• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What cooking oil do you use?

patrickamory

Can't stand the fishy odor of hot canola. 

I hate that stuff!!!!

Ironically, my B-I-L works in the canola oil industry.

I love avacado oil but it's not available locally and rather expensive ordered in.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I was at the Asian Market the other day and noticed they had Genco olive oil in gallon tins.  Isn't that the company that was owned by Don Corleone?

Genco Pura Olive Oil Company .... we were just talking about that in this afternoon's film class.

... Shel

Rice bran oil looks intriguing.

Indeed, time to see what it sells for at the local Asian megamart...

Otherwise, I use olive oil, grapeseed oil, and unsalted butter, in roughly that order. For a while I used virgin coconut oil, but it really does impart a coconut taste (great for Thai and S Indian, not so much for other stuff), and peanut oil, but it's not as neutral as I'd like either.

The drippings from a rasher of streaky bacon have been known to grease my pan, too...

For deep frying though… maybe most of you don't do any? Grapeseed would get pretty expensive.

Agreed (at least for myself) and even peanut oil can be a bit pricey. Reluctantly I will use canola oil for deep frying.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

For deep-frying (i am, in fact, doing this as we speak/write) I tend to use vegetable  oil/corn oil/canola oil.  Using olive oil is SUCH A WASTE in my opinion, unless one were independently wealthy and/or of such substantial financial resources that such things did not matter.

I may be misinformed, but a lot of olive oil-producing/consuming countries use olive pomace oil for deep frying. It's much more neutral and has a higher smoke point (and is a lot cheaper!)

For a "neutral" COOKING oil  I alternate between  rice bran oil, grapeseed oil, sunflower seed oil - all Non-GMO.

For high temp frying I use rice bran oil but recently I tried REFINED safflower oil (500° smoke point) It is excellent for high temp stir-frying. 

I stopped using canola oil because so much is GMO - same with corn oil. 

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Canola also smells rancid the second the bottle is open, and is even worse when heated

I haven't noticed the 'rancid right off the bat' bit, but to me it develops a fishy flavor and odor as soon as it's heated.  If restaurants where I eat are using canola in their cooking, then they're using a better grade than I do, or doing something different.  I generally use safflower or sunflower oil when I need a neutral, high-smoke-point oil.  I occasionally splurge on a bottle of grapeseed oil, but it's expensive and I usually don't get through it before it's gone off.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I've tried several of the recommended 'premium' Canola oils...tried keeping the quantity small so it gets used up promptly...tried keeping it very cool...it's all garbage.

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I dislike using canola oil for anything, with all due respect for Canadians.  But as far as I know it has a higher smoke point than grapeseed oil.  Avocado oil is $15 for a tiny can.  What oils have as high or higher smoke point than canola?

And, yes, I've read McGee.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I believe  refined soybean, safflower or sunflower oils have higher smoke points than canola.   Information varies depending on which lists you look at , but most list these  higher than canola. 

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Safflower (refined) smokes just shy of Avacado, allegedly.

I plan to give this Avacado oil a try (1500ml for ~$30 and 'free' shipping.)

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)