• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spanish Wines

GordonCooks

Other than a few dalliances with Vega Sicilia Unico and sherry - my knowledge of Spanish wine is weak. I'm attending a dinner featuring wines by "Compania Vinicola del Norte de Espana" (CUNE) - Does anyone have any info?? Specifically vintages or special bottlings to look for?

Thanks

Here's some info from Mitchell Beazley's pocket guide (2nd edition) from about 1988. Sorry it's not more up-to-date.

Founded in 1879 in the full flush of the 19th Century Rioja boom and has been making excellent wines ever since.

Used to make a sparkling wine-Champagne method and also a brandy

Look for Imperial or Viña Real reservas.

Monopole is the white wine from CVNE

Contino is the red wine grown on the 40 ha vineyard at La Serna, in the Rioja Alvesa W of Oyon. The 1975 is a big, mellow, full-bodied wine with blackberry flavor and long finish.

The Contino is made by Sociedad Vinicola Laserna who are owned by CVNE.

The info above is dated but the wine is still very nice. I buy this often and have enjoyed it always.

BlackDuff

Contino's reputation has remained high through a string of excellent vintages in the nineties- 91, 94, 95, 96,97 are all highly rated (although 97 wasn't a particularly good year in Rioja)

CUNE have installed a controversial new vinification plant and some people believe that it has had a negative effect on quality.