• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello from Sydney!

hi everyone!

my name is stephanie and i'm a malaysian girl now living in australia. i've always grown up around food and cooking is something i love to do in my spare time. i recently completed the harvardx science & cooking course on edx and this has led me down the rabbit hole of modernist cooking which i'm extremely excited about!

i love combining asian flavours with french techniques in my every day cooking, and now regularly rely on my water bath and thermo whip. i also naturally love eating, and i will eat just about anything :)

thanks for having me!

• Like 1

Welcome, Stepanie

You'll find a fair number of "Modernists" here jand certainly lots of interest in Asian cuisine.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Welcome, Stephanie / absolutelyfuzzy!

As Anna noted, there are a lot of "Modernists" here as well as cooks of all other stripes.  I also took that edX course.  I enjoyed it and learned a lot from it.  Did you have a favorite - or least favorite - section from that course?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

thanks guys!

i'm still fairly new to modernist cooking, but i'm very interested in how it can improve the results of my cooking. 

nancy - i had a lot of fun and i'm glad you enjoyed it too. my favourite was "diffusion"... and week 10's fermentation was my least favourite :) what about yours?

thanks guys!

i'm still fairly new to modernist cooking, but i'm very interested in how it can improve the results of my cooking.

nancy - i had a lot of fun and i'm glad you enjoyed it too. my favourite was "diffusion"... and week 10's fermentation was my least favourite :) what about yours?

I had so many enjoyable segments that it's tough to pick out a favorite! I loved the level of detail and math that went into the phase changes and diffusion, and did my final project on diffusion; however, I also loved fermentation and thought it was fascinating! :smile:   I think my least-favorite section was on elasticity. That was at least in part because (IMO) the presentations were confusing. I still haven't taken the plunge into Modernist cooking, but this class opened my eyes to the possibilities. I'm interested in seeing what others are coming up with now, and I'll enjoy seeing what you come up with, too.  :cool:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown