• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What cooking oil do you use?

patrickamory

Canola oil is fine IMO.  If you are one of those who find it fishy then by all means avoid it but to lambast it as the Devil's Spawn and whatnot is excessive and extreme.  Oh, GMO foods being a KILLER PAR EXCELLENCE of folks left right and center is an overwrought concept without merit, at least in its more shrill forms.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

For frying, I like to use lard which is relatively neutral in flavor but still has a richness that vegetable oils don't typically have. Apart from that, I prefer peanut oil but that's becoming harder to find because so many people have allergies. I use corn oil when I can't find peanut. I don't use canola anymore, since it ends up taking on a rancid fishy flavor and aroma when heated to high temperatures.

I use non-EV olive oil or grapeseed oil when sauteing or pan frying, though this thread makes me want to check out rice bran oil.

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 1

Well maybe because I never reuse frying oil canola works for me.

I CAN taste reused frying oil and despise it.

The only time I use oil twice is when we do a fish fry on the back deck. I cook the taters first (two steps), then the fish. The oil used to get cooled in situ, then put back into its plastic container and thrown out.

One time the raccoons came up after dark and started fishing cornmeal bits that had fallen off the fish. I was afraid they'd be burned, but apparently the oil had cooled enough so they were okay. They scratched the non-stick surface of my fryer with their claws. Now I take it inside to cool as soon as it won't require an ER visit if I trip or slop a little.

> ^ . . ^ <

I am not a fan of canola oil, as I am one of those who detects a fishy odor even in a newly-opened bottle. Yuck. I'm currently auditioning for a general-use neutral vegetable oil.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I'm currently auditioning for a general-use neutral vegetable oil.

I've just started playing around with safflower oil.  In fact, I'll be using it for the first time this afternoon.

... Shel

A comprehensive list of the smoke points on various oils can be found here.

Note that some grapeseed oils have a higher smoke point than others.

I believe I mentioned earlier in this thread that I have been using REFINED safflower oil for frying.   I like it because it does not have an unpleasant odor when it gets really hot when a scant amount is used over high heat (in a wok). 

I like the flaxseed oil for low temp saute and also for use IN baked goods.  I routinely use it in my breads with great results.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Tin bubbles at 449*F,  Maillard reaction occurs at temps substantially lower than that.  I don't feel that I learned how to brown a protein properly until I bought my first tin-lined copper pan.  I don't see the need to even get close to the smoking point of the majority of oils out there.  I'd lose tin before the oil started smoking on more than a few oils.

Edited by CharlieStanford (log)
  • Like 1

Tin bubbles at 449*F,  Maillard reaction occurs at temps substantially lower than that.  I don't feel that I learned how to brown a protein properly until I bought my first tin-lined copper pan.  I don't see the need to even get close to the smoking point of the majority of oils out there.  I'd lose tin before the oil started smoking on more than a few oils.

There are many recipes that say to heat oil until smoking.  I don't know if that's a particularly good instruction - I've never heated my oil to that point - and I don't really know how important that is, but those are the recipe instructions.

... Shel

There are many recipes that say to heat oil until smoking.  I don't know if that's a particularly good instruction - I've never heated my oil to that point - and I don't really know how important that is, but those are the recipe instructions.

"Until smoking?" or "Until it begins to smoke"?  I think that would represent a big difference.

The only time I allow oil to get to the smoke point is when I stir-fry in the wok with peanut oil. I can't think of any other dishes that I cook on heat that high.

For "regular" saute items, I just watch to see the oil "ripple" which indicates to me that it is time to add the food.  I've been doing this for more than 60 years and it works ok for me. 

For wok stir-fry I took a tip many years ago from a friend who owned a restaurant up the street from me when I lived in Reseda, CA.  He showed me that they add oil that is already hot to the woks and so it is instantly ready.  I put the oil I'm going to use in a small tea kettle and keep it over a low flame so it is hot but not smoking and then pour a bit into the heated wok.

Instantly ready to add the meats and then the vegetables. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

It is definitely not good instruction regardless of the pan or the smoke point of the oil.  The oil just needs to be hot enough to show 'legs' like a glass of good red wine.  If one waits until there is even a wisp of smoke and the protein is substantially smaller than the pan then the oil around the edges is almost certainly going to burn.  Of course, pan size needs to be matched to the job at hand but that isn't always possible in all times and all places.

It is definitely not good instruction regardless of the pan or the smoke point of the oil.  The oil just needs to be hot enough to show 'legs' like a glass of good red wine.  If one waits until there is even a wisp of smoke and the protein is substantially smaller than the pan then the oil around the edges is almost certainly going to burn.  Of course, pan size needs to be matched to the job at hand but that isn't always possible in all times and all places.

Just wondering -  have you done a Chinese-type stir-fry?

Edited by huiray (log)

Just wondering -  have you done a Chinese-type stir-fry?

I have not cooked it in my own kitchen.  I've eaten it at some fairly good restaurants and I always found it to be a yawner unfortunately.  Now I'm wondering f it's because they burn the oil.  Do they?  What good comes from heating to the smoke point?  I've never had a stir fry that contained a component whose Maillard temp wasn't at least 50 degrees below the smoke point of the oils I'm guessing were being used.

Well, if as you say you have eaten in good Chinese restaurants and don't care for the stir-fry dishes it may be that this type of food is just not your cup of tea.  That's OK, no one has to like everything.

• Like 1

Hello- I cook with Peanut Oil

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

• 3 months later...

Canola is passé. We Canadians now have a brand new oil to market to you Americans! http://threefarmers.ca/camelina-oil/ Has a 475 deg. smoke point. Still working on a marketing board for it but the Dragons liked it.

Perhaps you want to stick that in your pan and try to smoke it. :biggrin:

(note: I have absolutely NO affiliation with, or interest in, the company that produces or markets this product - but I was certain rotuts would want to know about it).

I usually use safflower oil for high heat searing. I choose this over over light refined oils just because it's the cheapest at the stores where I shop.

I'm close to 100% sure that the off-flavors from Canola come from low quality oil and aren't innate to canola. I don't notice any change in flavor (or much flavor at all) when I've used it. I also saw it used exclusively for sautéeing fish at Le Bernardin when I staged there. Eric Rippert has a more refined palate than I do. 

In general, smoke point has a lot less to do with the variety oil than with the degree of refinement. The more refined, the higher the smoke point, and the less flavor. Dark, cloudy, unrefined grapeseed oil is for salad; light, clear refined grapeseed is for sauté.

• Like 3

Notes from the underbelly

I'm close to 100% sure that the off-flavors from Canola come from low quality oil and aren't innate to canola. I don't notice any change in flavor (or much flavor at all) when I've used it. I also saw it used exclusively for sautéeing fish at Le Bernardin when I staged there. Eric Rippert has a more refined palate than I do. 

I think it may be one of those things that some people can pick-up and some can't...like rotundone in black pepper (it's been said that ~20% of folks can't detect it.)

I've tried many recommended 'premium' canola oil brands and some not so premium....they all ruin food.

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!