hardly familiar with state or township laws or subcontractors. I spend my entire day locked in the bedroom when he has electricians and plumbers here, because I don't know these people and get irrationally nervous. Plus they are in my attic a lot, which has drop down stairs right outside the master bedroom. My husband suggested I spend two weeks or so in Marco Island to avoid dealing with this and him coming down in weekend but I thought that was irrational. Now I know I was being irrational in not accepting th offer!

• Like 1

Thank that is perfect!

I'm a bit young to remember Green Acres though. I found my contractor is a very dumb way- I used yelp. Yes, I know. AND I failed to notice all his reviews were from people in CA who live near my in laws. He had JUST moved to NJ, although less than a mile from our home. I should have asked my parents but I was stubborn. Backfire! He is diligent and has fixed other little things that have popped up for free, but he is hardly familiar with state or township laws or subcontractors. I spend my entire day locked in the bedroom when he has electricians and plumbers here, because I don't know these people and get irrationally nervous. Plus they are in my attic a lot, which has drop down stairs right outside the master bedroom. My husband suggested I spend two weeks or so in Marco Island to avoid dealing with this and him coming down in weekend but I thought that was irrational. Now I know I was being irrational in not accepting th offer!

Probably you've done better than most with this guy. You used the words 'diligent' and 'free'...rarely combined with 'contractor' .

Probably you've done better than most with this guy. You used the words 'diligent' and 'free'...rarely combined with 'contractor' .

Very good point. While the electrical work came in slightly over budget they did a LOT of new wiring, I just need better communication. March is when we both have birthdays and I love going to spring Training.

We only have a fridge, a decent sized freezer that came with the home our has and a microwave we bought while living on Mott St. In NoLIta ages ago to live off of. And we are storing wine glasses, china, knives, plates, etc all over the place.

• Like 1

Although mirrored, your kitchen reminds me of the second apartment my DW and I rented. I found the layout of that galley kitchen very easy to cook in. In those days we never cooked for more than 4 people including ourselves when we had friends over to dinner. Does you space serve you well?

I've never cooked for more than four people here, either, although I believe it can be done without too much difficulty.  Still, four is very comfortable.  While the space is tight, I'm adapting and learning techniques to better use the space.  Before retiring and downsizing, my kitchen was about 375 sq ft with lots of counter space.

When I moved in, about 15-mos ago, some friends bought me this cart as a housewarming gift.  The extra space for food prep, the Breville, and storage is very helpful.

Kitchen Cart Smaller.jpg

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 2

... Shel

oh wow this is such a great thread!! I really enjoyed watching all those beautiful kitchens!!! 

Mine needs a major make over! I really hope I will have done it until next year. Also I know kitchen isn't the best place for a washing machine but I had nowhere else to put it so..

20150228_121109_zpsesbyhka1.jpg

20150228_121200_zpsrtryozmp.jpg

Now, the table, we don't really use it for dining, we usually store fruits, honey, water bottles and other stuff there! 

20150228_121304_zpstrwr5mxz.jpg

Here's the inside of the spice cabinet. I also put open pasta or flour packages there

20150228_121337_zpsacqtllws.jpg

I especially love this right here, The surface is perfect for cutting veggies and preparing meals on! And in the drawer we put oats, cereal, bread and candies! Yay!

20150228_121355_zpsalr55vmz.jpg

Here's one last with Tony the cat making an appearance! 

20150228_121426_zpsedh58dpw.jpg

Ps. Does anyone have any suggestions about wall colours? I'm painting the walls and I can't decide by myself! 

• Like 2

Anyone can cook!

-Chef Gusteau

Delayed again!! By two more weeks. I'm quickly losing it. Money doesn't equate timeliness.

I concluded, during our kitchen remodeling, that the term "independent contractor" implies the independence of a cat: you never know when the crew will turn up, or for how long. Take heart! It will get done, and you'll love the results, and eventually you'll have some fun stories to tell.
  • Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 months later...

Please ignore the mess. We had just gotten a large food delivery the moment we could, but here are the updates:

post-79663-0-29659800-1432007046 Kitchen 1 rot.jpg

post-79663-0-23124600-1432007066 Kitchen 2 rot.jpg

post-79663-0-10677300-1432007087 Kitchen 3 rot.jpg

post-79663-0-59293300-1432007129 Kitchen 4 rot.jpg

post-79663-0-82340900-1432007186 Kitchen 5 rot.jpg

post-79663-0-01813100-1432007216 Kitchen 6 rot.jpg

... the finishing of the outlets and the backsplash has been delayed due to this addition:

post-79663-0-92014000-1432007310 Kitchen 7 rot.jpg

Edited by Smithy
Photos rotated, and reference to upside-down photos removed, at member's request (log)
  • Like 7

I want your kitchen. Although I'd flip it 180 deg.

Nice pup. He won't fit there for long!

(Host's note: reference to flipping 180 deg. precedes the photo correction in previous post.)

Edited by Smithy (log)
  • Like 1

MetsFan5, are those double wall ovens I spy? If so, I am green with envy!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

So am I! I'm also envious of a genuine exhaust hood which, I assume, vents to the outside.  Lovely!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 month later...

Since I spend about 20 hours a weekend for 7 weekends in the spring in my faire kitchen I thought I would show the few pictures I snapped this year.

This is the basic layout. The table to the lower left is the dishwashing station and the shelving to the right of that is for air drying.

Kitchen_Plan_2015.jpg

The large grill and the 3-burner 30K BTU/burner are outside.

20150418_103028.jpg

This view shows the regular kitchen stove and (sort of) my steel table. It was exclusively my table (I paid for it) before I took the kitchen over in 2010. The window in the picture looks out at the grill.

20150418_103056.jpg

We have two basic banquet table that serve as our main prep counters. I have made stilts for them so that they are more or less counter height. That is my daughter prepping 4 lbs of Brussels Sprouts for sauting.

20150418_103109.jpg

• Like 5

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Wow, that's quite the set-up, Porthos! Thanks for sharing and I love that you gave us the floorplan.

Are you done now until next year or do you do one in the Fall as well? I know you told us, but I have forgotten.  :blush:

• Like 1