• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wishbone removal: Why?

Mofassah

In most recipes for roast chicken I've stumbled upon, it says I should remove the wishbone. I have done it, and I have not. I must admit I am unable to notice any difference in the final result, other than the obvious, that the bone isn't there. So I'm wondering, why should it be removed?

Removal of the wishbone makes it easier to remove the whole breast in a single piece.  That is the only benefit; many find it well worth the small effort.

Tim

As explained by my butcher friend years back (one night when we were deboning a huge quantity of double Dolly chicken breasts) - people choke on that bone more than any other chicken bone - and removing it also makes it easier to debone the rest of the breast as explained by Tim. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

Because before the advent of electronic toys it kept the kids amused on feast days. Seriously, it does make carving easier but lends nothing to improve texture or flavour.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks for your replies. I usually just brutally cut my chicken in six pieces, first lengthwise and then make one piece with the leg, and cut the breast across in two equal part, one with the wing and the other without, and serve them bone in, so I haven't had any problems with the wishbone so far, and suspect I won't in the future either. :-)

Me too.  In fact the locals call them "pully bones" because that's what you do to make a wish.  At Thanksgiving, some local markets sell packages of nothing but pully bones  Just imagine a window sill filled with drying bones!

I remove it so that I can dry it out and then make a wish :)

Heh.  I do that too, but only after I cook the chicken. 

I must say I never even thought that the wishbone posed a choking hazard, let alone for LOTS OF FOLKS.  I find that just bizarre.  It seems curious to me how many, many folks in the West/USA just simply cannot handle bones in their food.

don't think for a moment that those of the Oriental Persuasion Understand Bones as much as Others .

after all, they were Soooooooooo busy Inventing pretty much everything,

omelettes, etc etc.  

soup of all kinds 

etc etc

you want to understand Bones ?

Find some Russians. 

Real Russians.

From the Rodina.