• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekend trip to Napa Valley

chefmd

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

Those burgers look amazing.

And wow on that presentation--is that a live tomato plant or did they cut a branch off?

Shelby, we could not resist the burgers!

it was a tomato plant branch.

• Like 2

There was a guy at Single Thread eating alone, looking somehow different from other guests.  I suggested to our server that he was possibly from the Michelin.  The server mentioned that it was this guy's second visit but also said that "everyone is from Michelin" as far as the restaurant is concerned.

• Like 3

Just because he was eating alone or looked different from other guests doesn't mean that he is a Michelin inspector.  I have a friend who was once a Michelin inspector, and while he is still not allowed to divulge details from his experiences, I know that he was always at least with his wife, if not other people as well.  Also, another friend has a friend who is friends with Sam Sifton (used to be food writer for the NY Times) and she once accompanied him to dinner in a place he was going to review - there were 4 people at the table that night, including Sifton...

But, it is nice to hear the server say that everyone is treated like they were a high-powered reviewer!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Just because he was eating alone or looked different from other guests doesn't mean that he is a Michelin inspector.  I have a friend who was once a Michelin inspector, and while he is still not allowed to divulge details from his experiences, I know that he was always at least with his wife, if not other people as well.  Also, another friend has a friend who is friends with Sam Sifton (used to be food writer for the NY Times) and she once accompanied him to dinner in a place he was going to review - there were 4 people at the table that night, including Sifton...

But, it is nice to hear the server say that everyone is treated like they were a high-powered reviewer!

But I had so much fun with my story!  

There re is no doubt in my mind that this place will have 3 stars in 2018, it will be next to impossible to make reservations, and the price may increase.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lunch at Redd Wood.  Mushroom, panchetta, taleggio, asiago, red onion, kale, black garlic, mascarpone pizza.  Sounds like a lot of ingredients but it was delicious.  We shared one pie.  It was very difficult not to order half the menu but we resisted.

IMG_0135.thumb.JPG.07272885af1f535cf81852b320748993.JPG

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1