• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Codlo?

I've been reading codlo, sous-vide guide & recipes, by Grace Lee.  The codlo sounds like far too little too late.  I don't quite understand why one would want one, but I have no axe to grind.

Does anyone have a codlo or know anything about it?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Good questions, Jo. As far as I can see it's just a PID controller like the Sous Vide Magic. They work very well on a rice cooker, although I'll grant the Codlo is much prettier than the SVM.

But post-Anova et al I think they've missed the boat.

Incidentally: www.codlo.com

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

My thought on that device is that it would make a much prettier temperature controller for a fridge/freezer, if you were wanting to keep an affinage space or a charcuiterie aging chamber... don't see the utility on the hot side any more.  But Ranco and Johnson and heaps of cheapie Chinese PID controllers on Ebay are probably going to price undercut them.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

As it happens, I glanced at the Codlo website less than a week ago, drawn there by a listing of the cookbook/guide on Amazon.  At the time, I inferred the Codlo was a failed Kickstarter project.  On closer review, I notice blog posts which reflect  they're still gamely marching on towards completion and shipment.  It's more interesting to me as a case study in how Kickstarter works than as a worthy SV/LT option.  Here's a small group, Grace and friends, turning out for a small group of backers (just over a thousand) a device which was more-or-less obsolete before they started.  (Not that I have anything against the in-line PID controller approach.  Indeed, I still use mine, an Auber.  But it's not something I'd recommend to anyone starting out today, or even last year.)  It's all rather quaint. in a good way

On a separate note, Jo, what's your opinion of the Codlo guide?.  My sense was that it wouldn't be much help to me, as I have Baldwin (both his book and online guide), a few other books (including Modernist Cuisine at Home) and several years experience with the technique.  More importantly, is the Codlo guide something you would recommend to folks just learning SV/LT?  Not in place of Baldwin or MCaH, necessarily.  There's a lot to be said for having more than one book on any technique.  I'm just asking whether this is worth recommending to beginners.  Or experienced low temp cooks, for that matter.

I am now about halfway through the book.  Although the recipes specify use of the Codlo (naturally), any water bath sous vide device would do.  From my limited sous vide experience the recipes look sound, and they specify ingedients by weight.  Though I was taken somewhat aback that the one lobster dish called for canned soup.  However my own sous vide lobster was so bad I can't point many fingers.

There are a number of Asian recipes that look interesting.

I'd say the Codlo guide appears to be more useful than, say, Under Pressure.  The resource I use most myself is Baldwin's on line guide (I did four pork chops 58 deg C for 1 1/2 hours tonight with the Anova).

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Good questions, Jo. As far as I can see it's just a PID controller like the Sous Vide Magic. They work very well on a rice cooker, although I'll grant the Codlo is much prettier than the SVM.

But post-Anova et al I think they've missed the boat.

Incidentally: www.codlo.com

Agreed Codlo is much prettier than our SousVideMagic (SVM).

But here are differences:

1. SVM is voltage universal (90V to 240V) with IEC C14 power socket. One controller to work in all countries.

2. Casing is heavy gauge aluminum  extrusion. Sturdy and efficient heat sinking.

3. SVM is at is sixth generation iteration since 2007.

4. SVM is a 15A controller, that means it can control heaters up to 1800W (110V) and 3300W (220V).

5. LED display is very bright and can be monitored 5 meters away.

etc.

Codlo is definitely a well conceived product and very user friendly.