• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean Cookbooks

ElsieD

I recently purchased Cooking Light: Global Kitchen by David Joachim. I have only had it for a week but have already cooked three recipes from it. They are Korean-Style Beef Tacos with Quick Pickled Cabbage, Spicy Korean Pork Barbecue with Raw Summer Kimchi and Korean Stewed Chicken with Spinach which I liked so much I am making it again for dinner tonight. I have no idea how authentic these recipes are, but I do know that I really liked them. So much, in fact, that I would like to buy a Thai Korean cookbook. The problem is, I have no idea which one. I am hoping that you can suggest a few. I am just a home cook and am not looking for anything too complicated by which I mean recipes that call for a boatload of ingredients. I do have access to most Thai Korean ingredients so that is not a problem.

Thank you!

Host's note: At ElsieD's request, "Thai" was changed to "Korean" to reflect her original intent. Several responses regarding Thai food had already been added, so the word "Thai" was kept visible in order to preserve the sense of the rest of the topic.

Edited by Smithy (log)

Charmaine Soloman's Thai cookbook is very approachable. I have had this book for years and have used it a lot. Have not had a bad recipe from it. She also has a fanatastic book called The Complete Asian Cookbook which has recipes from a number of countries in SE Asia....I have used it so much that I had to buy another one because the first one was falling apart.

A few points:

-I'm confused because you said you really enjoyed 2 Korean-influenced dishes and then asked for a Thai cookbook.

-Most Thai food uses a lot of ingredients. They aren't complicated; it's just how they are. Often, many ingredients are combined in a paste or dressing, which doesn't create more work - just more flavor. I'd suggest trying recipes even if they have a "boatload" of ingredients before avoiding them for that reason.

-As far as cookbooks, David Thompson's Thai Food is the bible. Incredibly detailed and incredibly comprehensive. A fantastic, huge book. Andy Ricker's Pok Pok is also fantastic, and might be a better place to start.

A few points:-I'm confused because you said you really enjoyed 2 Korean-influenced dishes and then asked for a Thai cookbook.-Most Thai food uses a lot of ingredients. They aren't complicated; it's just how they are. Often, many ingredients are combined in a paste or dressing, which doesn't create more work - just more flavor. I'd suggest trying recipes even if they have a "boatload" of ingredients before avoiding them for that reason.-As far as cookbooks, David Thompson's Thai Food is the bible. Incredibly detailed and incredibly comprehensive. A fantastic, huge book. Andy Ricker's Pok Pok is also fantastic, and might be a better place to start.

Well, now, I am embarrassed. The title should be Korean Cookbook, not Thai although I am happy to have received the suggestions for the Thai books as well as that also intrigues me. I can no longer edit my entry so have written to a moderator to see if they can change the title of the post. Don't know what I was thinking.

Elsie

Well, now, I am embarrassed. The title should be Korean Cookbook, not Thai although I am happy to have received the suggestions for the Thai books as well as that also intrigues me. I can no longer edit my entry so have written to a moderator to see if they can change the title of the post. Don't know what I was thinking.

Elsie

Until you find a Korean cookbook to your liking, you won't go far wrong with recipes and videos from here:

http://www.maangchi.com

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I visit Korea on a semi-regular basis and - being fond of the local cuisine - have bought a couple of koren cookbooks over the years. In my opinion "The Korean Table: From Barbecue to Bibimbap" by Taekyung Chung is a nice mixture of authentic and approachable.

• Like 1

Elsie

If it makes you feel any better, I apparently can't count to 3 - which is how many dishes you listed, not 2 as I said. But Korean is delicious too! Unfortunately I don't have any cookbook recommendations for this one.

I visit Korea on a semi-regular basis and - being fond of the local cuisine - have bought a couple of koren cookbooks over the years. In my opinion "The Korean Table: From Barbecue to Bibimbap" by Taekyung Chung is a nice mixture of authentic and approachable.

Much as I love (and have cooked from) Momofuku, The Korean Table is much more approachable for the home cook.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I have decided that for now at least, I will get the book From the Korean Table: From Barbecue to Bibimpap. I am also thinking of getting Charmaine Solomon's book The Complete Asian Cookbook. In looking for reviews for these books, it was pointed out that Solomon's book was published in the 1970s and was thought to be dated. Is that the case? I know she is Australian and that Australians have been cooking with things like lemongrass and fish sauce since before we in Canada ever heard of them so maybe the outdated comment doesn't stand up? AnnaN I have also subscribed to maangchi, thanks for that. Looks interesting. Thanks to those who responded.

An introductory series with some American influences would be the PBS series, The Kimchi Chronicles.  We enjoyed the story, food and video travelogue aspects of the show.

The recipes in the cookbook reflect Korean influences but consider what's available in the USA.

I have decided that for now at least, I will get the book From the Korean Table: From Barbecue to Bibimpap. I am also thinking of getting Charmaine Solomon's book The Complete Asian Cookbook. In looking for reviews for these books, it was pointed out that Solomon's book was published in the 1970s and was thought to be dated. Is that the case? I know she is Australian and that Australians have been cooking with things like lemongrass and fish sauce since before we in Canada ever heard of them so maybe the outdated comment doesn't stand up? AnnaN I have also subscribed to maangchi, thanks for that. Looks interesting. Thanks to those who responded.

Solomon's book is readily available in many thrift stores for very few dollars. Even though it is old I still think you will get something out of it. (Too bad I didn't know all this when you visited. I have both.).

My 2004 eG Blog

Solomon's book is readily available in many thrift stores for very few dollars. Even though it is old I still think you will get something out of it. (Too bad I didn't know all this when you visited. I have both.).

I will be back in your neck of the woods July 4th weekend :). Since you say that I might be able to find it in a thrift shop I'll do some looking here. My sister volunteers in one in Barrie so I'll ask her to keep an eye out as well. Thank you.

I will be back in your neck of the woods July 4th weekend :). Since you say that I might be able to find it in a thrift shop I'll do some looking here. My sister volunteers in one in Barrie so I'll ask her to keep an eye out as well. Thank you.

Solomon's book was re-released in 2012:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Asian-Cookbook-Charmaine-Solomon/dp/1742701442/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401587083&sr=8-1&keywords=charmaine+solomon

If you're only interested in the Korean portion, it looks like the book has also been broken down and published by region, as well:

http://www.amazon.ca/Complete-Asian-Cookbook-Japan-Korea/dp/1742706835/ref=sr_1_14?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401587205&sr=1-14&keywords=charmaine+solomon

It may have been re-released but even the author admits that little was changed so it's worth finding the original at a bargain basement price.

My 2004 eG Blog