• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 2)

elyse

Bless you for posting that!  I used to buy the stuff ("Makes your mouth happy!"), but it would be so much better to make it.

You know, in my part of the world I know guys who you can bet that, if their fridge contains anything, it will contain at all times the following items essential to the survival of the late night living, single southern male species-

Beer

Mayonnaise

Pickled Okra

Cream Cheese

Pickapeppa

Packets of soy from the chinese takeout place and a couple of mustard paks

More Beer

(don't look in the vegetable drawer. Just don't. Trust me.)

Not only can you survive on this diet, but you can flourish and entertain. A tray of pickled okra accompanied by a hunk of Philadelphia Brand Cream Cheese (even pikers don't buy the generic stuff-nothing spells loser with a capital L like generic cream cheese :wink: ) slathered attractively with Pickapeppa can show your guests that not only are you willing to put out the best in their honor but that you also have peerless taste and style! (Lord, I sound like some kind of demented Brini Maxwell :wacko: ). You will need some Captains Wafers, but you can always just skip the crackers and use your fingers.

Pickled okra is easy to make and when you go to the market to buy the goods, remember this timely tip-in the case of okra, size matters. The smaller the better.

Demented Brini Maxwell?-That's an oxymoron I think. Yeah. It has to be.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

this is the guy who thinks corona is out there and drinks bud from the can

A perfect description for several people I know!

I get into too much trouble if I'm drinking wine while posting.  :blush:

Perhaps that is something I should keep in mind more often... of course I do my share of getting in trouble when I haven't had anything to drink, also.

Maybe instead I should just do what Jason does...

Frequently, what I am usually biting on is my tongue.

Great laughs here! And great photos to illustrate this thread, Spaghetttti.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

• 6 months later...

Thought I would bump this up...

I am snacking on Wheat Thins...but not just any Wheat Thins. They're Sundried Tomato & Basil Wheat Thins and they taste pretty darn good!

I actually thought I was grabbing the Roasted Garlic Triscuits off the store shelf but discovered my error when I got home. I was distracted mid-grab by another customer who wanted me to reach for something on the top shelf for her (hey, both crackers come in yellow boxes...anyone coulda made the same mistake).

It was a tasty mistake.

They have the steady bass note of the regular Wheat Thins flavor but on top of that is the sweet sundried tomato-ey taste (or is that the high fructose corn syrup? :laugh: ). The basil is very subtle...so subtle you can barely taste it but it's there (at least, according to the ingredient label, it is).

Overall, a "thumbs up" from me. Very satisfying, too.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

right now? New England clam chowder.

calm down, it's a small bowl. (that's addressed to my conscience and any lurkers who know me well)

Soba

edit: it's from our corporate cafeteria. first time I've ever had a clam chowder that had a nice balance of clams, potatoes, onions, *bacon* and cream. *drool* :wub:

Red wine and Bleu cheese.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Just finished a bowl of Cheerios, Froot Loops, blueberries, and skim milk. (It's my daughter's spring break so we all slept late... it would've been just Cheerios except she finished the box.)

Now I'll go make myself a nice cup of French roast.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I tend to spend most of my time on eGullet, and right now I'm nibbling on these crispy peanut wafers.

gallery_11814_92_1095435731.jpg

Rempeyek! Don't see any ikan bilis though, this must be the other type...

I usually hate peanuts but I love them in these.

I tend to spend most of my time on eGullet, and right now I'm nibbling on these crispy peanut wafers.

gallery_11814_92_1095435731.jpg

Rempeyek! Don't see any ikan bilis though, this must be the other type...

I usually hate peanuts but I love them in these.

I bit early for that eh

• 3 months later...

So the kids are in bed and hubby it out of town and I get time online without distractions- this calls for a snack of course! :biggrin:

Tonight I'm having a glass of Casal Garcia Vihno Verde and bread with mayonaise and thinly sliced vidahlia onions toasted. One of my summer faves. I also like sour cream, chili paste and garlic on a rice cake.

What do you like to munch on late at night?

(edited for spelling)

Edited by goldie (log)

Whole wheat English muffin with sharp cheddar cheese is my favorite snack.

Alternatives include peanut butter foldovers or fruit with yogurt creme on top (a little bit of whipped cream folded with 4 oz of yogurt).

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I often make a late night frittata. There always seem to be eggs around and some vegetables or other things I can chop up and throw into the eggs to make something interesting. At that hour I'm usually too tired to make anything serious. It's easy to start the frittata on the stove and then slide the pan under the broiler to finish. Eat it with whatever bread you've got left over and life is good.

popcorn. and maybe some beer with it. i like to fry the kernels in butter and add paprika and salt as soon as they start popping. that way they get coated with wonderful brown butter with salt and paprika. munch munch.

a fried egg, really soft though, I get the pan very hot and just drop it in for a second so the yolk is still soft.

that with a little ketchup (and plenty of salt) is just gorgeous.

or biscotti and a glass of milk for dunking.

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam