• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arpege Eggs with Maple Syrup

lizziee

My first thought in the thread was the clouds of Arpege spritzed about by dorm mates in college lo these many years ago...a distinctly unpleasant food additive.

And that segues into hot glue and boiled Velcro? Is there any taste transference?

I've never made either recipe, but somehow have acquired just the SPOONS for the dish...don't know whether to hang head in shame or make the eggs for dinner.

bump

Arpege Eggs with Maple Syrup

Lacking an egg topper, I was able to use a very sharp knife and carefully making a slit in the egg shell and then by using cuticle scissors, the top one third shell was easily removed.

Now as for simmering the open top shells, sans the egg white, how to keep the shells upright in the water bath without tipping.

My solution is to hot glue a small piece of Velcro to the bottom of the shell and then glue another piece of Velcro to a magnet. Using a stainless saucepan, put the magnet with the Velcro attached on the bottom of the pan, and mount the eggshell so the Velcro pieces are secure. Fill pan with simmering water and cook for about 2 1/2 minutes.

Sound about right?

woodburner

When reality and ideology meet, reality will always win out.

Magnets won't stick to stainless steel...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Magnets won't stick to stainless steel...

from the All Clad website:

Features and Benefits:

Beautifully polished, magnetic stainless exterior layer.

Pure aluminum core that not only covers the bottom of the pan but also extends up the sides. This allows for great heat conductivity as well as an even heat distribution so you won’t have “hot spots” when cooking.

Stainless steel interior layer/cooking surface.

Long, polished stainless, stay cool handles.

The handles on your All-Clad are secured with sturdy, non-corrosive rivets.

Polished stainless steel lids that fit even with the pan’s edges to seal in the flavor of your foods.

The All-Clad Stainless collection is compatible with an Induction stove top (with the exception of a few pieces) in addition to gas and electric stovetops.

The Stainless collection is dishwasher safe excluding those pieces with a non-stick cooking surface.

woodburner