• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Who Makes the World's Best Cup of Tea" - from the Guardian

egalicontrarian

Hello- Is anyone, other than me, surprised that China and Japan were not on the list? As a student of the world's tea traditions, my favorites are: China, India, Russia. Comments?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Hello- Is anyone, other than me, surprised that China and Japan were not on the list? As a student of the world's tea traditions, my favorites are: China, India, Russia. Comments?

I was very confused by this. In one of the polling results the UK gets like 40 something percent of the vote, so obviously bias in the Guardian's readership is part of the explanation. But I was also thinking about whether, at least in the case of China, the authors are thinking of China as the origin of tea and are interested instead in what various cultures do with the tea. But who knows.

IRAQ!!!

Like Turkish, but made with Ceylon tea until nuclear-strong. Iranian is superficially the same but nearly as weak as water. 

Very interesting, Hassouni. Thanks for the link to the thread! - and I do prefer my teas nuclear strong!

Edited by egalicontrarian (log)

I was very confused by this. In one of the polling results the UK gets like 40 something percent of the vote, so obviously bias in the Guardian's readership is part of the explanation. But I was also thinking about whether, at least in the case of China, the authors are thinking of China as the origin of tea and are interested instead in what various cultures do with the tea. But who knows.

Hello- I agree with your opinions and reasoning. I think, though, it is like not including a New-World recipe in a listing of great tomato, or chocolate recipes; or not including Cuba, Honduras, and Nicaragua in the list of great tobacco-producing nations.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)