• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 3)

mm84321

Franci: I cant eat store bought mince from Chicken or Turkey, it horrible.  I miss mine myself, chunkier and yummier.

We had tacos tonight, wouldn't say it Mexican far from it but it is lovely and my daughter sudden ate cucumber , lettuce and onions with no problems. We always have Friday taco night when a certain  friend is over.  Sadly due to the thunderstorm that arrived  late in the day, he is stuck in a town 25 minutes  by car from us and missed dinner.  He will have it IF and WHEN he gets here.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

A couple of nights ago I made a classic sorrel sauce (Trois Gros recipe) to accompany a fillet of sockeye salmon. The sorrel is from my patio. This was accompanied by a Santa Barbara rosé.

It's nice how the acidity of the sorrel cuts through the cream & butter.

14509069754_1f2b2a6a2a_z.jpg

• Like 4

Franci, that speaks to the power of good food photography. I have to admit that, despite your comment, your photos make me want to make them! :-D

Pictures are deceiving. I think I would like this much more with lamb and rather than julienne the zucchini, I would have preferred grated.  But some people might like the contrast in texture. Matter of personal preferences for sure.

Franci: I cant eat store bought mince from Chicken or Turkey, it horrible.  I miss mine myself, chunkier and yummier.

Eh, eh, my fault here, I should have picked my ingredients better. I generally don't like chicken or turkey with few exceptions.

Chicken Sukka today, it turned out really  yummy , so yummy I forgot to take pictures.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I had some veggies etc. to use up, so I made a crustless quiche.  Ham, sharp cheddar, a few sliced black olives left over from pizza night, fresh dill, a few steamed brussels sprouts left over from meatloaf night, mushrooms and spinach.  Oh, and eggs lol.  Used up the very last of the asparagus and threw in some hash browns on the side.

photo 1.JPG

• Like 3

20140629_170251_zps9c3a2ae6.jpg

A proper roast dinner.  Pork loin roast with tatties, gravy, yorkies, vegs and   fresh salad.

20140629_172235_zps3cf7a272.jpg

Dessert  was a custard tart with strawberries.

• Like 5

no pic, but definitely more "rustic" than mm's beautiful plate...mostly local products tonight on the grill...Barnegat Bay swordfish, bicolor corn (prob not local, too early for NJ corn), and salad made with lettuce from my co-worker's garden (variety unknown, but it was a hearty leaf similar to romaine). Made a vinaigrette using some of my "quick" preserved lemons.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Mmm that looks good Steve.

Soaked cannellini beans overnight, then cooked them for 3 hours in a 250 degree oven with sweated onions, garlic, hyssop, sage, fifel chuma and a pinch of pimentón.

Drained, boiled down the liquid with some smashed beans, re-added the beans, another 30 minutes in the oven, left to cool, and served in a salad of romaine, dill, parsley, sage and hyssop with some lemon juice, chopped onion and some of the thickened liquid.

beans.jpg

Followed by spaghetti with a simple tomato and anchovy sauce, kind of a summer puttanesca.

spaghetti.jpg

• Like 3

Franci – I’m not a fan of turkey meatballs or burgers, either.  I don’t mind it in a sauce – spaghetti or lasagna, but a big chunk of it is unpleasant, I agree.

mm – gorgeous, gorgeous paella!  I could dive right in.

CatPoet – lovely Yorkies!

Dinner last night - started with a little relish plate:

med_gallery_3331_114_85982.jpg

And:

med_gallery_3331_114_8706.jpg

Chili dogs, beans and slaw.

• Like 2

Kim Shook:  would have been better but I had to open the oven before done and take them down a notch because they where going in to heating element on top and well a fire isnt a good thing.

• Battered & deep-fried halved zucchini w/ blossoms, and broccoli.  (Batter made w/ rice flour)  Chopped romaine.

DSCN1973a_600.jpgDSCN1978a_600.jpg

Later:

• Fusilli col Buco [Rustichella d'Abruzzo] w/ Hazan simple tomato sauce, using fresh ripe tomatoes.  Pecorino Romano.

DSCN1982b_800.jpg

• Like 2

simmer the cleaned octopus in 1:1:1 chickenbroth, whitewine, water, add 1 bayleaf and some chilie flakes for abt 45 min. in the meanwhile make the dressing  of 1 tbsp dijon mustard, 1 tbsp tomatoe paste, 2 tbsp sherryvinegar, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 minced  garlic clove, s+p, a little sugar. mix everything together and add abt 100 ml oliveoil. when the octopus is done, lift it out of the liquid, cut it in small bites and cook some waxy potatoes in the same stock. once they are soft, cut them in wedges, combine with the octopus and toss with half of the dressing. the rest of the dressing goes on the greens of your desire

from that book: http://www.amazon.de/New-Portuguese-Table-Exciting-Flavors/dp/0307394417/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_har?ie=UTF8&qid=1404157349&sr=8-1&keywords=the+new+portuguese+table

Edited by ninagluck (log)
  • Like 1

20140630_1712301_zpscfc0a394.jpg

Macaroni me kima, was on the menu today and we are not sure if we like it or not.  We had to omit the wine because  if we had bought one bottle cheap wine  the price for this dinner would have doubled and I cant afford that.  How ever my daughter loved it.

Edited by CatPoet (log)
  • Like 2

We had guests the other day. These what we put on the grill

image.jpg

Plus some salad, grilled vegetables and roasted peppers. I also baked some mini pizzas for children

image.jpg

And a stuffed focaccia with onions, capers olives and few cherry tomatoes

image.jpg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 4

CatPoet – your macaroni me kima looks fantastic.  I love Greek sauce.  What kind of cheese is that on top? 

Franci – great looking meal.  The kids would have had to share those little pizzas with me :biggrin: !

Last year someone here at eG recommended the NOH brand of char sui marinade and I tried it last night:

med_gallery_3331_114_14476.jpg

I’m sorry that I can’t remember who recommended it, because I’d like to say thank you.  We liked it a lot and will be using that brand again.  Was it as good as our favorite Chinese restaurant?  Not quite, but certainly cheaper and we have lots of leftovers!  (Bruce – I’m still determined to try the from scratch recipe that you were so kind to send me.)  Served with snow peas and kinda/sorta fried rice:

med_gallery_3331_114_150456.jpg

It’s kind of amazing to me how little of that florescent red penetrated the pork!  Do Chinese restaurants actually smoke the meat, so that it gets that ring? 

Tonight I marinated and grilled a London broil:

med_gallery_3331_114_52791.jpg

It’s an old favorite recipe from a local grocery chain (now defunct) – marinade ingredients include oil, Dijon, soy sauce, lemon juice, onions, garlic, pepper and Worcestershire.  The marinade is really good, but it does do a little bit of a number on the texture of the meat.  We still like it, though.  I also grilled some corn:

med_gallery_3331_114_162224.jpg

Got it a little overdone – it’s a bit shriveled.  Served with marinated cucumbers and slaw:

med_gallery_3331_114_515.jpg

• Like 3