• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 3)

mm84321

Kim Shook: Lidl's had   Greek Cheese, matured 24 months and it is a mix of cow, sheep and goat milk.  I have grated  the rest of it for future use this summer.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

• Soup: Tuscan kale & garlic; in chicken stock.

• Oyster mushrooms sautéed w/ julienned ginger & chopped parsley.

• Sliced shallots sautéed/caramelized in duck fat; stirred w/ stone-ground mustard & splashed w/ balsamic vinegar in the hot pan at the end.

• Duck livers, dressed w/ Redmond salt & ground black pepper, sautéed in duck fat + the pan residues from the sauté of the shallots.

• White rice (Thai Hom Mali).

DSCN1991a_800.jpg

DSCN1993a_500.jpgDSCN1996a_500.jpg

Cochon 2010 Petite Cochon Rouge (95% Syrah, 5% Viognier) earlier & while putzing around.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

Paella

Uhmmmmm.... Much as I love all your creations, and with all my respect, this time I must say that looks like a really wonderful rice, but not like an actual great paella. Paellas which are absolutely crowded with ingredients, up to a point when you cannot even see the rice, are not considered good paellas at its origin places (Valencia and Alicante areas in Spain), but rather "paellas for tourists". In an actual paella the rice is the king, and it must be shown. Meats, fishes, seafood or vegetables on top should be secondary items. A good paella should look like more like this picture.

That said, I would love to eat that great rice :smile:

• Like 1

20140701_171440_zpse7828126.jpg

Baked Chili dogs ala Karen  with  Swedish Makaronipudding with  corn, This is my husband plate and he refused veggies today.  Oddly enough dad little  mimic did like  mum today and ate salad .

It should be  mac and cheese with the dogs, but I dont like it nor does my husband, it just fatty and bland  according to us both and I have tried 58 recipes and now I have given up.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

EnriqueB,  Thanks then I dont feel  the odd one out when I have more rice and stuff on my paella.  I have a recipe I got from one  of my dad's co-workers.  A Spanish   Gentleman  with a love of cooking and a temperament to match.

Cassies recently found brother from New York came for a visit and we had ribeye steaks on the grill along with corn he had had before and specifically asked for: Grilled, cut off the cob and creamed with salt, cream, honey and butter, grilled bok choy, and twice baked potatoes.  Also store bought buns, and a vanilla custard/mixed fruit pie. I didn't have time to take any pictures. 

• Like 1

Pasta and stuffed focaccia and pizzas and chili dogs...Yum!

I'm single for the next few days and it is horribly triple H here.  Up early(430 am yesterday and 6 am this morning) to prep food.  Roast off chicken breasts; boil potatoes and pasta for salads; coleslaw made with a lime vinaigrette; steamed broccoli for a salad.  Picked up some local red leaf lettuce for salads and some BLTs.  Yesterday while shopping picked up a small ham steak to make ham salad to either go on crackers or that lettuce for a cold salad plate.

I've made carafes of tea and coffee.  Extra ice cubes bagged both up and downstairs.  Leftover coffee doused with French Vanilla creamer and frozen to go into the iced coffee.

Gotta make some fridge pickles.

Last night was a turkey burger with jalapeno jack cheese and Vidalia onion on a  pita and some so - so corn that processed through quite quickly.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Kim Shook, what effect does the marinade have on your London Broil meat? It looks great. It reminds me of an old favorite that goes by the name of "West Coast Flank Steak".

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Itek Tim.

Adapted from recipe P26 of "Irene's Peranakan Recipes" (Epigram Books).  Sliced pork belly, duck leg quarter pieces, preserved plums, smashed ginger (I was out of galangal), smashed garlic, cut-up pre-soaked pickled mustard (kiam chye), sea salt, sour tamarind pulp (two pods' worth, pre-soaked), water.  I skipped the brandy.  I added in a sliced-up ripe tomato, Teochew-like. :-)

• Simple fried rice w/ just chopped scallions (lots), very generous grinds of white pepper & a few dashes of fish sauce [Red Boat].

Edited by huiray (log)

Perhaps I am spoiled living in the craft beer capital of the world (San Diego) but why ruin great food with a really lousy beer ;)

I'm, perhaps, the only person alive that doesn't really care for specialty beers.  Give this Kansas/Colorado girl a Coors Light and she's a happy camper.   :biggrin:

• Like 2

When it's 105 on the plains, nothing beats a cheap American macrobrew. 

Just try some beer from any good brewery and most of them cover a large variety of styles (lager, IPA, weizen, porter, ESB etc.) and every beer will be better at 105 than something which tastes like diluted cow piss

Just try some beer from any good brewery and most of them cover a large variety of styles (lager, IPA, weizen, porter, ESB etc.) and every beer will be better at 105 than something which tastes like diluted cow piss

Freestate brewery in Lawrence makes some great beer. But I'm not drinking a Copperhead after mowing the yard. 

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

20140702_173138_zps9d3c9e95.jpg

Cider can chicken  was our dinner last night.  I got this great fresh chicken for next to nothing at the store where I normally shop.   So we skipped salmon today and will have that on Saturday instead.  

20140702_175130_zps4d6b9e96.jpg

We  had  gravy, cooked carrots, peas , potatoes and  a salad.  It was so yummy.

• Like 3