• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 2)

elyse

I always found it interesting (mildly, anyway) that prunes have their own name. Dried figs are called dried figs. Dried apples are called dried apples. Etc. I don't think there's any other fruit that gets a name change like that. I love 'em no matter what they're called, but I the Sunsweet prunes have become so slimy that I can't stand them. What do they spray on them? I think the TJ prunes are better. 

44 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Raisins

Currants

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I always thought that prunes were specifically dried "Italian plums" aka "prune plums," those small egg-shaped plums. So if you dry any other kind of plum it really would be more appropriate to call it a "dried plum" and not a prune.

And I agree, those super moist Sunsweet prunes barely resemble dried fruit, they are so hydrated. I find bulk prunes are often way better, and appear more naturally dried so they are chewy the way other dried stone fruits are without that slimy quality.

If I remember my tangled threads, there is a long one on eG about currants, dried currants, champaign grapes, etc.  In my book raisins and dried currants are no way the same. Lots of dried grapes are reliably known as raisins, but not all are Sultanas, as far as I am aware. 

25 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

If I remember my tangled threads, there is a long one on eG about currants, dried currants, champaign grapes, etc.  In my book raisins and dried currants are no way the same. Lots of dried grapes are reliably known as raisins, but not all are Sultanas, as far as I am aware. 

That is true. (I remember that thread.) But sultanas are called sultanas whether they are dried or fresh. Same with currants. Grapes/raisins fit the plum/prune example. Craisins are just a marketing name, they are otherwise known as ... dried cranberries. 

Edit: not really sure about sultanas and currants when they're not dried, now that I think about it. It actually is something new: one item (grapes, of different sorts) that get different names only when dried? Don't know.

Edited by cakewalk
Added stuff (log)

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

I always thought that prunes were specifically dried "Italian plums" aka "prune plums," those small egg-shaped plums. So if you dry any other kind of plum it really would be more appropriate to call it a "dried plum" and not a prune.

Not really. Prune and plum are the same thing. "Plum" came from old English, while "prune" came from Latin. The scientific name for plums is "prunus". Only in American English, is "prune" used to refer to a specific type of plum. Elsewhere they are interchangeable although prune is more commonly used to refer to the dried fruit (of any type of plum). In the past, people spoke of "dried prunes".

c 1400 Drie prunis

- Quoted in OED

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Bought these this morning. Roast cashews with chili pepper. Wow! They are volcanic. Brought tears to my eyes.

bag.jpg

cashews.jpg

I'll go back tomorrow for more!

Host's note: this enticing topic continues here.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto