• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 2)

elyse

Oh My !

@Toliver  

Kudos your way to follow a family tradition.

you have reminded me of one of my own that Ive forgotten about :

My Mother always provided a home cooked meal while I was growing up

indeed Breakfast was 2 poached eggs in this egg poacher thinly  and they were a bit like HB eggs

no mater  

she did make a Clam Dip for Thanksgiving , Christmas , and Easter as we always had about 20 students over for those dinners

indeed  CA BBQ once a month 

how do  you make this delicious Clam dip ?

a couple or so of Canned Clams

one to two Philly Creamed Cheese  packets   and one or two crushed fresh garlic cloves

you mixed this up , used the Jus of the canned clams  and put it in the refit for at least a day ore more to 

mature  !

Ill make some soon

thanks for the remider !

• Like 2

Ah ha, that clam dip was part of my childhood in Los Angeles.  My folks piled it into a hollowed out loaf of good sourdough bread.  Wrapped it in foil and heated it in the oven until the dip was hot. I found the recipe.

1 large loaf unsliced crusty sourdough bread

2 8oz packs of cream cheese

3 61/2 ounce cans chopped clams, reserve 1/4 liquid

2 tbsps grated onion

2 tbsps beer, (they put some form of booze in EVERYTHING)

2 tsps each worcestershire sauce and lemon juice

1 tsp Tabasco sauce

1/2 tsp salt

With sharp knife, cut top from bread, set aside.  Hollow out loaf leaving a 1 1/2 to 2 inch shell.  Cut removed bread into cubes for dipping.

In large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth stir in clams onions beer, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice Tabasco sauce and salt  Add clam juice in mixture seems to thick,

On a baking sheet, make a cross with two sheets of foil long enough to cover loaf.  Center bread shell on fil.  Pour mixture into shell , cover with bread top and wrap loaf with foil. 

Bake in a preheated 250 degree oven for 3 hours, remove and serve.

Toast bread cubes in oven during last 5-10 minutes of baking time if desired.

Good served with veggie dippers as well as the bread.

They called this Slow Ball Dip and I have no idea why.

To my knowledge they never watched a baseball game in their lives.  More likely there was some R rated story behind the name.

This used to be our go-to meal for watching the World Series. That all change this year when all we ate was crow!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some generic corn chips from Aldi's dipped into a queso made with Velveeta, Rotel, a dollop of Catamount Salsa and some Cholula chili lime. 

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 weeks later...

Last night a throwback to my 4 year old self...

Ritz crackers with a smear of Miracle Whip and blue cheese

Ritz crackers with a smear of mustard and extra sharp rat cheese(Cheddar)

Three of each

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

4 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Banana bread (home made) and extra sharp ceddar (imported from the USA). Several samples were consumed while working on computer. 

Nope. That's just WRONG.  For me. So glad we're different! :D:D

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Last night a throwback to my 4 year old self...

Ritz crackers with a smear of Miracle Whip and blue cheese

Ritz crackers with a smear of mustard and extra sharp rat cheese(Cheddar)

Three of each

Rat cheese. Haven't heard that term in ages. Used to get it on bologna sandwiches at the little country grocery up the road from my house when I was a kid. Loved me some rat cheese, especially when accompanied with chocolate drop candy and Ritz crackers.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

cakes.jpg

Green Tea "Buddha" Cakes (绿茶佛饼 - lǜ chá fó bǐng) and Hong Kong style Egg Tarts 蛋挞 - dàn tà.

I'd love to claim that I made them myself, but it would be a lie to trump all others. They are shop bought. The green tea cakes are made from the tea with sticky rice and sesame seeds. I like them a lot. And what's not to like about egg tarts?

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

kunlun figs.jpg

These were sold as "昆仑果乡无花果" - kūn lún guǒ xiāng wú huā guǒ which means "Kunlun Fruit Village Figs".

Whether they are really from the Kunlun area or not, I have no way of knowing. Probably Xinjiang.

Whatever, they are good eating! Sweet but not too sticky.

($11 US / £8.50 UK per kg. Those pictured weigh 200g )

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

After seeing @sartoric's fresh peach salad on the Dinner thread, I was jonesin' hard for peaches. Since it's winter here, and currently 21 F/-6 C with snow on the ground, I'm fresh out of fresh peaches. I had a can of Del Monte canned ones with no sugar added in the pantry. They made a fine snack on a bed of shredded iceberg lettuce with cottage cheese.

I can't wait for summer fruit!

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

This what I'm NOT snacking on. This morning, I was in one of the local government owned department stores in town. It is notoriously expensive, but they have a few things no one else has. I needed some ground ginger powder and it is one of only two places which regularly have it - and it is, by far, the nearest.

ginger powder.jpg

While there, I noticed these.

tyrralls1.jpg

tyrralls2.jpg

"Ooh!" I thought. "I'll have some of those."

Then I noticed the price. 38.80 元 a pack! That is $5.62 USD / £4.62 GBP. A similarly sized packet of Lay's costs around 4元 and Asian brands such as Oishi, from the Philippines, around 3元. The Tyrrells may be better but at 10 times the price, they'd have to be majestic. Which I doubt. They are just fried potato slices!

Classic.jpg

oishi.jpg

So I went with the Lay's.

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 6

For whatever reason I was minded this afternoon to shake out my keyboard.  I got more than enough for a meal.  Or, quite seriously, more than enough salt for a meal.  I was surprised.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

You mean the microwave technique in the link?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning