• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen photos

gfweb

I always like looking at kitchen stuff. So for fun and perhaps inspiration I'm starting a thread on The Kitchen.

Hi,

Take a gander at this page

http://news.distractify.com/pinar/perfectly-preserved-1950s-kitchen/

This 1950s Kitchen Has Been Untouched For Over 50 Years And It Looks… Wow.
  • Like 3

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

kitchen.jpg

My kitchen in the small apartment I used to live in , it looks the same as the one in my larger apartment, except I have  a fridge and freezer instead of a fridge/ freezer  and I have 50 cm less work space now, yeah 50 cm less, grr. Yes there is a kitchen table in there too, which is the norm for Swedish kitchen and for this era the kitchen used to have bed sofa, which I dont have.

Edited by CatPoet (log)
  • Like 4

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

We've lived in eight homes in the past 40+ years and we've had (and have) all the bells and whistles.  But it's this kitchen with the 1927 Garland stove, painted wood floor and metal ceiling tiles for the counter, that always brings a smile to my face.  

010.JPG

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 10

Love the Vulcan and Garlands.. they are beautiful ovens.  Unpopular poet, i love the family attachment. Weino the organization you have, boggles my mind. beautiful view too.    Blether, i pictured your kitchen like a laboratory and it did not disappoint! 

• Like 1

I have a relatively small house and small kitchen to go with it.  We moved in less than three years ago. One of the first things the kids did for me was to add some storage space. Here it is under construction

DSCN0116_zps6xw1mkd8.jpg

The first things I did was replace the refrigerator and stove. I would have liked a gas stove but didn't want to spend the money on putting in a gas line. I needed an oven that worked for Cassie's cakes. Maybe the gas stove is a couple years in the future.

DSCN0680_zpsv9pdfmt8.jpg

This is the side with the sink.  The door window now has matching curtains.

DSCN0679_zps9kpdv3ut.jpg

This is the last of the swing around the kitchen. This one was taken this morning.

DSCN2335_zpsymhsxagq.jpg

In good weather- and some not so good weather- we do some cooking outside. Here is a gas and charcoal grill and the smoker. The smoker was probably the first cooking thing I got after we moved.

DSCN0070_zpsz9xi61xs.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 12

Did this work? This is my freaking kitchen! I'm going nuts! Ok well if you view them sideways, maybe you get the idea? Not sure how to rotate pictures...

Where are you trying to go with this space? Hard to tell from the pics! But looks like some serious work underway!

I know, hard to view. The neon chalk outlines show the gas cooktop, fridge, double ovens, dishwasher, etc. We have a lot of custom cherry wood cabinets plus a small narrow island. The paint job currently makes me nuts- I don't get the concept of a 'statement, wall or two. Light granite with ivory and gold tones, and a deep, grated sink.

It's been a month with my kitchen looking like that. I am so sick of paper plates and plastic utensils- I'm going nuts. The room is long- about 26 ft but narrow, only 13 ft. We had the gas line extended from the garage as well. A large hutch will be home to a tv, with most of our wine glasses, a wine fridge, etc.

Garbage disposals are illegal in our state hut everyone has one anyway. That's a way off.

• Like 1

This was the ugly before state. We are using the cabinets and some of the granite for our mud/ laundry room. Why are my pictures upside down?! They're not when I view them otherwise. All these upside down pictures remind me of an episode of Weeds.

image.jpg

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 2

I feel your pain, MetsFan5.  Our kitchen remodeling was done in "record time" - meaning it only took 3 times as long as estimated - but we were very pleased with the final result.  I bet you will be too...over and above the sheer relief of being done.   :biggrin:

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I feel your pain, MetsFan5. Our kitchen remodeling was done in "record time" - meaning it only took 3 times as long as estimated - but we were very pleased with the final result. I bet you will be too...over and above the sheer relief of being done. :biggrin:

I really, really hope so! Even just using the range to heat a can of soup at this point would be a huge deal! I'm starting to second guess my floor stain and cabinet color, granite slabs, you know when it's not around it just makes you crazy mentally! And then the huge task of cleaning every.single.piece. Of china and glassware and serving platters and all the nice things from our wedding we haven't touched? I need to make sure everything has a home!

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)

Before

qWC5nhL.jpg?1

After

Gkn2Fd0.jpg

Added pantry storage and permanent buffet

KUL9Y7m.png

Fridge and floors

gzFGrCVm.png

Guest starring levain. This was a massive undertaking as we had to add a structural support beam in the middle of the room where the previous owner had removed a load bearing wall and rigged something hanging from the rafters by steel straps instead of pulling a permit and doing it properly.

Established January 2014. Induction hotplate and pressure cooker kept us well fed for the 100 days it took. Can't say I ever want to wash dishes in the bathtub again.

• Like 3

Oh and that original kitchen peninsula ^^ was constructed out of stained plywood fascia with a counter made of shellaced 2x4 boards that were laid in a mildly U-shaped concave/boat pattern I guess to prevent spills. But who knows?

100 days...wow

That is the very thing that is keeping my hideous old cabinets in place. When the time eventually comes I may be the general contractor and do it in controllable stages. I've heard horror stories.