• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The demise of the McD's 1 Euro Cheeseburger In Germany

IndyRob

http://qz.com/211907/germany-still-cant-forgive-mcdonalds-for-taking-its-e1-cheeseburger-away/

So it appears the frugal Germans aren't happy with the removal of the cheeseburger from the 1 Euro menu.  Yet, it hasn't been long since the McDouble (a double cheeseburger) was moved off the American $1 menu.  Given the fact that 1 euro is about $1.37 (about the same as said McDouble in the U.S. today), are European prices that different?  Labor costs mainly?

Sort of unrelated, but interesting, is the quote from Doug Goare, president of the company's European division...

“The German consumer tends to be very frugal,” Goare told analysts in the May 16 meeting. “And I would say they don’t have the same appetite for great-tasting food—I’ll get in trouble saying this—that the French have, okay? Food is a staple. And so there is a tremendous attention to value for the money.”

Wait, did he just diss his own product and an entire nation of customers?

Yes and Yes. But perhaps the Germans do not agree that McDonald's offers "great tasting food" and have voted with their wallets. Which, of course, is every consumer's right.

Yes and Yes. But perhaps the Germans do not agree that McDonald's offers "great tasting food" and have voted with their wallets. Which, of course, is every consumer's right.

McD's = Great Tasting Food?  I don't think so.  What McD's has done is reduce taste and quality to the lowest common denominator, and over time, the greater public has come to accept the food as the norm, or average.  Paraphrasing Mencken, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."  The Germans may have a higher standard ...

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I think the german mindset will favor rather larger burgers on offer, offering more substance for a comparably smaller invest. I am thinking Big Tasty Bacon in a Maxi Menu. But then again, it could be only me ....