• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southern Comfort Alternatives

pto

A friend asked me to make a drink that calls for southern comfort, which I dont have and dont really want to buy bottle of. Could I approximate it with some mix of bourbon and peach liqueur?

A friend asked me to make a drink that calls for southern comfort, which I dont have and dont really want to buy bottle of. Could I approximate it with some mix of bourbon and peach liqueur?

You can probably get pretty close...not many folks drink SoCo for the flavor. You might want to add a dash of something with a bit of orange flavor, as well (Cointreau, Triple Sec, etc.). Alternately, pick up a bottle of Sweet Lucy.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

What's the drink? eta: Can your friend provide the SoCo? It's a bit much to ask you to make a drink and expect you to buy something just for that purpose.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Maybe infuse the bourbon with peach bubblegum for a while? I seem to recall SoCo having a bubblegum like flavor. Though I cannot say it is something I have ever ingested while in full possession of my decision making faculties...

In fact an Alabama Slammer was the drink she wanted. She wasn't pushing it, just a drink she likes and it was an informal get together. I steered her towards something else, introducing her to a new drink that she liked. However, its also equally fun to me to make someone exactly what they want.

Thanks Dan, Ive got Cherry Heering, I'll try your suggestion next time there's a need for Soco.

Cherry Heering's probably the closest match for whatever they add to SoCo, but for a different taste sensation, one of the folks at Death and Co., I believe, updated the amaretto sour by adding bourbon to the recipe, and I can attest that bourbon and good amaretto make good partners, so long as you don't mind the extra sweetness.

The LI iced tea?  No way to make that taste like anything special!

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

Cherry Heering's probably the closest match for whatever they add to SoCo, but for a different taste sensation, one of the folks at Death and Co., I believe, updated the amaretto sour by adding bourbon to the recipe

Something like this?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The LI iced tea?  No way to make that taste like anything special!

I don't know about "anything special," but both Jeffrey Morgenthaler (he of the upgraded Amaretto Sour above) and Giuseppe González came up with similar ways to salvage the LI Iced Tea (i.e., fresh juice, thoughtfully selected spirits, a total ABV that won't put you under). I don't really care for the Coke floats though. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937