• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen photos

gfweb

I always like looking at kitchen stuff. So for fun and perhaps inspiration I'm starting a thread on The Kitchen.

My kitchen has been one for a couple hundred years. We occasionally do cook in the fireplace, esp in the winter.

IMG_20140603_184611_516.jpg

Big old Vulcan range. Not the best ovens, but I'm attached to the thing. If we ever redo the kitchen there will be a tough decision to be made.

IMG_20140603_184024_796.jpg

Breville Smart Oven and pans

IMG_20140603_183956_052.jpg

The actively used cookbooks

IMG_20140603_184436_672.jpg

• Like 4

What is the part of the stove on the right hand side underneath what I assume are cutting boards? Love the stone walls. How old is it exactly? My SIL has stone walls like yours. They bought an old fieldstone house in the country, added a huge addition but left all the stone walls intact. What used to be the back wall of the house is now the stone wall in their kitchen. Similarly, another wall is their bedroom wall, also of the same fieldstone.

Under the cutting board is a big flat top that I've used once in 20 years and under that is a giant broiler. The whole thing has 11 pilot lights which warm the whole room if all are lit. We keep a lot of them off to save LP gas.

The place was built in the late 1700s and then enlarged. It's cool to think of what might've been discussed in that kitchen over the years.

I promised I would play along. Cross my heart my kitchen doesn't usually look like this. I am nursing six sick foster kittens and feeling a bit under the weather myself (minor bug). I promise at some point when it's cleaned up I will repost. In the meantime perhaps this will encourage the scaredy cats who think we all have pristine kitchens to post their photos.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna...Looks neat to me and incredibly efficient use of space as well. I have a couple of those "contigo" travel mugs myself. Great for both coffee and keeping sauces warm...mostly coffee.

Porthos...that grill is a major PITA to keep clean if it isn't used all the time. I suspect that the range is a restaurant model; no normal home could handle the labor to keep the grill clean.  I loved it the one time I cooked on it, but clean-up was monumental. A big cutting board on top hides the thing and is more useful for me.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

Anna...Looks neat to me and incredibly efficient use of space as well. I have a couple of those "contigo" travel mugs myself. Great for both coffee and keeping sauces warm...mostly coffee.

Porthos...that grill is a major PITA to keep clean if it isn't used all the time. I suspect that the range is a restaurant model; no normal home could handle the labor to keep the grill clean.  I loved it the one time I cooked on it, but clean-up was monumental. A big cutting board on top hides the thing and is more useful for me.

Contigo mug keeps water with ice in it cold all night long. Keep it beside my bed. In the morning there's still an ice cube or two left. Amazing.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

There won't be cleaner pictures - it's rarely cleaner!

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

Notice the missing drawer - apparently I put too much into the drawers and it can't support the weight - so contents of the drawer are in a box (two boxes actually) on the living room floor.  Apparently I will be getting the drawer back - of course hell hasn't frozen over yet!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This is a great topic.  Thank you all for showing!  I posted extensive photos last winter during my last food blog, so I won't take the time to do it again.  

Kerry, that granite countertop resembles one we considered before going for the more swirly effect.  Very cool.  I love the flowers, too!

gfweb, I'd love to have that big stone kitchen and fireplace and range.  What do you use the perforated long-handled tool for that's hanging to the left of the fireplace?

Anna, good for you for your foster care.  I like the way you have a screen (iPad?) set up right next to a work space.  Do you use that regularly for showing recipes or methods while you're cooking?  The place looks very usable.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Smithy,that perforated long handled thing is a walnut roaster. Amazon sent it to me instead of the French carbon steel pan I ordered. They said "just keep it" and sent me the right pan in a few days.  Never used it, but it looks so hearthy, so Dickensian, we keep it hanging there as an objet d'art.  We do have walnut trees, BTW, and they are a messy, black staining weed tree that crops up in every garden and wood. Never eaten one of them.

• Like 2

We do have walnut trees, BTW, and they are a messy, black staining weed tree that crops up in every garden and wood. Never eaten one of them.

Time to make nocino and vin de noix - no really - the nuts should be the right size now or in a couple of weeks!

Time to make nocino and vin de noix - no really - the nuts should be the right size now or in a couple of weeks!

Hmm. Makes me look differently at the things.

This is a great topic.  Thank you all for showing!  I posted extensive photos last winter during my last food blog, so I won't take the time to do it again.  

Kerry, that granite countertop resembles one we considered before going for the more swirly effect.  Very cool.  I love the flowers, too!

gfweb, I'd love to have that big stone kitchen and fireplace and range.  What do you use the perforated long-handled tool for that's hanging to the left of the fireplace?

Anna, good for you for your foster care.  I like the way you have a screen (iPad?) set up right next to a work space.  Do you use that regularly for showing recipes or methods while you're cooking?  The place looks very usable.

Yep. My iPad is always on duty not only for recipes but for email, instant messages, surfing, etc. it's a dream for me.

My 2004 eG Blog

wonderful kitchens.

have to clean mine up a bit i guess

wonderful kitchens.

have to clean mine up a bit i guess

No fair! Just post.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

OK just one:

The Nerve Center:

Nerve Center.jpg

note the Instant Espresso Jar.  My sister sends me these.  Pretty funny.

it is possible to make Perfect Espresso at Home.

Def:  'perfect espresso' = espresso that suits you or more importantly me 95 % of the time it's  

made.  You cant buy that espresso any where on Earth.  Even Italy. I usually run in the low

90's % wise.

Roasting Set up Not Pictured.

AnnaN:  take a closer look just to the R of the Set Up. More pics would crack the lens of my

SLR.

:raz:

• Like 5

gfweb -- love the stove -- it is the same one I grew up using.  My parents had installed it in the early 80s -- a few weeks ago, I went through the house again during an open house -- and there it was, still in working order.  Thing of beauty...with way too many pilot lights...

vulcan.jpg

• Like 4

Grow Your Own, do Ya ?

attachicon.gifGrOnions.jpg

I always buy Gr.onions w as much root as possible.  Keep this way for ever.

rotuts, do you have those in water only, or did you add soil?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

re: gr onions :  just water.  every few days you change the water and rinse out the containers and the roots and add back to

fresh water.  this works fine for garnish, green tops etc.

after a while the hollow tops develop a clear gel that is neutral in taste

back in the day , Justin Wilson had a N.O. cooking show on PBS.  he used to say :

" time to de-slime the Okra " 

he also had a small glass of Italian Swiss Colony Jug wine in a small jelly jar w his Cookn's

the jug was important as it had that finger hole thingy on it.

Oooooooo   Weeeeeeeeeeeeee !

• Like 1

Smithy:

Roots:

Roots.jpg

these are about 4 - 6 weeks old. you only need a few nubbin's of roots to start

as time goes by the white part gets quite soft and I dont use that

but the whole plant can be used for 3 - 4 weeks.  you just peel off a few of the outer layers if you want the

white part.  i use scissors to cut just the tops

eventually the 'peter out' and are replaced

photo taken  "In the Kitchen"

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

The kitchen and dining room are one big room, the main floor of the house. (This room was a big reason why we bought the house.) In addition to all the wood you see in the pictures, there's a pine ceiling. We also recently remodeled the kitchen.

Caffeine Central

coffee.jpg

Small Appliances 1

Blender.jpg

Small Appliances 2

MicroOven.jpg

Large Appliances

StoveHoodFridge.jpg

The Island

Island.jpg

Cookbooks in the Dining Room

DiningRoom.jpg

The Hutch (not the parkway)

Hutch.jpg

• Like 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

""  The place was built in the late 1700s and then enlarged. It's cool to think of what might've been discussed in that kitchen over the years. ""

I bet it's pretty interesting.  I take it you are in the PA area?  Ben F was keen on libraries.

in your spare time you could Query the various Historical Societies ?

did they have Cider down your way back then ?  they sure did my way.

" damm Ben, did you use rotten apples again? don't you tell me about your saved pennies ever

again  ....  "

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

re: pilot lights: i grew up in CA w a stove that had pilot lights, maybe 4.

this one, but not in red:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vintage+gas+stoves&client=firefox-a&hs=4FE&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&imgil=0mmMWRmUI31l2M%3A%3Bhttps%3A%2F%2Fencrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcRvN6dqW4W0PMElYluI37ozk5BqwwEOImE3XgaFB0PvZ77mMRbT%3B397%3B426%3B7YVwfpNqon2t7M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.antiquegasstoves.com%252F&source=iu&usg=__UGktElsXB1RV_Oi7fxmk55gyLSI%3D&sa=X&ei=LTKPU5a1FoStyATD5oDgBA&ved=0CC8Q9QEwAA&biw=1000&bih=868&dpr=1.2#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=0mmMWRmUI31l2M%3A%3B7YVwfpNqon2t7M%3Bhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.antiquegasstoves.com%2Fimages%2Fokmredknobs%2Fstovefront.gif%3Bhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.antiquegasstoves.com%2F%3B397%3B426

i thought of moving it to MA, but those pilot lights in the summer here .....

it was common in the late 40's and 50's

so .... gf does your stove 'leak' gas if the pilot lights are out ?

No leakage. We turn off the gas to them.

We are about as south and east as you can get in PA. One of these days we'll get a history person to research the place. We do have old maps from 1800s with some details re the property.

Redid a bathroom last summer. In the wall was a newspaper from the 30s talking about the rise of this Hitler person in Germany. I was hoping for a copy of the Declaration of Independence. Oh well.

Edited by gfweb (log)