• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What cooking oil do you use?

patrickamory

What cooking oil do you use? I don't mean specialized oils or fats for certain purposes - butter for Northern European, olive oil for Mediterranean, ghee for Indian, manteca for Mexican, rendered pork fat or lard for Thai and some Chinese.

I mean - what is your generic cooking oil - for when any of the above adds more character than you want from your fat?

Many people recommend peanut oil but I can't stand it - it reminds me too much of peanut butter, one of the few foods I simply will not eat.

I have been using "vegetable oil" (i.e., soybean oil) in recent years, and now I read that being highly processed, and probably from GM soybeans, it may not be good for me.

I'd be happy to use coconut oil for many applications, but it's extremely expensive. Works very well nonetheless in Southern Indian and many Southeast Asian dishes. I'm not sure it would be appropriate for most mainland Chinese dishes, however.

And when it comes to deep frying, and you need a quart or more of oil - what are you going to use?

I don't cook with oils other than olive oil or butter.  Very rarely lard.  I use spray on grape seed oil for a non-stick coating (for example in plastic bags for retarding bread dough), or use spray on canola for a pan coating where high heat is necessary.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

High oleic safflower oil, when I want a neutral cooking oil or when I'm making mayo.

But, I find ghee works with almost anything. 

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

For asian stir fry or asian-style pancakes I use peanut oil. When a recipe calls for an essentially flavorless vegetable oil I use either grape seed or corn oil, although I do think corn oil has a slight corny taste; in some things I guess I like that. I don't deep-fry anything, so quantity isn't an issue. I would say olive oil is my go-to for most everything else, or butter, although I have cut way way back on butter. I never use safflower, sunflower or canola. I find canola to have a fishy taste, which I know sounds weird.

Olive oil when I want it to taste like olive oil, or very refined safflower oil when I want something that's neutral or can handle high heat.

I do a lot of sous-vide cooking of proteins, which means browning food as quickly as possible in a hot pan. I find olive oil unsuitable for this. I don't get scorched oil, because I can get food in fast enough to cool it, but the pan frequently goes up in flames from oil vapors carried up in the splatter. This never happens when I use more refined oils.

There are many high heat oils that just as good as safflower. I made my choice based on the quality and price of products where I shop. 

Besides heat tolerance, I often don't want an oil with an assertive flavor. Olive oil has one, and so doesn't go with everything.

I don't usually cook in butter when searing. I'll use a neutral oil, and then if finishing in the pan, turn the heat down and add butter. Baste with it while it browns. Much better butter flavor than you can get from clarified butter.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

I do what is in my tradition, mainly extra virgin olive oil. I buy from a deli close by an oil from my hometown.

I truly dislike peanuts (and peanut butter) but the refined peanut oil (I subscribe on amazon) doesn't taste of peanut as the asian brands and I mainly use for deep frying. I also have some expeller pressed coconut oil that is cheaper, less expensive and odorless. Then in cooking meats I often use tallow, lard, ghee, butter.

But my staple is extra virgin because for me it's not an oil for salad only. Maybe my palate is different, it's an acquire taste and I never find overwhelming unless is a particular spicy oil.

Edited by Franci (log)

For general purpose/frying/stir-frying/sautéeing/cooking:

1) Vegetable oil.

2) Corn oil.

3) Canola oil.

4) Olive oil.  (frequently California Olive Ranch stuff)

5) Peanut oil.

In that order, more or less.

Deep frying w/ 1), 2) or 3) depending on which one is currently the one in the gallon jug on the side of the stove.

I use butter, coconut oil, olive oil, lard and the like mostly......depends upon what I'n cooking. I avoid polyunsaturated fat as much as possible, and canola oil...it's the work of the Devil!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I too use mainly rice bran oil. I do find it truly neutral in taste, unlike peanut oil which I can always taste. I do use peanut oil, but usually only in stir fried dishes. An egg fried in peanut oil is, in my view, disgusting.

On the rare occasions my local shop is out of rice bran oil, I'll probably go for sunflower oil.

I also use a lot of duck fat (I eat a lot of duck and render the fat. It lives in a big bowl in the fridge and lasts forever. Fried or roast potatoes in duck fat are to die for. Home rendered lard, too, mainly for stir frying green vegetables Chinese style.

I always have olive oil, but never use for Chinese food (of course).

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Olive oil is my go-to, since it's what I grew up with, and seems 'normal'. I also use a fair amount of grape-seed oil, since I'm with liuzhou in finding olive oil very wrong for Chinese dishes (also, for several other cuisines/dishes). I keep rendered duck fat in a little cup of it in the fridge, but tend to save it for special things, since I never have that much of it.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org