• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to Get Cake Decoration Items?

aman23

Hi Guys,

I am an amateur baker. Looking to source some cake decoration edibles for my cakes and cupcakes. Would love to know where to source these from? I checked out ccds but, its super-expensive. I mean, I am open to paying extra for Wilton products, but since I am just starting out, looking at more pocket-friendly options.

Thanks! :)

King Arthur Flour carries colored sugars, sugar pearls, and a limited selection of seasonal decorations:  http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/ingredients/decorations

Fantes carries a wide array of cake decorating equipment, plus a small selection of decorating ingredients:  http://www.fantes.com/cake-decorating-ingredients.html

My local WalMart carries Cake Boss, Wilton, and another brand (can't remember which) of supplies, including paste colors, for reasonable prices.

Sur La Table has some good pastry items both online and in-store. The decoration items change seasonally. They are one of the few places you can actually see items in person. You may have an independent shop in your town, you'll need to do some sleuthing. Here in Phoenix, we have several local spots.

Okay Im really glad someone brought this up.

Japan and Australia have so much more than the USA does as far as cute cake decorating things. WHY?

As far as Japan goes, I was struck by visiting a Toys R Us in Japan in 2008. In the aisle with little kids' toys, ages 4-8 -ish, I found a cake decorating kit pretty much exactly like a Wilton or Ateco set, all small tips, but still, about 20 tips and piping bags. Culturally, we just aren't sitting kids down and teaching them to pipe at age 4 and then having them keep up with practicing. So, we serve a lot less home-decorated foods, thus less of a market develops.

I wish that when I was 4 and learning to embroider, and cook, my mom had been able to teach me cake decorating -but, she doesn't know how, so there was no way for her to teach the skills.

There is a shop in lower Michigan called The Baker's Nook. I could not believe one shop had so much to offer!  Now they have an amazing website you can order from...

www.shopbakersnook.com  

They carry lots of Wilton items, but also pre-made gum paste flowers-- darn near every type, color and size. Since we moved from lower Michigan to the UP, and have limited selection of items here, I've used this site to order wedding cake supplies, flowers and decorations, and short-notice cake projects- when I don't have time to get it all done.  They also have ALOT of candy making supplies.  Pricing is quite reasonable.

HTH

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin: