• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vintage Toaster repair

Chuckd

I have a 1934 Toastmaster 1B5 (2 slice) art deco toaster that was fully restored several years ago but now the right heating element isn't working anymore.  I want to repair the toaster myself so that it can be a functioning centerpiece in my kitchen again.  Does anyone have any suggestions where I could get parts (specifically a heating element) for it?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Chuckd (log)

I have a 1934 Toastmaster 1B5 (2 slice) art deco toaster that was fully restored several years ago but now the right heating element isn't working anymore.  I want to repair the toaster myself so that it can be a functioning centerpiece in my kitchen again.  Does anyone have any suggestions where I could get parts (specifically a heating element) for it?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try contacting this seller on ebay - this item did not sell but ended two days ago.   I think I have a couple of beat up Toastmasters, will check to see if they have intact elements - I believe they work, just are cosmetically unattractive - dented, etc.

Have you checked here for info?

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

How do you know it is the heating element? There can be other reasons why the element is not functioning.

Do you have a volt/ohm meter? With the meter, you can check continuity and see if the problem is the heating element or if there is a disconnect someplace else.

I am not sure you can replace the heating element with one from another model. What you can do is the following, if indeed the heating element burnt out:

Measure the ohms of the working heating element, and buy some nichrome wire (ebay?). Measure out a length of nichrome wire of the same ohms with your meter, just rewind the heating element on the mica (can be asbestos) board.

dcarch

Chuckd, I do have a Toastmaster 1B5 that is intact and it was working when I stored it.  Cosmetically it suffered a dent - a victim of the '94 earthquake - so not attractive to collectors.

If you go to my blog on the "toasters" page and scroll down a bit more than half way - at the end of the "Toastmasters" pics, there is a photo of the toaster, to make sure it is like yours. "Another Toastmaster 1 B 5" 

I'll get it out and make sure it works and if it does, will send it to you for the cost of the shipping, if you want it. 

Or I can see if I can easily take it apart and just send the heating elements. 

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett