• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MasterChef 2014

Jaymes

Anyone else watching this?  Didn't recognize Graham Elliot.  Kudos to him.

And the last episode featured a terrific cooking tip that I've never seen.

Gordon Ramsay needed to steep some aromatics in broth.  So he got a French press, put the aromatics into it, brought some broth to a boil in a pot on the stove, then poured it into the French press and let it sit.  After the proper amount of time, he pushed down the plunger to remove as much of the flavor as possible before continuing with the recipe.

Smart.

I see lots of tricks, tips, techniques on these cooking shows, many of which I'll probably never remember to do. 

But this one?  I'm on it.

• Like 5

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 4 years later...

Not sure if there is a more up-to-date discussion of Masterchef, but thought I would post this here.

"Christine Hà, the 'MasterChef' winner known as 'The Blind Cook,' is now opening her first restaurant"

Chef Christine Hà, the first blind contestant on competitive cooking show "MasterChef" who famously drew praise from celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay for a number of her dishes, stunned the world by winning the series' third season in 2012.

Now, Hà, known to many as "The Blind Cook," is opening her first restaurant this April. The predominantly Vietnamese restaurant, which she has chosen to name The Blind Goat based on her nickname and her Vietnamese zodiac sign, will be located inside Houston's Bravery Chef Hall. At the time of writing, there is not a set date for the restaurant's opening.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I'm watching MasterChef the Professionals UK but I'm guessing its different from the ones above. 

I'm curious to see Marco Pierre White in the Australian edition one. 

It motivates me to improve on - trying - to plate. I bought molds and other tools for that purpose to make my stuff shine at dinner parties - hopefully

And the critics, Marcus Wareing, Monica Galetti, give really good analysis on why some dishes work and some don't - over/under seasoned, poor execution, over/under done protein, not well balanced, not tasting the ingredient, not having a reason for an item to be on a plate etc. 

I think I learned a lot watching the masters and it sure is motivating