• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 2)

elyse

We buy 2 pound bricks of unremarkable (Costco Kirkland) sharp cheddar cheese and, using a food processor, grate it into half pound portions that go into ziplocs and then into the freezer. I just did that task and had enough cheese bits left from the mess that I made a 1/2 grilled cheese sandwich and sat down with it to egullet some more.  We go through about 2 bricks of cheese a month so I maybe will have to see how much mess there is again in the future. Good sourdough, butter and sharp cheddar, how can you go wrong.

• Like 6

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

开火果.jpg

Bought this lot this morning.  Not only do I like pistachio nuts but also like their Chinese name  开心果 - kāi xīn guǒ. It translates as 'happy nuts' - or literally, 'open heart nuts' - open here being the verb, so 'open (your) heart nuts'.

• Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 1/24/2017 at 5:37 AM, Duvel said:

I am too scared to try ...

But the only context I could imagine eating this would be snacking while reading egullet :P

WP_20170114_12_35_04_Pro.jpg

My husband got these from his dad for Christmas.  Our daughter made him promise that he would wait so she could record him for a live tasting on FB.  She loves to stop at the Asian or Middle Eastern market and get something completely unknown and put her 1st taste on FB.  

• Like 2

On January 24, 2017 at 11:09 AM, blue_dolphin said:

It's not the cracked pepper that would give me pause about diving into that bag!

I suspect @Duvel had tongue firmly in cheek when this was posted.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

I suspect @Duvel had tongue firmly in cheek when this was posted.

You are a sharp observer of the human condition ... but as English is not my mother tongue, my puns tend to get lost in translation :raz:

• Like 2

not sure if snacking or linner........sautéed some bison, minced onion, red and yellow bell peppers.  Added some of my taco mix, salsa and a tiny can of corn.  Into a dish, topped with chopped black olives and some grated cheddar.  It's in the oven now.  I have some Tostitos whole wheat scoopers and my Cholula chile lime sauce.........

OK no salad so definitely snack..................

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On 1/29/2017 at 9:58 PM, liuzhou said:

black plums.jpg

Dried (sort of) black plums.

How do these differ from what used to be called prunes, and have since just become, well, "dried plums"?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

11 hours ago, MelissaH said:

How do these differ from what used to be called prunes, and have since just become, well, "dried plums"?

They don't differ. The name change (in the USA) is explained here.

But I just translated the Chinese name which has always just been "dried plums", an accurate description of what they are.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, MelissaH said:

No one eats prunes.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No one eats prunes.

No one?  Are you saying I'm no one? I eat prunes.  I eat pork with prunes more often than I eat pork with apple.  Sheesh. :D

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

No one?  Are you saying I'm no one? I eat prunes.  I eat pork with prunes more often than I eat pork with apple.  Sheesh. :D

I eat prunes, too. Sometimes with dried plums. Depends what it says on the packet!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I eat prunes, too. Sometimes with dried plums. Depends what it says on the packet!

Apparently ours start out as prunes which are then dried! I find that most amusing. I have never seen a prune tree but then I live a very sheltered life.

image.jpeg

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

The change was unquestionably a brilliant marketing ploy. Alas, it coincided with a sharp increase in their price (at least in my neck of the woods). 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning