• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Milk: How do you make yours?

Shel_B

I sometimes enjoy a cold glass of chocolate milk, and I usually make my own.  I use Dutch process cocoa, sugar, vanilla, sometimes a bit of espresso powder, and often a pinch of salt, plus, of course, milk.  How do you make yours?

2 Tbs hot milk or water

1 Tbs Dutch process cocoa

1½ tsp granulated sugar (don't like the milk too sweet)

¼ tsp vanilla extract

⅛ tsp espresso powder

12-oz cold milk

I mix the cocoa, sugar, vanilla extract, salt, and espresso powder (if using) into the hot milk and mix well until the result is a smooth, thickish mixture.  Then the cold milk is added, a little at a time, stirring well between additions.

... Shel

I open the carton labeled "chocolate milk" and pour it in a glass. :biggrin:

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Personally, I make a syrup, just like the ubiquitous chocolate company (LOL), then fridge it, and use like normal.

I use just about the same ingredients, minus the espresso powder, and a touch more sugar, but otherwise quite similar. Sometimes, when I'm going to have my diabetic daughter on the weekend, I'll make a small batch with splenda, just so she can enjoy too....

• Like 1

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

Sometimes, when I'm going to have my diabetic daughter on the weekend, I'll make a small batch with splenda, just so she can enjoy too....

I never used Splenda.  Do you use it measure for measure in the syrup?

• Like 1

... Shel

And just in case it sounded like I was being flippant, I wasn't. The only time I drink chocolate milk is after a long bike ride (or at the end of a long session on the spin bike during the winter) and that's only if it already happens to be in the house. Then I'm just chugging it down for the carb/protein shot. So I don't bother with gourmet.

There was a recipe in one of the Duby's books that was actually intended to be used as a base for other recipes that was petty tasty on it's own. It involved melting dark chocolate in hot cream and milk chocolate in hot water, chilling them, removing the cocoa butter that solidifies on top of the water mixture and combining them. If it's not being used for recipes, just to drink, it requires sweetening to taste with simple syrup (or sugar)*. And if that's not an eGullet-worthy pain in the arse way to go about making some chocolate milk, I don't know what would be. :raz: I found that a bit of carrageenan in the mix helped keep everything together better but that wasn't in their recipe. 

*Yes, all of those steps could be combined into one step by just heating the cream and water and pouring it over the chocolates, emulsifying it, sweetening to taste and chilling. They were done separately in the book because they were used in different combinations and ratios for the recipes they were used in.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Yes, Shel, you can use Splenda measure for measure in just about any recipe.

Tri2, what a wonderfully over-complex way to make some choco-milk..lol

You should talk to dcarch for fine-tuning your recipe, he could probably build a machine...to open the carton...which contains the ideal result....hahaha

Seriously, in my opinion, if you crave choco-milk, make a syrup of your choosing, cool it next to the milk, then mix the two, and enjoy!

Yes, I know you could use some carrageenan, or maybe some xanthan gum, to get the "ideal" texture, but FFS, its just chocolate milk......

No offense was intended by this post......to anyone....

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

When I want hardcore, euro-style, stand a spoon (or churro) up in it chocolate milk, I use Lebovitz' recipe, about 2.5 oz of chocolate per cup of milk. (See http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2005/11/parisian-hot-ch-1/ ).

For my my "everyday" chocolate milk, I double the milk.  About an ounce of decent dark chocolate (about 70% works well), chopped and whisked into a cup of simmering milk, along with a tbsp or so of sugar and a pinch of salt. Simmer and whisk for a minute or so to thicken.

For an adult version, we sometimes stir in a splash of Bailey's at the end.

Fair enough,

I'll be honest here... I like Hershey's Syrup. I use about half what the bottle says to since I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but it's my go-to.

Fair enough, Chris! The syrup I make is almost  like it, Splenda, or otherwise....

If you like your chocolate milk, drink it or make it however you choose......

Personally, I prefer strawberry milk...

I sometimes enjoy a cold glass of chocolate milk, and I usually make my own.  I use Dutch process cocoa, sugar, vanilla, sometimes a bit of espresso powder, and often a pinch of salt, plus, of course, milk.  How do you make yours?

2 Tbs hot milk or water

1 Tbs Dutch process cocoa

1½ tsp granulated sugar (don't like the milk too sweet)

¼ tsp vanilla extract

⅛ tsp espresso powder

12-oz cold milk

I mix the cocoa, sugar, vanilla extract, salt, and espresso powder (if using) into the hot milk and mix well until the result is a smooth, thickish mixture.  Then the cold milk is added, a little at a time, stirring well between additions.

Sounds very close to what I do:

30 mls of cream (slightly heated in microwave, makes stirring int he cocoa easier)

½ tbs of cocoa

sugar to taste (my 6 year old likes it sweeter than I do :wink:  )

a pinch of salt

200 mls of cold milk

I never tried adding in espresso powder or vanilla extract ... I might try tonight.

U-Bet, Brooklyn Baby..  

A long time ago before fat stuck to me, i would use milk, butter, sugar and salt (along with whatever chocolate i melted from bars, i had)  Heat it up and let it cool, whizzed it with a stick blender and served it in espresso glasses..  Now I don't drink milk and live variously through the little one.  

86448133_6f6d2df229_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK