• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dolmalik Kuru Patlican (Dried eggplant)

After feasting on dolma's made by others, I have now gotten some bags of dolmalik kuru patlican (Miras brand) to try and make it myself.
For dolma's it's standard procedure to soak the dried eggplants. But since I'm looking into making another dish with this ingredient, I'm wondering if this is necessary in the same way like you soak Mexican dried peppers?

Is there some bitterness to be expected and should I throw out the soaking water? Has anyone got any experience stewing the dried eggplant in a sauce without soaking for instance?

I would assume that if for dolma it's standard to soak the dried patlıcan, for other dishes it would be too - after all, making dolma is quite a moist cooking method, and if soaking is necessary for that, I'm sure it is for any other applications. 

I don't know if the soaking liquid will be bitter - I might suggest soaking one in cup or something as an experiment and seeing how the water turns out.