• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 3)

mm84321

image.jpg

Sv'd ribeye with romaine done a la huiray (blanched quickly in water to which oil has been added).

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Kim, your short rib pie looks spectacular.  

Baselerd,  stunning photo.

My son has been visiting for the week so I'm still making  some of his favourites.   Unfortunately, he doesn't like pork or seafood so that leaves chicken, beef, more chicken and beef.

Last night's dinner.

Pollo%20Alla%20Marengo%20June%2023rd%2C%

Pollo Alla Marengo

Blueberry%20Pie%20June%2023rd%2C%202014-

Blueberry Pie for dessert.

Italian%20Chicken%20June%2020th%2C%20201

Italian roasted chicken with a side of pasta.

Burgers%20June%2022nd%2C%202014%201-L.jp

Burgers again.  This time with homemade potato chips.

• Like 6

Right now pork loin in the slow cooker to be served with some tomato couscous and a margarita salad.  Leftovers I'm thinking of thin slicing and serving with a jus and some leftover mashed sweet potatoes  and broccoli salad.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

So I thought I would do Kung Pao chicken to night and then  my brain said wait, make chicken fried rice  and two second later it screamed biryani and I ended up with this that is sort of a mix of them all but it was yummy.

20140624_170336_zps94e11ec0.jpg

• Like 2

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Peppercorn-crusted filet mignon, baked potato, and salad. Vanilla ice cream with homemade hot fudge sauce for dessert.

• Like 1
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Thanks, Patrick and all.

Tonight:  Chicken livers & snow peas.  Eaten w/ Fuzhou-type skinny wheat noodles (min6 sin3), cooked the usual way.

Trimmed & cleaned chicken livers were marinated w/ Shaohsing wine, "aged soy sauce", corn starch, a bit of sugar.  Trimmed snow peas were blanched in salted water, chilled, reserved.  Thinly sliced ginger & scallions trimmed into 2-inch pieces were sautéed in hot oil, the livers added, allowed to sit for a short bit then cooked/seared/tossed till the "leaking bloodiness" was almost gone.  Chopped de-seeded hot long green chillies added, followed shortly by the remainder of the marinade plus a bit of water, stirring the mixture.  The reserved snow peas went in, plus some ground white pepper, and everything stirred/tossed for a minute or less.  Served.  A riff off this recipe; proportions also altered.

DSCN1900b_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 4

Oh Now I miss my friend´s fathers venison meatloaf , lovely and  flavorful and secret ingredient was half a banana.

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Very artistic and tasty looking meals everyone. I found some shrimp and Louisiana Killer Shrimp Boil liquid in the freezer so defrosted them, shelled shrimp, got some mussels, green beans and romaine lettuce. I cooked the mussels in the shrimp boil first, then the shrimp.  Pasta boiled, garlic sauteed in butter, a pinch or two of red pepper flakes added and tossed with the pasta.  Green beans cooked with bacon, onions, and salt until tender, butter added.  Charlie will hardly ever touch salad but eats cooked vegetables so I tried something I have seen a couple people do here: blanching romaine in water with oil floating on top, and then sprinkled a little tangerine vinegar on it.  At least he ate it. 

DSCN1507_zps3a3010c6.jpg

DSCN1514_zps25c72da6.jpg

DSCN1518_zps8b3eb776.jpg

DSCN1511_zps17856813.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 4

• Tomato soup.

Ripe tomatoes - blanched, de-skinned, halved; de-seeded & de-"jellied" into a fine-mesh large sieve, pressing through juices; broken-up meat & sieved juices simmered w/ a finely chopped large shallot sautéed in EV olive oil, with added water & julienned basil leaves.  Some sea salt, a dash of aged balsamic vinegar & a quick pour of hon-mirin [Takara].  Simmered for about 40-45 minutes.  Pulsed roughly w/ a stick blender.  Eaten w/ a drizzle of black truffle oil & basil florets & small leaves.

DSCN1911a_800.jpg

• Green salad.

Red-streaked lettuce, young romaine, spinach.  Dressed w/ balsamic vinegar (Modena 10-year), EV olive oil [Alziari], sea salt & ground black pepper.

DSCN1915a_800.jpg

Later:

• Fedelini with garlic, mushrooms & parsley.

About a head's worth of garlic, smashed, de-skinned, chopped - sautéed in EV olive oil [California Ranch].  Sliced marinated button mushrooms & halved straw mushrooms added & sautéed; chopped parsley went in plus some Old Bay spice.  Al dente fedelini [De Cecco] then tossed in the pan, some water splashed in & stuff stirred/tossed; covered for a few minutes.

DSCN1919a_800.jpg

On the way there:

DSCN1906a_600.jpgDSCN1908a_600.jpg

The wine was Borsao 2013 Rosé (100% Garnacha).  No, it didn't go into the soup but went straight into me.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 6

Soba – yes, the pie crust for the short rib pot pie was from scratch.  A very easy food processor method.

Norm – thanks for the date shake method.  I need to try making one before we scarf up all our dates!  Your mussel and shrimp dinner was a perfect summer meal – wish I had something like that lined up for tonight!

Ann – though I am a big fan of pork and seafood, the dishes you made for your son look wonderful.  How I wish I could get such a great crust on my roast chicken!

huiray – that liver and noodle plate looked and sounded delicious!

Shelby – I’ve arranged with my BIL to get some venison if he gets a deer this fall, so I may be asking for some advice.  Also – how do you make your brown gravy?  It looks perfect.

scamhi – beautiful, beautiful halibut!  I love how the pure, white fish contrasts with the vegetal panko!

One of Mr. Kim’s co-workers sent these to me as a thank you for all the treats that I send in:

med_gallery_3331_114_1737.jpg

So I sautéed some cremini mushrooms:

med_gallery_3331_114_31684.jpg

And made a mushroom and Swiss cheese omelet for Mr. Kim’s dinner last night:

med_gallery_3331_114_73638.jpg

• Like 2

Poor mans food  from France, Italy and Spain is always seen as something posh  and fancy, well here is typical  poor man food from Sweden.  I think it should get 4 stars!   I love my falukorv, I dont eat it often  but when I do I go for the expensive good brand.  Falukorv is  name protected and you cant  put any type of meat in it either  or fillers, so that is one of the sausages I can and will eat.

20140626_171445_zps5eb131e4.jpg

Fried with ketchup  potatoes and peas &corn.  YUM!

• Like 3

Beef with zucchini & fennel.

White rice (Basmati).

The beef slices were marinated w/ Shao xing wine [Lam Sheng Kee], light soy sauce [Pearl River], ryori-shu [Morita], hon-mirin [Takara], ground black pepper, black sesame oil.  Hot pan, hot oil, plenty of chopped smashed garlic, beef slices, sliced trimmed fennel bulb; young zucchini, quartered, stir/toss around; rest of the marinade, cook till done.  Seasoning adjusted.

DSCN1922a_800.jpg

DSCN1923c_800.jpg

• Like 4

Franci, that speaks to the power of good food photography. I have to admit that, despite your comment, your photos make me want to make them! :-D

Hiuray: beautiful colors, and great presentation. That looks really tasty.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Soba – yes, the pie crust for the short rib pot pie was from scratch.  A very easy food processor method.

Norm – thanks for the date shake method.  I need to try making one before we scarf up all our dates!  Your mussel and shrimp dinner was a perfect summer meal – wish I had something like that lined up for tonight!

Ann – though I am a big fan of pork and seafood, the dishes you made for your son look wonderful.  How I wish I could get such a great crust on my roast chicken!

huiray – that liver and noodle plate looked and sounded delicious!

Shelby – I’ve arranged with my BIL to get some venison if he gets a deer this fall, so I may be asking for some advice.  Also – how do you make your brown gravy?  It looks perfect.

scamhi – beautiful, beautiful halibut!  I love how the pure, white fish contrasts with the vegetal panko!

One of Mr. Kim’s co-workers sent these to me as a thank you for all the treats that I send in:

med_gallery_3331_114_1737.jpg

So I sautéed some cremini mushrooms:

med_gallery_3331_114_31684.jpg

And made a mushroom and Swiss cheese omelet for Mr. Kim’s dinner last night:

med_gallery_3331_114_73638.jpg

Oh, Kim, I'm afraid you've outed me--the gravy is a store bought from Sam's dry mix.  Just boil water and stir it in.  I love it.   :blush:

I'd be honored to help with any venison questions--if I can't help you, then I know my husband can  :smile: