• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 2)

elyse

Anna, the last time you mentioned these I went out and bought a bunch from amazon.  The problem here is that my old teeth aren't up to them.  I love the taste however.  I still have a couple of packages left, though I gave some to my son (where they were very well received).

By the way, how do you keep your hands from getting empingly sticky at the keyboard?

Fingers are not an issue. I use an iPad and dictate my posts.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A slice of beer cheese bread (Anna's recipe; thanks, Anna!) spread with some Fromade d'Affinois. And a cup of Brazil Estate coffee.

A slice of beer cheese bread (Anna's recipe; thanks, Anna!) spread with some Fromade d'Affinois. And a cup of Brazil Estate coffee.

Right on. But of course it wasn't really my recipe. After a while many of these recipes show up on the Food & Drink site of the LCBO.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sweet and spicy pecans.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...

Snack time!
Black olives stuffed with anchovies....and a beer!
MMMmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

:smile:

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

By the way, how do you keep your hands from getting empingly sticky at the keyboard?

I spotted these in the local store the other day. Specifically for snacking while at the keyboard. Made in Japan, natch.

chiptongs.jpg

tongs.jpg

Of course I had to buy them! The equivalent of $1.80 USD.

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Just found this topic for the first time.  Yummm.  I'm snacking on some wonderful pecans from North Carolina, generously sent to me by a fellow eGulleter.  I'd love Anna N's sweet and spicy recipe to plonk some of them into.  Please...

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne,

Just look them up on Epicurious where they are called "sweet and spicy candied pecans".

Edited because I have never run into a candid pecan though I know a few candid nuts!

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

I often make (or occasionally buy) a bunch of this for snacking purposes while on eG and other sites.

In Chinese it is 牙签牛肉 (yá qiān niú ròu), which means 'toothpick beef'. Postage stamp slices of beef are marinaded in Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, chilli flakes, maybe cumin powder and sesame seeds then laced onto yes, toothpicks. They are then swiftly deep-fried. Delicious hot or cold.

Best with a cold beer!

ycnr.jpg

• Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 3 months later...

Those look delicious!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 months later...

I got so hungry while viewing some of the professional quality photos and reading about people's dinners, and looking at the stunning food from BKEats' new restaurant, I had to have a snack quick.

I tore up 3 slices of good processed white American cheese, added a couple Tablespoons of hot commercial salsa, shook in plenty of crushed red pepper, added a couple TBSP milk, and nuked for a minute and a half. I used up the tail end of a bag or tortilla chip crumbs which are fine with cheese dip, but not with salsa to me. Not gourmet, but I have to say that for something that took less than five minutes to create, it was delicious!

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

Thought a snack would be nice with all of the college football on today. Decided to do some baked jalapeno poppers. Stuffed with a mixture of cream cheese, cheddar and green onion and wrapped in bacon. $15 + assembly time wasted. Jalapenos with zero flavor and zero heat. Bell peppers have much more flavor than these bland green turds the local store sells as jalapenos. I stuffed and wrapped some mushrooms the same way and they're pretty tasty so it wasn't a complete blank... but I'll never buy another jalapeno locally.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Too bad about your jalapenos, Tri2Cook. Your stuffed jalapenos sound really good, and it's a shame there was no flavor in the peppers.

We had that problem for a while, and then we acquired quite a large Latino immigrant population. I'm lucky enough to be able to get good hot jalapenos, tomatillios, nopales and just about anything else I want for Latin American ingredients here. I try to taste before cooking, because the husband can't take much heat, and usually scrape out at least half of the jalapeno membranes and seeds. Dang near killed myself with some fresh salsa I made for myself one time with the full strength seeds in. 

I don't know if you have any Latino markets in Ontario, but if you do, you should be able to find hot jalapenos. They do not put up with our dumbed-down Gringo peppers.  :smile:

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

I don't know if you have any Latino markets in Ontario, but if you do, you should be able to find hot jalapenos. They do not put up with our dumbed-down Gringo peppers.  :smile:

Yes, this, if you can.

You might also try serranos for heat, though they tend to be skinnier and longer than jalapeños.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I didn't cook all of them on Saturday so I attempted to improve the leftovers with some Thai chiles I had in the fridge. I removed the bacon, laid a half of a seeded Thai chile on top of the cheese filling and rewrapped. Made for a huge improvement but I still won't buy the grocery store jalapenos again. I'd be very surprised if there are no Latino markets in Ontario but I'm betting none of them are within 1000 km or more of where I live. It's not really a problem. If I decide to do them again someday, I'll just do habanero poppers instead. The local grocery store habs are actually pretty good.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

There are Latino markets in Kensington Market in Toronto. Oh, and I know of one in Ottawa now.  You won't find any in Peterborough.   Oriental, East Indian, yes...Latino no.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

sartoric,

I love kale chips and make them the same way you do except I cook them longer. I like mine extra dry and crispy. It's the only good use I have found for the tough overgrown kale I can get at the grocery store. Such a lovely guilt-free nutritious snack.

I used to grow my own and pick it much smaller, and it's good sauteed or boiled or in a salad, but once it gets too mature, the only way I like it is chips. Every time I make it I remind myself how much money I'm saving. The commercially available chips are crazy-expensive.

Also use a lot less salt than you think you need. The first time I made them I failed to compensate for evaporation.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <