• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

May 2014 China Trip

basquecook

can't quite make out the Chinese in the 'Banana' example, but it certainly doesn't say 'banana'. It seems to say "炸春卷" which would make sense. It means 'fried spring rolls'. How they got from that to banana is anyone's guess. Maybe they have been smoking the banana skins.

It does seem to be 炸春卷 on blowing up the pic w/ some resolution enhancement.

I can't make out the Chinese in the "Stir-fried Broccoli" example, other than the two characters, 玉米 (yù mǐ) which mean 'corn'. I'm guessing the Chinese is correct and they've been on the banana spliffs again.

Looks like 香--玉米粒 from a (still fuzzy) blow-up/res enhanced pic, with the second character still unclear...does that help?

You seem to have missed the point. Again.

Thank you. I can read. It is a shit translation. It doesn't matter which characters preceded or follow 玉米. Broccoli isn't mentioned anywhere. Or bananas. 

Check out Dogberry.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

You seem to have missed the point. Again.

Thank you. I can read. It is a shit translation. It doesn't matter which characters preceded or follow 玉米. Broccoli isn't mentioned anywhere. Or bananas. 

Check out Dogberry.

I didn't miss the point.  You missed the intention of my response.  You said you thought the characters for the 1st dish were 炸春卷, I merely commented that they did seem to be.  You could only make out 玉米 in the Chinese name for that "broccoli" dish and commented that you presumed the rest of it was appropriate, I offered what seemed to be the 1st and 5th characters - so that might help in your confirmation of the name in Chinese.  That was all.  Of course the English translations are wrong, I did not dispute that.  You might want to check your attitude.

Edited by huiray (log)

Lunch today..  Huge amount of food. It's Children's Day here.. A big holiday.. We are working through it, I don't think people are happy with me.. But, hey, business is business and if it makes them feel any better, i missed Memorial Day. 

cold goose.. they sell live goose directly outside of this place.. they butcher them on the spot.. there are tons of geese sitting in this box.. there feet are tied together and the are squawking all day.. 

14337976573_c406e4c84f_z.jpg

cucumber

14338421983_70a090f626_z.jpg

pork ribs-

14337941873_a5bb63c026_z.jpg

This was stupid delicious.. fried eggplant that were cut into coins.. in the coins, it was stuffed with pork.. served with a spicy garlic and ginger sauce.. So delicious.. My bride would have loved this as well.

14294602036_41e4de674c_z.jpg

fish ball and bamboo mushroom soup.  

14294600996_14c4e61510_z.jpg

fish head.  when asked what kind, the chinese translation was chub.  It looks fiery and while, kind of hot, it's more salty than anything.   Hot doesn't bother me.  unless it's super hot, i don't even realize it.  

14314448181_4c51457118_z.jpg

I think because i asked about the tofu bone sauce yesterday, they thought i liked it.. today it was not nearly as good.. the sauce more watery.. taste less rich and more like dishwater.. while yesterday, i may have guessed there was butter in it. 

14317104024_d975dfdc5d_z.jpg

chicken with ginkgo nuts.. they were very bitter.. i am not sure if they were ginkgo, someone else called them cloudy beans.. 

14337936533_1984f0a630_z.jpg
As if there was not enough food, they ordered noodles at the end of the meal.. very delicious.. in a garlicky brown broth. 

14131170940_98e2d5d1a9_z.jpg

Not many leftovers..

14317740205_1b670fcab1_z.jpg

so full, once again.. like after every meal, i am disappointed with myself.. i give myself a pep talk, don't over eat this time, don't over eat this time.. I thought i did well and that the meal was over.. next thing you know the fish head comes out, which is one of my favorites.. then come the noodles.. I am so ashamed.. I just can't control myself..   
Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 2

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

i usually come back a pound or two either way.. some times I have lost 5 pounds.. I broke a toe and have another injury and came over sick so, i haven't been using the gyms.. but, this is the first trip i haven't been going to the gym everyday while i was here..  the scale in my room has been broken but, i am nervous to get on the scale.. 

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

In terms of dining etiquette, i don't think they would be offended, in terms of angry.. but, they would be concerned  that I was not happy and ultimately, keep ordering dishes until i said, wow this is really good and ate it.. Like, i have gone to dinner with people that were scared to eat the food in China or were not feeling well that night or we just not hungry.. They kept ordering dish after dish, watching to see which one these chose.   I of course was eating every dish like i was on a deserted island for the last 12 years..  

All of my hosts have been so warm and concerned for me.. There is such a graciousness.. Like the three of us stand like idiots in the elevator waiting for the other one to go first.. It takes us like 2 minutes to walk through a door as i want them to go first, they want me to go first.. It's just such a kindness and a consideration.. So, to answer your question, i wouldn't say offend, it would make them concerned that someone wasn't happy.  

It is certainly Children's Day, but that isn't the reason for the holiday. Children's Day (June 1st) isn't a public holiday in China, although parents and grandparents will spoil their brats rotten on that day - toy shops make a killing.

The reason for the holiday is because it is, coincidentally, this year, also the Dragon Boat Festival (aka Duanwu Festival). This is held on the 5th day of the 5th month of the old Chinese solar/lunar calendar and Monday is a public holiday. It is one of China's most important festivals.

But your food. Odd meal.

How was the goose cooked? It looks rather gray. Maybe I'm just used to Hong Kong style roast goose which comes with golden crisp skin.

Does the cucumber have a dressing?

The stuffed eggplant 'coins' are one of my favourites. Every supermarket has them ready prepared, but I prefer to do it myself. I want to know what is in that minced pork!

I've never come across chub in China. I'm not even sure it is indigenous to Chinese waters. Translating fish names is one of my biggest headaches. But, I'm also a fish head fan.

The gingko nuts (or ginkgo nuts) certainly look the part, but I"ve never known those to be bitter. (Cloudy beans usually refers to 'kidney beans' and is actually a misconception of the Chinese. Anyway, they aren't kidney beans, I'm sure.)

I don't know about Chinese dining etiquette; would your hosts be offended if you ate only a small amount?

In my experience of such meals, it is unlikely anyone would notice, so long as you eat a little of each dish. If they do notice, it is perfectly acceptable to lie through you teeth and invent some malady. They will know you are lying, but it saves face all round and everyone goes home happy.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

Ha... still working.  just starting drinking beer and more tea to soldier through.  

The goose was boiled.. As I said, the geese are literally downstairs.  I have had this simple cold dish of goose many times in China.  it wasn't grey, perhaps it looks that way on your computer.. the meat was really lovely actually.  The fish, i don't think is chub but, that's what her translator said on the phone.  They would not have brought anything in from outside of the town.. This restaurant is a little restaurant in a little shitty hotel that a small family runs.   We were in a small sectioned off room while maybe 15 people were sitting in another room watching television.  

The husband is a chef who bought the restaurant and it happened to have a hotel attached.. The food ranges from average to excellent.. Being a saturday, being children's day, I don't think he brought his A game.. But, the eggplant was pretty fantastic.. 

edit to add.. whoops, today is Sunday.. 

Strange, none of those geese can be comfortable, but the ones at the right look especially uncomfortable. Do you know whether they're left hanging like that routinely, or had those tried to escape and gotten snagged just before the photo was snapped? There doesn't seem to be room for them inside the cart.

Going back to food etiquette: if there are no leftovers, do the hosts take that as a sign that they didn't provide enough?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

these geese are being delivered somewhere..  so, this guy is loading them up.. but, they didn't seem under duress they were just like chilling..  even the guys tied to the side of the cart.. 

That is a good question.. I am not sure at this point.. I am really comfortable with most of the people i go visit at this point..Some i have 12 year relationships with..  They know me and i often show my exasperation in their ordering too much.. Today, i was done before the fish and noodles arrived.. 

Someone else asked me how expensive these meals are..  I took a walk tonight around town as i am sort of full and very bored.. i really like the foot massages here but, with a broken toe, I don't know how that would work!  Though, allow me to make a 10 percent off the foot massage joke.  

the meal today was probably 250 to like 320 rmb.. Tonight at the grocery store, a pint of hagen daaz costs 88 rMB.. So, you could have eaten that entire meal for the cost of three or 4 pints of ice cream.. 

• Like 1

the meal today was probably 250 rmb.. Tonight at the grocery store, a pint of hagen daaz costs 88 rMB.. So, you could have eaten that entire meal for the cost of three pints of ice cream.. 

But Häagen-Dazs is notoriously expensive in China. It's hardly a fair or meaningful comparison. You could probably get 20+ pints of Nestle ice cream for that price. But what does that prove?

Going back to food etiquette: if there are no leftovers, do the hosts take that as a sign that they didn't provide enough?

Usually, yes. Recently, however, there has been a drive against conspicuous over-ordering and waste, but it's still a sensitive subject.

I rather imagine that the hosts in this case are having a great time. It is now party policy (which effectively amounts to law) that banquets consist of no more than four courses + one soup. This can be waived when foreigner guests are being entertained. That said, when President Xi Jinping entertained Vlad Putin last week, the official banquet was limited to an austere ten dishes.

they serve hagen daaz ice cream on United Airlines to china... That must be like a point of luxury then.   It doesn't prove anything, I find it interesting, i was just sharing.   

they serve hagen daaz ice cream on United Airlines to china.

If that's how they spell it, it must be a Chinese fake.

Just like my Didias t-shirt which the Beijing Silk Market vendor insisted was genuine Adidas. As if the Silk Marlet would ever have anything real.

:smile:

Edited by liuzhou (log)

i am sure i am misspelling it.. my internet is too slow, it would take me 5 minutes to spell check.  does google work well by you?  i have to use yahoo and it always times out. 

i am sure i am misspelling it.. my internet is too slow, it would take me 5 minutes to spell check. does google work well by you? i have to use yahoo and it always times out. 

I was only joking.

Yes, China's internet is atrocious, especially if you are sharing public connections such as those in hotels, but I am at home with a personal connection and have years of experience of getting round 99% their blocks and delays. I get to Google, Facebook, Youtube, and (I think you mentioned) the New York Times and all the other news media, usually with no problems.

I had to look up the spelling, too.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

ah, i am sure my posts are riddled with errors.. In between long work days and everything else, i don't spell check, proofread, or edit.. i just post stuff.. i work enough all day! if grammar mistakes upset you, or anyone, you have been not so much forewarned but, mid warned. 

• Like 2

no worries, not offended at all 

lunch.. I am proud of me.. After skipping dinner last night, after skipping breafast this morning, i was finally hungry for lunch... And, without over eating and without drinking beers, i left the table not over stuffed and ashamed..  It turns out i do have some will power. 

it turns out the chef is not from Yangzhou.   He likes to pride himself on his originality of his dishes..  Today he was on his game.. The meal was really damn good. 

We started with cold pork jowl with tofu.. You know, this way a vegetarian and a carnivore could sit down and happily share this plate. 

14326909955_8fe9f8d37c_z.jpg

beans cooked with star anise and peppers..  I almost created an international incident when i asked to see the chef's Anise.  

14140299880_afde3d7eba_z.jpg

I was mistaken.. This is not cucumber, it is a cocooza. spelling.. thought it was a cucumber but, it keeps it's shape and texture much more.. I forget the spelling and google isn't' helping.. but, it's those large plants that grow huge cucumbers.. the guy in my office grows them and gave me a few.. it was in a spicy broth.  Really nice

14325150202_9b64176761_z.jpg

greens

with little shrimp:

14323580361_5f31c2aa46_z.jpg

more chicken like yesteday

14140244098_922ff6d70a_z.jpg

pork bone soup with sliced pork and tofu bean curd sheets. 

14323581471_0f3638ef19_z.jpg

because of the holiday today, they brought out free zongzi.. it's because of a Poet i believe.. today is a special holiday but, we are ruining it for them by making them work. they accompanied it with a sweet sugar that i would compare to the inside of a pixie stick 

14303760806_c50175a4c4_z.jpg

14140078978_6fe5f249f9_z.jpg

these were beautiful fish in a muddy spicy sauce. they had a really soft texture, not a lot of bones and was full of roe.. it was delicious.. favorite thing on the table

14140016118_1ff48ef7c6_z.jpg

this item shows off the chef's creativity.. yangzhou is known for it's lion head meatballs.. These were called, Lion King Meatball in Chinese.. While there was very little meat, it was mainly tofu, egg and nuts.. there was a slight cinnamon taste.. it was really unique.. While i didn't love it, i thought it was good.. it was the last thing that came out so, the fact it wasn't a huge meatball was a relief.  

14303634606_5f241d440f_z.jpg

14326077974_8d5e7a2dfa_z.jpg

Forgot another plate of greens

14325011672_d1f93026e7_z.jpg

• Like 3

well, it was a short lived victory... i am now way too full again.. It was a major holiday and our last night working with our customer.. So, we went out for a celebratory traditional yangzhou dinner..This place is really good. it remains my favorite restaurant in yangzhou.. It is also my hosts favorite restaurant in town.. We went out with some of their friends and family.

Jellyfish salad with bead curd. 

14328681834_a6a20328ff_z.jpg

this makes me know i am in Yangzhou.. This shredded tofu is really the best here.. i have had it in other parts of china but, it is never as tender and fresh as it is here.. i have purchased this type of tofu in the US in plastic bags and it is hard and spongy.. Here it is soft and tender and just amazing.  Yangzhou is famous for this dish and it is a proper accolade. 

14142723909_77c485ea8c_z.jpg

Little shelled shrimp:

14142865127_383eb0cfda_z.jpg

everyone got one of these.. a large head on shrimp in a sweet and sour sauce with little pieces of rice and bits of pork.. Almost like a risotto.

14306248676_9e3398fd78_z.jpg

a gorgeous chicken.

14142761240_560f523f41_z.jpg

yangzhou fried rice:

14142720449_8a40b7fb00_z.jpg

individual lion head meatballs. the broth is so rich and delicious.. the meatball so light and airy

14142718369_8d5ecc5250_z.jpg

favas and local vegetable.. it bleeds red. i have had this from Southern China in Pinghu up to Yangzhou.. it's a good green

14142715988_d23773476e_z.jpg

spicy cauliflower and pork

14306236766_8fd7c096ea_z.jpg

a very whimsical dish.. "mice like rice".. playing on the zongzi, it was little mice made of sticky rice stuffed with his like sugary vanilla egg custard.. 

14327630332_b184fe6957_z.jpg

one of my favorite parts of my trips.. My friend, she is very business..very tough, very sweet. she is the boss of her business and house.. i introduced her to Bob Marley tonight.. She loved him.. At first she was like, who is this ugly guy.. She listened to Trenchtown Rock, No Woman No Cry, Three Little Birds, and Stir it Up..She was like enthralled and mesmerized..  I only wanted her to listen to one song and she kept demanding i show her more songs.. At the end, she was like, I no longer think he is ugly, i think he is beautiful.   I can only assume she will have dreadlocks when i see her in november.. 

ahhh crap. i don't know how to attach a video from flicker but, she is listening to No women no cry for the first time.. She is loving him.. 

Off to Chengdu tomorrow!  So close to home! but the work is over.. Nothing left to do but, smile, smile, smile.  

• Like 7

These posts are wonderful. Thank you very much! The mice-like rice are particularly entrancing.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

These posts are wonderful. Thank you very much! The mice-like rice are particularly entrancing.

thanks.. i really appreciate you following along.