• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What cooking oil do you use?

patrickamory

Thanks Ashen.

I actually learned about it from others who buy it at Costco, unfortunately, the closest Costco is 125 miles away.  :huh:

How do you like the oil?

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I usually use olive oil for deep-frying, on the rare occasions that occurs.

Yikes! Using an oil with a low smoke point at high temperature, is um... like, um... playing with fire.

I use olive oil for anything I can find an excuse to. I'm moving toward rendering my own animal fats but I'm intrigued with rice bran oil, especially for deep frying, thanks to this thread...

"""   extra light olive oil  """

is used to use this some time ago when i wanted less olive oil flavor.  so long ago the Internet was Young

found out that its a heat processed Olive oil, at best if not something unrealated to the olive in anyway

it  ( then ) was said to have none of the health benefits of olive oil and a certain amount of artificially induced saturation.

this may not be the case now, but I dumped it for grapeseed as that easy to get now at TJ's

I have never used extra light olive oil but mentioned it to illustrate that for high heat cooking and frying, that olive oil isn't always a low smoke point oil.  When you heat any olive oil it loses many, if not most of it's good attributes.  I do keep EV olive oil in these two containers and notice that it gets rancid smelling after a short time.  However,

DSCN1448_zps387e9797.jpg

on the other hand,  I have not noticed any unpleasant odors with canola oil, so I went to the kitchen just now to see what the fuss was and discovered I don't have any at the present time. All I have right now is peanut oil, unfiltered EV olive oil, and sesame oil.  

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

Yikes! Using an oil with a low smoke point at high temperature, is um... like, um... playing with fire.

I use olive oil for anything I can find an excuse to. I'm moving toward rendering my own animal fats but I'm intrigued with rice bran oil, especially for deep frying, thanks to this thread...

That's your opinion.  The world is large enough for opinions of all stripes, obvi.

One wouldn't want to use Extra Virgin olive oil for frying due to relative cost alone but Virgin olive oil, Pomace olive oil and extra light olive oil all have higher smoke points than lard.

I don't think I stated I was using extra-virgin olive oil for deep frying.  :rolleyes:

Recipes calling for neutral oil often suggest canola. I thought it was just me until this thread, but clearly there are others who detect a fishy odor and/or taste. I found that some brands were fishier than others, but gave up on canola totally when I discovered grape seed oil.

I can't see using olive oil for any cooking that involves very high heat or massive quantities, not only because the flavor seems to get lost, but also because good quality olive oil is pricey, so I too find it wasteful that way.

Lately I have been into baking cakes that use oil instead of butter; I'm not experienced enough to sub oil for butter, so I look for recipes that specify oil. Some recipes specify olive oil, such as various Italian style semolina cakes, etc. Others just say "vegetable oil," and leave it up to the baker. In that case, when I feel like a little flavor, I use a mix of olive oil and grape seed, which seems to work pretty well. I do like corn oil for things like pancakes and popping corn, but it would be nice to avoid the GMO's as Andie suggests. I don't find corn oil to be neutral and I like the taste of it, so what might be a good substitute for that corny taste? What do you use for popping corn on the stove top? What do you use in baking?

• Like 1

I don't think I stated I was using extra-virgin olive oil for deep frying.  :rolleyes:

Sorry if you took offense. I wasn't referring to you but rather separating it from other types of olive oil that can and often do get used for frying. I wanted to make the point that just because it's olive oil does not mean it has a low smoke point.. 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

Recipes calling for neutral oil often suggest canola. I thought it was just me until this thread, but clearly there are others who detect a fishy odor and/or taste. I found that some brands were fishier than others, but gave up on canola totally when I discovered grape seed oil.

I can't see using olive oil for any cooking that involves very high heat or massive quantities, not only because the flavor seems to get lost, but also because good quality olive oil is pricey, so I too find it wasteful that way.

Lately I have been into baking cakes that use oil instead of butter; I'm not experienced enough to sub oil for butter, so I look for recipes that specify oil. Some recipes specify olive oil, such as various Italian style semolina cakes, etc. Others just say "vegetable oil," and leave it up to the baker. In that case, when I feel like a little flavor, I use a mix of olive oil and grape seed, which seems to work pretty well. I do like corn oil for things like pancakes and popping corn, but it would be nice to avoid the GMO's as Andie suggests. I don't find corn oil to be neutral and I like the taste of it, so what might be a good substitute for that corny taste? What do you use for popping corn on the stove top? What do you use in baking?

I've been using rice bran oil in baking.  I sub it for butter in baking yeast bread, quick breads, cakes (except sponge cakes) and it is great for popping corn.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The avocado oil from Costco is $9.99 and I also picked up a bottle of roasted garlic EVOO, it was $8.89 and both are liters.

I used the RGEVOO this mourning for hash browns and the minute the oil hit the pan the smell of roasted garlic filled the kitchen.

I use the avocado oil for every thing but deep frying (don't do much of that anymore). My wife found out that the avocado oil is good for her skin, so there goes half my bottle. I was going to post a photo of the bottles but could not figure that out. Even my wife who is a GIS master could figure it out either.

A couple months ago I discovered an olive oil speciality store, almost across the street from the Farmer's Market.  I just finished a small bottle of their butter flavored olive oil.  They also have coconut oil and infused flavored white and red balsamic vinegars.  I mixed some pineapple white balsamic vinegar with a BBQ sauce and it went well with chicken. I will check out the Asian market for rice bran oil and see if they have any.  

The avocado oil from Costco is $9.99 and I also picked up a bottle of roasted garlic EVOO, it was $8.89 and both are liters.

I used the RGEVOO this mourning for hash browns and the minute the oil hit the pan the smell of roasted garlic filled the kitchen.

I use the avocado oil for every thing but deep frying (don't do much of that anymore). My wife found out that the avocado oil is good for her skin, so there goes half my bottle. I was going to post a photo of the bottles but could not figure that out. Even my wife who is a GIS master could figure it out either.

When you click on reply and get the window, click on "More Reply Options"  which will add a pane where you can select photos to upload and then select the ones you want to include in your post.  Very simple, very quick.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

See Liuzhou I did it again (Latter) . So is this forum about food or a spelling contests? 'cuz if it is spelling then I need all the help I can get so should I send my replies to you to proof read before posting? Back to the topic ten bucks for the avocado oil and nine for the RGEVOO at costco.

Oil.JPG 

Edited by Willie (log)
  • Like 2

I like California Olive Ranch EVOO. I haven't tried their infused varieties yet.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thanks Ashen.

I actually learned about it from others who buy it at Costco, unfortunately, the closest Costco is 125 miles away.  :huh:

How do you like the oil?

It is great for certain applications.  I don't like to add oil to meat or fish marinades that are  grilling over charcoal, it is such high temp that it generates an off taste.   Small amounts of this avocado oil in marinades  has a cleaner taste.  Depending whether the flavour of the oil is compatible with what I am cooking, it is great for shallow or pan frying , pork chops , boneless breasts in cast iron pan for example.  The high smoke point means you get a great sear with a clean taste. 

It is ok in vinaigrettes and dressings but for those things I still much prefer extra virgin avocado oil  which I don't buy often  or EVOO.  The last bottle extra virgin avocado oil I bought had a pretty steep price though, so I tend to just get a  nice EVOO for  fresh/cold use. 

Edited by Ashen (log)
  • Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I like California Olive Ranch EVOO. I haven't tried their infused varieties yet.

California Olive Ranch EV is good stuff.  It's not a "great" olive oil, but very good nonetheless.  It's one of three that we use as our regular, everyday EVOO.  It's nice that they list the harvest date on the bottle, and that they use green glass bottles.

If you can find it (it's usually available around November +/- ), you should try their Olio Nuovo EVOO, although it's too good to cook with.  Other oils they produce and market can be found here: http://shop.californiaoliveranch.com/?gclid=COyPpfLT2b4CFeHm7AodMjcAKA

• Like 1

... Shel

Guys - we all use extra virgin olive oil, butter, pork fat and lard, ghee, suet, and various nice oils that are expensive in large quantities (coconut, avocado, grapeseed etc.), and not including peanut oil (to which I have an aversion).

Thanks to everyone for their informative answers, but please go back to the original question which was - what NEUTRAL and NON-SCREWED-WITH oil do you use when called for in LARGE QUANTITIES? 

E.g. for deep frying. I was not asking people for their every-day cooking oils. The most interesting answer here so far has been rice bran oil, which I intend to investigate.

(Makes me realize I have to phrase topic questions better when making the original posting. People coming in 4 pages later are not likely to see the details.)

Er, sorry about that!

This will disappoint you, but on the rare occasions I deep-fry, I use peanut oil. To my taste it's neutral, I like the high smoke point, and it's inexpensive. I hadn't read about rice bran oil but may give it a try after reading this topic.

If I couldn't / didn't want to use peanut oil, then I'd probably go with safflower or sunflower oil for deep frying; grapeseed is too expensive for me to use in that quantity. I've been considering going back to the old home ways and using Crisco, or perhaps lard, but not actually tried it yet.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

<snip>

Thanks to everyone for their informative answers, but please go back to the original question which was - what NEUTRAL and NON-SCREWED-WITH oil do you use when called for in LARGE QUANTITIES?

olive oil.

if we're talking about deep-frying, that would be pure olive oil.

for everything else, extra-virgin olive oil. for instance, the broccoli rabe tonight was braised in 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil and 1/2 cup water.

2nd place is unsalted butter, and the rest of the fats I gave in the previous answer in further decreasing quantities by comparison.

I guess I didn't  parse the original post properly.. I thought it was actually two questions.  

what regular neutral oil do we have for  everyday use ,  and  then the deep frying issue separate. 

For deep frying I use  veg oil,  canola or soybean usually 

• Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I posted upthread about which oils I use for deep frying, but I'll repeat them here: corn oil, vegetable oil, canola oil.  And again, I do not find/smell anything wrong w/ canola oil.  Sorry, but to me peanut oil and olive oil are NOT neutral in taste or smell especially for deep frying at suitable temperatures.  I use peanut oil on occasion for stir-frying and other Chinese-type cookery and the taste the food acquires is pleasant but the smell of hot peanut oil is very noticeable to me.

But that wasn't your original question. Go back and read it. You asked two questions.

I mean - what is your generic cooking oil 

Mention of deep frying was only tagged on as a supplementary question at the end.

And when it comes to deep frying, and you need a quart or more of oil - what are you going to use?

Nor did you mention 

what NEUTRAL and NON-SCREWED-WITH oil ...

Anyway, most people have answered both questions.

I will repeat my original answer. For general frying with a truly neutral tasting oil, especially but not exclusively for Chinese food, rice bran oil. For most European style dishes, olive oil. I also use lard (pig fat) a lot.

For deep frying, the same rice bran oil or duck fat for potatoes.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto