• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 2)

elyse

Worked through lunch..... so now having Mrs. May's Cashew Crunch... and weak employer-purchased decaf coffee that's about to be traded in for ice water.

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

• 5 months later...

What do you eat while you read eGullet? Snack foods? Soda? Candy? Crudites?

or do you find enough here to not desire any foods while you read? :wink:

Can you manage to use your mouse, read your monitor, and use your free hand for something munchy all at the same time? :blink:

Let's hear your personal tales .... I can't eat while I read eG because my computer is upstairs and all the food is downstairs ... plus oily mayo on the keyboard is a lousy idea ... but how about you folks? Share?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I frequently eat a delivered meal while browsing eGullet, pausing between bites to write something now and then. I also have often snacked on something while posting. The things I've eaten while browsing and posting are too numerous to mention.

Michael aka "Pan"

Well, as evidenced by my greasy, sticky mouse -- it's almost anything & everything I'm reading about on eGullet! During the pizza survey in NYC, I was chomping on some delivery pizza. Back in the Burger Club days, I was making & eating them while scrolling through the posts.

And, my keyboard needed extra cleaning while following & eating the boiled peanuts thread!

I may have gained 50 pounds as a result but I love eGullet!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Most days I am alone for lunch so I haul my lunch over to my desk and browse the board while enjoying my lunch. It's like having lunch with a bunch of friends. I can get VERY upset if there are not enough new postings to the forums that interest me to last through lunch. :sad:

In the evenings I munch on pistachios while browsing.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Usually I don't eat anything when I first start browsing the threads...

but that's quickly remedied. I constantly crave larb! Especially since I moved to a small town that has NO good restaurants.

Sometimes I end up eating home-made hummos and toasted pitas. Good, but its not, NOT larb!

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Currently fresh Irish soda bread and tea. (Of course, I'm supposed to be working at home today -- just took a little break to bake some bread and browse eG!) :biggrin:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

This reminds me of one of my favorite threads, What Are You Snacking On?. Recently I wondered if it will revive, and now maybe it will.

I don't eat any meals at the computer. Maybe I would if I were alone, but probably not. I don't snack a lot, but when I do, it is likely to be while at the computer, reading eG, and some likely munchies would be popcorn, cheese, raw vegetables, or leftovers. And once in a while, Cape Cod Sea Salt and Vinegar chips.

But I do drink! Late evenings will usually find me online with a glass of wine.
...Same here!

Another strange thing if I'm snacking at the computer is edamame and beer.

LOL, I sure came up with lots of examples for somebody who doesn't snack often.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

right now i'm with the other susan(in fl). i usually don't eat in front of the computer but sit here while the food i'm making is finishing cooking(most of the year) or am recovering from 8-12 hours staring into the skies to count migrating raptors( now through the end of november) and having a glass of something. earlier it was an appertif of prosecco. now it is a half glass of a hungarian chardonnay given to us by our neighbor( no, really i like him and he likes us) that is a 1999 vintage( this is the guy who thinks corona is out there and drinks bud from the can). it is more like sherry than anything else.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

It's safer to eat while reading eGullet, or else I'll find myself reading about something on some forum that either 1. I won't be able to get or 2. I really shouldn't have on my current budget and yet, it will not leave my brain until I find a suitable substitute.

However, if I'm reading while, in the case of tonight, feasting on someone's mom's fabulous chicken with mole sauce, I'm less likely to develop a sudden, urgent need for blinis, or lobster rolls, or...

The barbeque shrimp I made during my blog week, though, resulted in a household napkin shortage before I allowed myself to post my dinner. Laptop keyboards are harder to clean. :)

--adoxograph

The past week I've intermittedly been eating Pocky while surfing eGullet. I found some Thailand-made CHEAP "grey market" Pocky with Thai writing (rather than the Japanese-made) in San Francisco's Chinatown the other day and hoarded the stuff. It's just as good. I think it'll be a meal replacement each day for the next few weeks. :biggrin:

I am enjoying some of these, as I often do as a late night snack. :wink:

Bless you for posting that! I used to buy the stuff ("Makes your mouth happy!"), but it would be so much better to make it.

I'm usually just drinking tea or coffee; any nibbles are nuts -- cashews or unsalted peanuts, that is.

I get into too much trouble if I'm drinking wine while posting. :blush: