• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 3)

mm84321

Rice with clear soup, braised eggplant, parboiled broccolini, generous amounts of sake.  Sorry, no pictures.  My first attempt at making dashi from scratch:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/21765-dashi/?p=1977154

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Is the yellow one a lone chanterelle?

It's another oyster mushroom. Pleurotus citrinopileatus. Sometimes called the "golden oyster mushroom". 

And what the heck it is this fuzzy fellow:

Monkey head mushroom (Hericium erinaceus) (also called lion’s mane mushroom, bearded tooth mushroom, bearded hedgehog mushroom, pom pom mushroom, or bearded tooth fungus. 

Interesting that you get them fresh. They are usually sold dried here, by which time they have turned a dark brown colour as can be seen here.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Mrs. Kim, your fuzzy mushroom looks like a tribble! ha!

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

It was 20 years ago, on the 4th of July, that my husband and I had our first date.  We watched the fireworks together  :wub:   With all of the "4th of July" food that we had last weekend,  we decided to have our champagne and favorite snack type foods last night to celebrate ( we don't celebrate our first date every year, but we felt 20 years was worthy  :wink:  )

photo.JPG

From the left going clockwise:

Shrimp, salami, mountain gorgonzola, granapadano stravecchio oro del tempo, hard boiled eggs, tomato/cuke/red onion tossed with smoked olive oil and red wine vinegar, olive spread, provolone piccante, wensleydale with cranberries (husband did NOT like this cheese) prosciutto and in the middle were olive oil and salt crackers.  And the star of the event Foie Gras with peach and fig preserves and a fig almond "cake".

edited to say that the foie was duck

----------

Kim, I have mushroom envy!

Huiray, I could never tire of seeing that delicious pasta.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 11

Shelby,

What a lovely feast. But even more what a lovely tradition. That Wensleydale cheese always looks just delicious but I don't like it either. I have bought it a few times to brighten up a cheese tray but it rarely disappears. The salad with the smoked olive oil is especially appealing.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Shelby,

What a lovely feast. But even more what a lovely tradition. That Wensleydale cheese always looks just delicious but I don't like it either. I have bought it a few times to brighten up a cheese tray but it rarely disappears. The salad with the smoked olive oil is especially appealing.

I didn't like the texture of that cheese.  It was ok...but not something I'll buy again.  And, now I'm stuck with that whole wedge.

I love smoked olive oil.  I put it on everything these days.  Really good on asparagus when you roast it.  Also good on squash.  That salad I made is really light--just seasoned with s and p.  It will be even better when and if we get some decent tomatoes out of the garden.

Yesterday we had Dutch potato salad and fried  beef sausages  and today we had burgers and chips, I skipped the bread,  I dont like  too much carbs on one plate.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I didn't like the texture of that cheese.  It was ok...but not something I'll buy again.  And, now I'm stuck with that whole wedge.

I love smoked olive oil.  I put it on everything these days.  Really good on asparagus when you roast it.  Also good on squash.  That salad I made is really light--just seasoned with s and p.  It will be even better when and if we get some decent tomatoes out of the garden.

Shelby,

Did you smoke the olive oil yourselves?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Shelby,

...and if so, how? Smoked olive oil is new to me, and something I'd like to try.

I love Wensleydale cheese, but it seems to me to be better without anything in it. I've been disappointed in Wensleydale-with-something cheeses, although I'm not necessarily averse to other cheese-with-something: for instance, cheddar cheese with embedded cumin seeds.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Ninagluck – nice plating.

Shelby – July 4th first date, and there was fireworks. Ha!

Kim – you may not know this. Those fungi are potent aphrodisiacs.

Huiray – in general, people are careful with cooking temperature when it comes to meat, but you are a master when it comes to vegetables.

SobaAddit – and you  are the masta of pasta.

Ann_t – whole chicken’s posture don’t look very good on a plate, but yours somehow look beautiful.

Mm84321 – once again, you are showing how much presentation can enhance the eating experience.

Rotus – one word for both your recent dishes; just delicious. OK, that’s two words.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few recent dishes:

dcarch

shrimps, fiddlehead fern, chanterelle mushroom suace

shrimpsfiddleheadchanterelle2_zps9acfc77

Shrimpsfiddleheadchanterelle_zpsf95355e1

Stuffed boneless wings

stuffedwingsbokchoi2_zpsdfa6994d.jpg

stuffedwingsbokchoi_zps361a7f68.jpg

Snapper, chanterelle mushroom fish roe sauce.

snapperchanterelle2_zps213f01af.jpg

snapperchanterelle_zpsef64b2f3.jpg

• Like 5

Soooooooooooo Delicious   all the above

fiddle heads , just for me maybe ,  are a bit to Fuzzy  and ive picked my own as I live in NE.

But Im glad they are enjoyed else where.

Shelby,

...and if so, how? Smoked olive oil is new to me, and something I'd like to try.

I love Wensleydale cheese, but it seems to me to be better without anything in it. I've been disappointed in Wensleydale-with-something cheeses, although I'm not necessarily averse to other cheese-with-something: for instance, cheddar cheese with embedded cumin seeds.

No, we didn't smoke it.  Here is the link to the olive oil site http://thesmokedolive.com .  I highly recommend getting some.

Maybe I'll give the Wens. cheese another chance if it's plain.......

Thanks Rotuts. I like finddlehead fern. I have some in the freezer so I can have some when the craving strikes.

Shelby, thanks. The wings were stuffed with love.  :laugh:

Shiitake mushrooms, some leftover turkey stuffing, finely chopped fresh water chestnuts, some spinach (the kind that is not too spinachy)

dcarch

[Moderator note: This topic continues here, Dinner! 2014 (Part 4)]

Edited by Mjx
Host note added. (log)
  • Like 2