• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Packed Lunches

CKatCook

I work a very busy job, as most people I suppose. When it comes to lunch time I am lucky to get time to eat. Let alone go out anywhere outside the office eat (It is a rare day that happens for me). Short of getting a new job, I have to pack my lunches. The problem? I am in a serious packed lunch rut. I have looked around on the internet, I have checked out cookbooks, everything seems either 1) geared toward kids or 2) made of wraps and sandwiches. I am SICK of wraps and sandwiches! Salads always work, but then I get tired of that too. Storage is not an issue, there is a refrigerator and microwaves. I am in an office environment, so keeping stuff fresh is not an issue. I just desperately need to "mix it up". 

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies!

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Ramen bowls.  Other noodle bowls (not ramen).

Assuming you have access to either a microwave or a source of hot water (like those coffee machines in almost every office).  You don't have to get the bottom-of-the-barrel types of ramen/whatever bowls, there are some very good ones (both Japanese and non-Japanese).  Of course, if you have a deep-seated aversion to "instant food" then this is not for you.

Can't you cook a bit more of whatever you had for dinner and take it with you to work and reheat it?  There are any number of delicious stews and casseroles and similar dishes, which stand up very well to being reheated and in fact often improve with being left overnight.  Or other drier things like baked chicken, fried chicken, whatever-you-had-for-dinner meat and veg including pasta that would be OK with reheating. There is, indeed, no requirement that lunches at work be wraps and sandwiches and such. :-)  

Of course, what your colleagues will stand in terms of odor will be a factor.  It might be iffy to take leftover Bak Kut Teh (for example) to work and reheat it in the microwave, for example. :-D  I also read threads about the no-nos of reheating fish (fried or otherwise) in office environments. ;-)

Yup, as Huiray notes, the smell issue is a factor with reheating. When I was in a traditional office environment I got lots of satisfaction from grain based salads. I had a selection of "add-ins" like toasted nuts, dried fruits, fried shallots and similar bits to provide daily variety. I used the glass Lock & Lock containers and real tableware. In hot weather I went a more fruity direction with cheese and crackers alongside. Some seriously good cheese at lunch can turn a lousy day into a quite tolerable one. Lunch is in fact a valuable break in the day.

I feel the same way about work lunches. Leftovers from supper the night before, sometimes good, sometimes not so much. Cold sandwich??? Not every day. I'll be watching for ideas.

Dwight

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised.