• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 2)

elyse

The best bit of cheese on toast is the bit where the cheese has fallen off the toast and made little crispy bits. It is known :)

I, uh, may help that process along a little more than is strictly necessary ;)

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

My daughter just dropped these off. OMG. 

Dear God. I hope they don't have these anywhere near me.

I would weigh 300 pounds.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

try making Cheese-on-Toast  san the toast.

a carefully watch non-stick pan works. as much crispy bits as you can stand

you've been warned 

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

try making Cheese-on-Toast  san the toast.

a carefully watch non-stick pan works. as much crispy bits as you can stand

you've been warned 

I have made frico many times but that requires work and hence is "safe".  These are more dangerous than illegal drugs. 

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

Don't look, but Amazon has them.  The price will knock you over sad to say.

26 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

Don't look, but Amazon has them.  The price will knock you over sad to say.

No idea what my daughter paid but she got them from Costco and one reviewer on Amazon suggests they are cheaper there.  Bag contains over nine ounces and would take even the most dedicated snacker a few sessions to empty!   At least I like to think so else I must define myself as a total wuss  in the snacking department.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Good to know.  I too have a daughter that is wonderful about finding tempting food so I will have her grab a package or MORE,  She shops at Costco often.  Imagine, fricos at my fingertips on demand!

• Like 1

So this afternoon, I was snacking on the roasted chickpeas leftover from my lunch.  So much so that I didn't want any dinner.

But around 9 PM, I did want a little something.  A little pot of baked ricotta seasoned with garlic, rosemary and lemon zest, drizzled with olive oil, crisp toasted ciabatta and a handful of kalamata olives:

IMG_2973.jpg

And a glass of dry rosé.  Just hit the spot!

• Like 11

On 24 May 2016 at 8:37 AM, sartoric said:

Spicy peanut sauce with pappadams.

image.jpeg

Sartoric, when I first looked at the above photograph, the first thing I thought was "pregnant?" - but then it struck me - wrong gender! Hope you enjoyed it. O.o

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

Sartoric, when I first looked at the above photograph, the first thing I thought was "pregnant?" - but then it struck me - wrong gender! Hope you enjoyed it. O.o

Ha ha, right gender, too old !

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@blue_dolphin

Would love a glass of wine.  Riesling? Pinot noir? Unfortunately I am on call for the hospital this weekend and have limit myself to water on the rocks, possibly with a twist.  Olives don't go well with water ;)

• Like 5

Ham and cheese sandwich toasted open faced for a few minutes in a hot oven, on good bread that is labeled French, but reminds me a lot more of a good Italian bread. With home baked and sliced hickory smoked real bone-in ham and medium cheddar. Ham on one side, cheese on the other, and sandwich closed after cheese got bubbly and bread was toasty.

This was as good as Arby's used to have back in the day, so eat your heart out, modern Arby's. :P

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

• 1 month later...

I found these in a local store this morning.

Beetroot Crisps.jpg

"Beetroot Crisps" according to the packet. I have never seen beetroot in China, but I love it, so I had to buy a packet to test. They are imported all the way from Uruguay, which seems a bit ridiculous.

Unfortunately, they were certainly past their best. It's a long, tiring trip.

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

@HungryChris,

When you snack, you do not mess around! Oh man, that sounds and looks so good!

Thanks, Thanks!

As I continue to mend from eye surgery, I find refuge in the kitchen and kind comments about my efforts there, good medicine. 

HC

• Like 4

Crunchy (I assume fried) fava beans, with a sweet-salty mildly garlicky flavored coating.

20160713_193718.jpg20160713_194311.jpg

Also some really nice Japanese ale brewed with red rice by Hitachino Nest (I haven't noticed rice driven flavor, but it's a good ale).

• Like 4

~ Shai N.

48 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@HungryChris I hate to think what fried zucchini does to your keyboard.  Here I look down at the floor underneath the desk and see a bunch of peanuts.

Good point. In this context, I use the word "while" quite liberally, when in fact, there are snack and photo sessions which are followed by a good scrubbing at the sink before returning to the keyboard.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 2

River Li Beer Fish is a well known speciality of China tourist trap, Guilin and particularly the nearby small town of Yangshuo which is a horrible Disney-fied version of some alternate universe's version of China full of spotty backpackers who have been in China 15 minutes, worked it all out but can't live a minute longer without a banana pancake and a very bad pizza.

The river is beautiful; the town is a nightmare. Lonely Planet hell.

The beer fish dish is carp (careful how you spell that), supposedly from the Li River, braised with chilli and spices, soy sauce and the local beer, Liquan, made in Guilin. The more gullible tourists think that the fish is caught at night by local fishermen with trained cormorants who dive for the fish by torchlight then hand them over to their masters. In fact, they are farmed just outside the town in the other direction. The cormorant guys are a dying breed who just perform for the tourists.

Now they have launched what is labelled as Li River Beer Fish (漓江韵啤酒鱼). However, this has no relation to the original. It is beer food in the sense that it is the sort of thing you may gnaw on while sinking back a beer or seven.

lijiang beer fish 1.jpg

lijiang beer fish 2.jpg

I like the way the sardine-sized fish are lined up from biggest to smallest, like the kids in the Sound of Music.

The ingredients list on the package is useless. It lists "fish", edible oil, salt, and soy sauce. I can see and taste the unmentioned chilli and there are other flavours in there, too.

In the pursuit of scientific based knowledge, I bought a pack and munched them down with a gallon of the aforementioned Liquan beer. They are fine. I would up the chilli content and even the salt level. Or the beer.

liquan.jpg

lijiang beer fish 3.jpg

Those 6 cost me ¥12 which is USD $1.79, € 1.62, £27.80 (since the result of that idiotic referendum).

Did I mention that I don't like Yangshuo much?

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto