• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dried Potato Leaves

gfron1

Shopping at an Asian market in Vegas last week I picked up a package of dried potato leaves.  That's all the label says.  A quick google search showed me all sorts of fresh potato leaf recipes in Asian cuisine and African cuisine, but nothing with dried. 

Before I start experimenting, any thoughts on how to best use them?  Thanks.

just says "potato leaves"  ...  nothing else.

I seem to remember potatoes are not a native food for the Asians, OTOH, sweet potatoes are common. Sweet potato leaves are a common vegetable in Asian countries. Regular potato leaves are supposed to be toxic.

dcarch

• Like 1

I seem to remember potatoes are not a native food for the Asians, OTOH, sweet potatoes are common.

Neither regular potatoes or sweet potatoes are 'native' to Asia, but both are widely eaten.

Is it possible that the 'potato leaves' are actually tomato leaves. See here.

Sweet potato leaves are certainly edible.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I grow sweet potato in my garden for the greens. They are very delicious stir fried. They also sell them in Asian stores. They are not cheap.

I have not seen dried potato leaves. From the picture, that would not be regular potatoes. They look like sweet potato leaves which has long stems. Typically dries vegetables are used in soups.

dcarch

• Like 1