• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Switzerland spirits run?

mhdousa

I've got some friends visiting Switzerland this month. Anything of note that I should ask them to bring back for me? Preferably something that mixes well.

I am not a very devoted spirit drinker, so advice from real experts should definitely be valued above mine!!

There's a lot of plum, apple, kirch and pear spirits which are allegedly good but not something you won't find anywhere else. Also Appenzeller bitter, which I guess is typical, and kind of unique, personally I am not a great fan, but I have lots of acquaintances who swear by it.

While writing the above, I realized that with regards to fruit spirits, abricotine (sorry no English entry) is probably less easy to get at other places. Even I do drink it, in very moderate quantities.

Edited by fvandrog (log)

I would ask for some fruit eaux-de-vie as suggested above. I am not sure where you are located, but in the US they can be hard to find and you don't get the same selection for sure, plus they are easily twice the price. The quality is excellent - I have various ones from Etter and a very nice pear Williamine from Morand.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Anyone know if some of the more difficult-to-find amari, like Amer Picon, would be available in Switzerland?

Picon Biere liqueur (the orange label) is likely to be available in better-stocked shops around Geneva...I would imagine you'd be less likely to find it in more predominately German-speaking areas.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour