• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lard weight to volume

lame username

My husband wants to deep fry a whole chicken in lard. My local farmer's market has leaf lard from heritage pigs in 1-1.5 lb. pucks, but I'm not sure how many pounds I would need to submerge a 3 lb. chicken in an 10" diameter pot. Does anyone have a rough idea?

Inventing the Universe

Here in the South, we don't hide crazy. We parade it on the front porch and give it a cocktail.

The devil is in the details but God is in the fat.

I use this converter, http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_volume_cooking.htm, which I've found to be pretty accurate (I checked; the list includes lard). You're still going to want to figure out how much liquid the chicken is going to diplace, to avoid a flood, but you'll have a starting point.

Many thanks! Exactly what I needed. I'll be sure to bookmark it for future reference.

Inventing the Universe

Here in the South, we don't hide crazy. We parade it on the front porch and give it a cocktail.

The devil is in the details but God is in the fat.

It's a similar procedure to figuring out the oil needed for a turkey fry. Put the chicken in the pot, add water, a pint at a time until the chicken is fully submerged and there's still adequate clearance to the top of the pot (you might need a taller pot than you think). Remember how many pints of water you added and that's how many pints of lard you need. Lard is slightly lighter than water so if you buy at 1 pound = 1 pint, you're guaranteed to have enough plus a little extra for insurance.

• Like 1

PS: I am a guy.