• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking burgers sous vide, have some questions

seannymurrs

Something I have done successfully, but I don't do it often...

Put the meat from your butcher down on a large cutting board and whack at it with a heavy chef's knife.  If it's not clear, I am serious with the suggestion.

I have done that. It gets very tiring very fast!

What do you think about maltodextrin and dextrose in the burger to keep it juicy even if doing it medium?

• 3 months later...

I think I've cracked the texture issue, after trying the idea mentioned a page ago.

I'm balancing the meat mix by adding butter (in this case 5% total weight.) The butter gets worked into a compound butter with 0.7% salt and 0.2% black pepper, relative to the weight of the meat. Roll the butter into a small cylinder with plastic wrap and freeze. 

When the meat is partially frozen, distribute the various cuts randomly on a tray. Cut the compound butter into small cubes and distribute evenly with the meat. Drop the butter cubes into the grinder along with the meat, striving for an even distribution.

Cook S.V. as you normally would. That's it. The result was perfect seasoning, no need for any last-minute seasoning of the patties, and no noticeable toughening from the salt (done without any kind of control; I can't promise there's no change in texture). 

That's it. I believe the butter keeps the salt sequestered from the meat proteins long enough to prevent much curing to happen. 

I did this with a blend of 1/3 chuck, 1/3 brisket, 1/3 oxtail. Next time I may try shin instead of oxtail (cheaper and easier) and add the marrow to the mix to compensate for the cut's leanness.

Notes from the underbelly

Tonight for me was a sous vide burger.  Brushed simply with a little liquid smoke.  This fulfills the promise of sous vide.  Convenient, 'cause I bagged and cooked the burgers some while ago.  Charred on the outside, pink on the inside, no gray.  Ten minute dinner.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou